FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

deltamedallionflyer Aug 9, 2019 4:42 pm

JFK-FLL -- $1,200 to give up my seat for same fare class next morning

an hour before takeoff the mid-friday-afternoon flight was oversold by 12 people, but they ended up only needing 5 volunteers.

fifteen mintues before takeoff, they cleared the volunteers for boarding. then, literally at the moment they were scanning my boarding pass, they called again for volunteers.

gate crew was very helpful and definitely seemed to have discretion about who got on, even though there is an official list (similar to an upgrade list) that orders who should be compensated first.

funny aside: they first offered $800, and some pilots nearby were heckling (in a friendly way) the gate agent, encouraging us all to hold out for more ; )

deltamedallionflyer Aug 9, 2019 4:46 pm

forgot to mention: offered gift cards including delta, amex, bloomingdales, macy's, amazon, etc.

does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com? no info available from american express or deltachoices.com

CO-PLAT Aug 9, 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer (Post 31399043)
does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com?

The Amex gift card can be used anywhere Amex is accepted.

deltamedallionflyer Aug 9, 2019 10:01 pm

thx for the clarification. the terms & conditions didn't populate on the incentives website and the agent i spoke to said maybe you couldn't use on delta.com

Wx4caster Aug 10, 2019 10:35 am

8/10/19 : $1000 for non - stop iad-hnl oversold by 3 in exchange for routing via lax and arriving approx. 6 hours later.

btonkid12345 Aug 10, 2019 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Wx4caster (Post 31401057)
8/10/19 : $1000 for non - stop iad-hnl oversold by 3 in exchange for routing via lax and arriving approx. 6 hours later.

You sure it was IAD-HNL? I don't believe Delta flies that nonstop.

bloc0102 Aug 10, 2019 11:36 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 31401147)
You sure it was IAD-HNL? I don't believe Delta flies that nonstop.

Or wrong airline/forum.

sethb Aug 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer (Post 31399043)
forgot to mention: offered gift cards including delta, amex, bloomingdales, macy's, amazon, etc.

does anyone know if the amex reward card can be used on delta.com? no info available from american express or deltachoices.com

The difference between the Amex (or Visa in some cities) and store cards is that the Amex has an expiration date (6 months), the others don't.

WScottsdaleInsider Aug 11, 2019 10:54 pm

$800 YUL-LGA oversold, next flight 2 hours later

flyerCO Aug 12, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 31405763)
The difference between the Amex (or Visa in some cities) and store cards is that the Amex has an expiration date (6 months), the others don't.

However there's plenty of easy ways to cash it out. There's zero reason to pick anything else given that it's basically cash. No worries about company declaring bankruptcy and card having zero value.

weflyhigh9 Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Last Friday was a zoo due to severe thunderstorms the day before at LGA. I took home $600 to CHS, agent needed 3 volunteers and took 2 off the plane. The next flight that day they needed 5 again and only took 2. I heard 3 other gates next to me offering bumps to passengers one gate was to CLT. For the majority of bumps I take weather has a lot to do with it.

JakeRobertson212 Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31406275)
However there's plenty of easy ways to cash it out. There's zero reason to pick anything else given that it's basically cash. No worries about company declaring bankruptcy and card having zero value.

What’s the easiest way to cash out the Amex & Visa?

sydneyracquelle Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212 (Post 31421367)
What’s the easiest way to cash out the Amex & Visa?

I simply dump it in to my cable, utility or cell phone account so my bills are prepaid for a few months at no fee.

sethb Aug 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31421422)
I simply dump it in to my cable, utility or cell phone account so my bills are prepaid for a few months at no fee.

That's not cash. It costs me the miles/points/refund I would have received had I used my usual credit card.

Howste Aug 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 31431034)
That's not cash. It costs me the miles/points/refund I would have received had I used my usual credit card.

It's the same as if you paid your bills by cash. Your usual credit card isn't cash. :confused: