Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:42 pm

JFK-FLL -- $1,200 to give up my seat for same fare class next morning

an hour before takeoff the mid-friday-afternoon flight was oversold by 12 people, but they ended up only needing 5 volunteers.

fifteen mintues before takeoff, they cleared the volunteers for boarding. then, literally at the moment they were scanning my boarding pass, they called again for volunteers.

gate crew was very helpful and definitely seemed to have discretion about who got on, even though there is an official list (similar to an upgrade list) that orders who should be compensated first.

funny aside: they first offered $800, and some pilots nearby were heckling (in a friendly way) the gate agent, encouraging us all to hold out for more ; )
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:46 pm

forgot to mention: offered gift cards including delta, amex, bloomingdales, macy's, amazon, etc.

does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com? no info available from american express or deltachoices.com
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer
does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com?
The Amex gift card can be used anywhere Amex is accepted.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:01 pm

thx for the clarification. the terms & conditions didn't populate on the incentives website and the agent i spoke to said maybe you couldn't use on delta.com
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:35 am

8/10/19 : $1000 for non - stop iad-hnl oversold by 3 in exchange for routing via lax and arriving approx. 6 hours later.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
8/10/19 : $1000 for non - stop iad-hnl oversold by 3 in exchange for routing via lax and arriving approx. 6 hours later.
You sure it was IAD-HNL? I don't believe Delta flies that nonstop.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You sure it was IAD-HNL? I don't believe Delta flies that nonstop.
Or wrong airline/forum.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer
forgot to mention: offered gift cards including delta, amex, bloomingdales, macy's, amazon, etc.

does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com? no info available from american express or deltachoices.com
The difference between the Amex (or Visa in some cities) and store cards is that the Amex has an expiration date (6 months), the others don't.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:54 pm

$800 YUL-LGA oversold, next flight 2 hours later
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
The difference between the Amex (or Visa in some cities) and store cards is that the Amex has an expiration date (6 months), the others don't.
However there's plenty of easy ways to cash it out. There's zero reason to pick anything else given that it's basically cash. No worries about company declaring bankruptcy and card having zero value.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:18 pm

Last Friday was a zoo due to severe thunderstorms the day before at LGA. I took home $600 to CHS, agent needed 3 volunteers and took 2 off the plane. The next flight that day they needed 5 again and only took 2. I heard 3 other gates next to me offering bumps to passengers one gate was to CLT. For the majority of bumps I take weather has a lot to do with it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However there's plenty of easy ways to cash it out. There's zero reason to pick anything else given that it's basically cash. No worries about company declaring bankruptcy and card having zero value.
What’s the easiest way to cash out the Amex & Visa?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
What’s the easiest way to cash out the Amex & Visa?
I simply dump it in to my cable, utility or cell phone account so my bills are prepaid for a few months at no fee.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I simply dump it in to my cable, utility or cell phone account so my bills are prepaid for a few months at no fee.
That's not cash. It costs me the miles/points/refund I would have received had I used my usual credit card.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by sethb
That's not cash. It costs me the miles/points/refund I would have received had I used my usual credit card.
It's the same as if you paid your bills by cash. Your usual credit card isn't cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.