Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by MCI777
My MSP=MDW flight tonight is over by 5. I did a $500 bid at check-in. Excited to see what happens.
What happened? Wonder if they would rebook on WN.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
I was #1 volunteer and everything was looking great for the bump...thennnnnnnnn…..the flight got delayed until 11pm due to late arriving crew. During that time the right amount of people caught other flights and I was no longer needed. I swear, I can't a break in regards to VDB.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
Not a chance. WN has chosen to not partner in any way with any other airline, so there's no way DL even could move his ticket to WN.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
On Sunday, SEA-BOS was oversold by 4. They started offering $400, eventually got up to $700. There was 1 no show, so they took 3 volunteers. We were re-routed SEA-ATL-BOS, getting to BOS 5 hours after the original flight, but our SEA-ATL flight got diverted to MEM due to weather. In the end, we got to BOS 8 hours after the original flight.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by scottsinct
On Sunday, SEA-BOS was oversold by 4. They started offering $400, eventually got up to $700. There was 1 no show, so they took 3 volunteers. We were re-routed SEA-ATL-BOS, getting to BOS 5 hours after the original flight, but our SEA-ATL flight got diverted to MEM due to weather. In the end, we got to BOS 8 hours after the original flight.
Nice. Too bad they couldn't route somewhere other than ATL, so far out of the way.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Got my second bump in a week, and this one worked out much better than last week's...
This Sunday, I was booked PDX-JFK-BOS (booked economy, upgraded to C+ for the long leg and F for the short leg). PDX-JFK was oversold by 2. They needed both seats, and the other volunteer was also going to BOS. We both got $500 and rerouted PDX-SEA-BOS in confirmed first class for both legs. Got to Boston 25 minutes later than the original flight. Definitely worth it!
kyushuman and LoganFlyer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Flying CHA-XXX-XXX on Sunday evening July 7th. Looks like my flight is or likely will be oversold.
Delta.com is selling one full fare Y ticket but will not sell two. Good sign! I haven't had a VDB in at least 1 year. I'm ready!

I am on the last flight of the day so a bump would mean an overnight stay. Anyone have any history on what hotel Delta typically offers in the Chattanooga area? I know the Hilton Garden Inn has a free airport shuttle but not sure if that's a consideration for Delta.

I ask because I have family about 45 minutes away so not sure if it's better to stay in hotel or head back to family and stay in the guest room. I would need the early Monday morning 6am CHA-LGA flight as I need to be in meetings at 11AM on Monday in NYC.

Any guess as to what the VDB offer would be? I Know it depends on # of seats needed, etc but I figure at least $500 for an overnight stay plus hotel and i'll ask for food vouchers as well.

Thanks for any insight flyers. Happy 4th!

~MRIDLEY2
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mridley2
Flying CHA-XXX-XXX on Sunday evening July 7th. Looks like my flight is or likely will be oversold.
Delta.com is selling one full fare Y ticket but will not sell two. Good sign! I haven't had a VDB in at least 1 year. I'm ready!

I am on the last flight of the day so a bump would mean an overnight stay. Anyone have any history on what hotel Delta typically offers in the Chattanooga area? I know the Hilton Garden Inn has a free airport shuttle but not sure if that's a consideration for Delta.

I ask because I have family about 45 minutes away so not sure if it's better to stay in hotel or head back to family and stay in the guest room. I would need the early Monday morning 6am CHA-LGA flight as I need to be in meetings at 11AM on Monday in NYC.

Any guess as to what the VDB offer would be? I Know it depends on # of seats needed, etc but I figure at least $500 for an overnight stay plus hotel and i'll ask for food vouchers as well.

~MRIDLEY2
It might be overbooked, but not oversold until everyone turns up at the gate.

If DL.com is still selling 1 full Y, between that and SDCs, they probably won't need volunteers.

If they do, look at the history of offers in this thread to witness the variability of what's on range.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It might be overbooked, but not oversold until everyone turns up at the gate.

If DL.com is still selling 1 full Y, between that and SDCs, they probably won't need volunteers.

If they do, look at the history of offers in this thread to witness the variability of what's on range.
Thx. I doubt there will be many SDC’s. All flights out of CHA on Sunday are selling at M or Y fares. Looks like heavy loads all around. CHA ATL and CHA DTW. even CHA LGA is full Y fare. That’s rare.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2

~MRIDLEY2
1. I agree SDC won't make a big dent in the bump possibility, but there are often people who miss the flight for whatever reason. In other words, I'm rooting for you, but don't get your hopes too high about being bumped.

2. IME, DL has offered as low as $400 for overnight bumps. Not enough people took them up on that, though, so they had to increase it. There's certainly no guarantee of $500 or any other specific amount, though you certainly can and should ask for what you want.

3. As for a hotel, again IME, DL will always put you in a hotel near the airport that has a shuttle or is walkable from the airport. You can ask for a specific hotel, but DL usually has their own hotels they partner with, so don't be surprised if they say no. I certainly would take the hotel they offer over traveling 45 minutes each way if you have to catch a 6 AM flight the next day.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
1. I agree SDC won't make a big dent in the bump possibility, but there are often people who miss the flight for whatever reason. In other words, I'm rooting for you, but don't get your hopes too high about being bumped.

2. IME, DL has offered as low as $400 for overnight bumps. Not enough people took them up on that, though, so they had to increase it. There's certainly no guarantee of $500 or any other specific amount, though you certainly can and should ask for what you want.

3. As for a hotel, again IME, DL will always put you in a hotel near the airport that has a shuttle or is walkable from the airport. You can ask for a specific hotel, but DL usually has their own hotels they partner with, so don't be surprised if they say no. I certainly would take the hotel they offer over traveling 45 minutes each way if you have to catch a 6 AM flight the next day.
Thanks for info. I'd be happy with $400 but of course would love more.

Agree that many people do miss flights for whatever reason. I do have my hopes a little higher than usual. Sunday is a good mix of 4th of july leisure travelers returning home and business travelers starting the week after presumably not flying the previous week due to the 4th holiday.

I think you're right about staying at hotel near airport. Much better than a 45 mins commute each way with an early next day departure. I don't have much hotel preference just comfortable and preferably a bar that's open. haha.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Starting offer $1500 ATL PBI, seen on Farcebook today.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta GM
Narrowly missed Tuesday morning. Me + companion

Booked PWM-LGA-DTW-SBN with first leg in F. Rebooked us in a cab to BOS, BOS-DTW in F, then on to SBN arriving 3 hours later than originally booked for $400 apiece. Couple of no-shows and we boarded with the GA delivering paperwork.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Red Coat from MDW called me proactively and offered me $200 on an extremely oversold MDW-MSP flight a couple weeks ago. Negotiated up to $300. Probably could have gotten a lot more if I actually stuck around but got an earlier flight to MCI through DTW. I'll take it.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:51 pm

JFK-LAS

July 27th 3pm flight from JFK-LAS was oversold by approx. five. Received $900 AMEX gift card and choice of nonstop at 8pm getting in at 11pm or 4pm through MSP getting in at 9pm. In the end, the gate agent needed three of us.
CMK10 and LoganFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.