Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Why would anyone select anything other than an AMEX gift card???
I always take the DL credit. DL credit does not expire. The Amex card does. Also, my largest expenses are usually flights, so DL credit it is.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by The Situation
I always take the DL credit. DL credit does not expire. The Amex card does. Also, my largest expenses are usually flights, so DL credit it is.
Haven't had a VDB recently, but as of last year the only one of these that you could electronically (NOT in the snail mail) was the DL credit; all of the gift cards had to be mailed to the SkyMiles address, and I live half of the year abroad, so it would just sit there for months. So, I always took the DL credit.
Are any of the gift cards electronic now?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
it’s been a few years since i’ve gotten one, but Delta ECVs used to be good for only 1 year from issue. Has this changed?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mot29

it’s been a few years since i’ve gotten one, but Delta ECVs used to be good for only 1 year from issue. Has this changed?
Yes it has. You can choose a gift card for DL or a bunch of other retailers. All of those do not have an expiration date. You can also choose an AMEX gift card, but that has a 6 month expiration date.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Yes it has. You can choose a gift card for DL or a bunch of other retailers. All of those do not have an expiration date. You can also choose an AMEX gift card, but that has a 6 month expiration date.
Makes things a lot easier. I remember the days of having to take the paper voucher to an airport.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:36 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
why couldn't they? ALL of those flights were sold out?

You could have asked them to rebook on OAL. Or increased the VDB amount and use the increase to just buy new tickets on another carrier of your choice.
I have no idea what OAL is. I highly doubt they'd buy a ticket on another carrier. They said any flight that went through SLC was sold out and I suppose there were no flights that would get me where I needed to be by the time I needed it. There were plenty of volunteers so they had no reason to bend rules for me.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I have no idea what OAL is. I highly doubt they'd buy a ticket on another carrier.
Perhaps not, but in any case that's what that meant, OAL = Other AirLine.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
I was in Rochester last week and the flight was oversold from ROC to LGA, they need two volunteers I got $1000 amex card and rebooked on American Airlines direct into ORD which was my final destination. They were happy to have a volunteer and I was happy to be the chosen one
CMK10, slug, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
1500 today for SEA-AMS, but also got op-uped at the gate. Took the cash. Grad student, so cash > D1.
jjmoore and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Can someone reply and let me know if the current situation is the same as last year-- is it still a choice of :
1) Physical gift card mailed in snail mail to your SkyMiles address and
2) E-voucher for Delta Dollars?

OR -- is it now an e-gift card for AMEX, Amazon, Target, etc?
Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Can someone reply and let me know if the current situation is the same as last year-- is it still a choice of :
1) Physical gift card mailed in snail mail to your SkyMiles address and
2) E-voucher for Delta Dollars?

OR -- is it now an e-gift card for AMEX, Amazon, Target, etc?
Thanks!
In February I got AMEX gift cards sent by snail mail.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisMoss7
It may be better than you think! You may have been booked in revenue Biz. That generates a 25% bonus which means 1,000 miles JFK - ZRH plus the 500 or more miles from the extra segment (if it was a DL coded flight to ZRH). Even if you didn't get that, you got the ZRH - JFK double miles promotion.

Were you bumped to accomodate a Biz class pasenger or was it because they oversold coach?

CM
Miles are fine but 11 hours is a lot of discomfort if you paid
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Can't you get a Delta gift card with the Amex gift card? I can always use the Amex gift card to pay my bills, or even prepay some of them.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL
Oversold by one on JFK-SFO today; noticed the standby list looked tight and proactively offered to volunteer after Twitter confirmed it was oversold. Unfortunately, no alternate D1/first routings with space, so didn’t take it. The one volunteer ended up with a $600 gift card I believe.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My MSP=MDW flight tonight is over by 5. I did a $500 bid at check-in. Excited to see what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.