Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old May 26, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Expect $400 DL dollars but they won't go above $600 DL dollars for a domestic flight (a red coat must do $600).
In partial reference to the OP, is this amount also intended to cover costs if an overnight stay is required as a result of volunteering? Or in that case, would one also be able to negotiate a separate hotel voucher+meal vouchers on top of that?
Old May 26, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
There were some posters recently who reported $200 for overnight out of JFK.

On a related note, is it still SOP to book medallions into F/J if they volunteer?
Old May 26, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trek87
In partial reference to the OP, is this amount also intended to cover costs if an overnight stay is required as a result of volunteering? Or in that case, would one also be able to negotiate a separate hotel voucher+meal vouchers on top of that?

Generally, it's DL dollars + hotel voucher + meal vouchers, but I always make sure to ask.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by trek87
An overnight stay will have DL dollars and meals/lodging vouchers.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Awesome! Thank you for your reply. I've never volunteered for a later flight, but I might get the chance to try on a very full flight that I'm on this weekend out of DTW.

Is it typical for the F passengers to be offered more compensation? My father was flying SLC-PHL earlier this year in paid F (flight was very full due to many cancellations out of SLC to the NE that day), and he was offered $600 to take a flight the next morning.

Last edited by trek87; May 26, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old May 26, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Not always

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this particular post, but I have not found this to be the case in all situations.

I got bumped from a PDX-DTW flight last month to a PDX-MSP flight the next morning and was not given a hotel voucher. The GA told me that hotels must be separately negotiated; in my case it turned out not to be a big deal, since the PDX-MSP flight was so early that it wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense to waste the time going to a hotel, so I didn't pursue it.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I had a GA make an annoucement when she was asking for voluntears at LAX it was the red eye back to JFK and she was offering 400 and she specifically said if you live in the LA area no hotel voucher would be offered.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:03 am

And if it doesn't...Don't accept it. Should be $600 DLD, meals/lodging vouchers or find someone else.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by N231LA
And if it doesn't...Don't accept it. Should be $600 DLD, meals/lodging vouchers or find someone else.
Exactly. I don't know what GA would offer such and not do meals and hotel. If you take it w/o then shame on you.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Compensation

It has been policy if you are bumped from your initial destination leg of a flight you are not given a voucher. You should be offered one for any delays returning from your original destination. The problem with a red eye bump is that if you are on the initial flight out, you may not get much sleep due to the time to return home or even reach an airport hotel. Remember, you can always negotiate to a later departing flight or refuse the bump.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by jzumrick
It has been policy if you are bumped from your initial destination leg of a flight you are not given a voucher. .
This is false buddy!
Old May 27, 2010, 12:18 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

My experiences YTD:

March 2010
LAX-ATL [10:55PM flight]: $400, hotel voucher at LAX Crowne Plaza hotel, 2 meal vouchers covering dinner and breakfast, and rebooked into F.

April 2010
ATL-SLC [12:10PM flight IIRC]- $400, one meal voucher covering lunch, plus rebook on a later flight (4 hours or so). Ended up GA did not need my seat due to several misconnects.

May 2010
JFK-LAX [9:30PM flight]- $200, hotel voucher, and meal vouchers covering dinner and breakfast, rebooked on the next flight in the middle seat.

For JFK-LAX if they offer $200 and requires overnight stay, ditch it or negotiate for more compensation... $200 is not worth it, too much headache, unless you live near the airport. The GA wanted to limit my options to flights that only had the same fare class or lower which would have limited my options to only 2 flights, the 7AM flight or 9:30PM flight. I went like "mhmm, are you kidding me?" and I elected to deal with the other GA who rebooked me into Y, so I could pick whatever flight I wanted.

Bottom line, if the flight is longer than 3.5 hours and requires overnight stay, fight for $400 period. Do not be suckered into a measly $200 compensation like me. Learned my lesson the hard way. If they refuse to increase my compensation, I would stand in front of the line and board at the very last minute and get IDBed, where the compensation is two times more.

Last edited by golfingboy; May 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond (thanks to rollover miles)
Originally Posted by jzumrick
It has been policy if you are bumped from your initial destination leg of a flight you are not given a voucher. ...
In March my son and I gave up our seats at IAH on an overbooked flight to ATL. We each received $400 vouchers. We live in Houston, and the gate agent still gave us a hotel voucher because I was concerned about the otherwise long rush-hour drive back to the airport. The agent was very happy to have us as volunteers -- he said every flight out had been overbooked for days on end during spring break -- and the hotel voucher was no problem. When volunteering, I'd be sure to say a hotel voucher is important, and you just might get it even if you're in your home city.

Last edited by tortuga; May 27, 2010 at 2:02 am
Old May 27, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
personal preference

Originally Posted by N231LA
I've never not been able to get a hotel voucher when I needed one (I agree with other comments to the effect that if I'm getting bumped in my home city a hotel is a convenience, not a necessity), so I don't know what I would do if that happened.

However, I have been offered less than I wanted. These days I am happy with $400 or more, not annoyed with $300, and bummed out when only offered $200. However I would be more bummed out if they bumped someone else for $200 because I said no.

And since recently for the flights I'm on the vast majority of the time the GA gets more volunteers than he/she needs regardless of what is offered I volunteer when it's only $200. Call me cheap.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
My recent experience (14-May):

$400, one night in the Holiday Inn Suites, three meal vouchers, and re-booked in full Y (CR2) to take flight of my choice next morning. Flight was so oversold the GA processed me as soon as I went to the counter - had dinner and was in my hotel room before the plane pushed. If I had waited, I might have been able to get $600 but I was also willing to take $400 in hand and run

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.