Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
My family of 4 was offered $1000 US per person Delta voucher to give up our seat from YYJ to Seattle. 1 hour flight! Unfortunately, I did not take it, as we would have to wait in YYJ for 8 hours until next flight and we already there at 4AM and we had to find another connection from SEA to BOS. One thing, I noticed is that the gate agent has no clue about the next flight. I told her next flight and she was kinda clueless. I think you have to come prepared to tell them what you want if you are going to take the compensation and get bumped to next flight.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
My family of 4 was offered $1000 US per person Delta voucher to give up our seat from YYJ to Seattle. 1 hour flight! Unfortunately, I did not take it, as we would have to wait in YYJ for 8 hours until next flight and we already there at 4AM and we had to find another connection from SEA to BOS. One thing, I noticed is that the gate agent has no clue about the next flight. I told her next flight and she was kinda clueless. I think you have to come prepared to tell them what you want if you are going to take the compensation and get bumped to next flight.
Sounds like the GA was pretty clueless..... OAL is another option out of Victoria.... YYJ-SFO-BOS is always an option on UA, and there are Air Canada options too via PDX and SEA I believe... though seats were pretty sparse all day out of the west coast.... and re-accommodating 4 people is far more difficult on a Sunday evening than 1 person. Too bad it didn't work out. Did others volunteer, or did they have to IDB?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Sounds like the GA was pretty clueless..... OAL is another option out of Victoria.... YYJ-SFO-BOS is always an option on UA, and there are Air Canada options too via PDX and SEA I believe... though seats were pretty sparse all day out of the west coast.... and re-accommodating 4 people is far more difficult on a Sunday evening than 1 person. Too bad it didn't work out. Did others volunteer, or did they have to IDB?
Hmm, didn't know Delta could rebook on another airline. I thought about Westjet to Calgary then to Boston also. The GA was pretty clueless which didn't perk my interest more in accepting offer. If she came back with ideas, I would have budged more. Didn't have confidence in her. She was definitely more interested in finding volunteers first. She offered "compensation" first then second announcement went to $1000 and she had to announce it twice. Both times, not telling travelers when next flight will be.

After reading some previous posts, I guess I could have asked for nearby hotel or cab ride to entice the offer. Still kicking myself for not taking it but 8 hours in airport with kids would have been miserable for all of us. If they let me do in Seattle, I would have taken it. That Delta club was nice!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Hmm, didn't know Delta could rebook on another airline. I thought about Westjet to Calgary then to Boston also. The GA was pretty clueless which didn't perk my interest more in accepting offer. If she came back with ideas, I would have budged more. Didn't have confidence in her. She was definitely more interested in finding volunteers first. She offered "compensation" first then second announcement went to $1000 and she had to announce it twice. Both times, not telling travelers when next flight will be.

After reading some previous posts, I guess I could have asked for nearby hotel or cab ride to entice the offer. Still kicking myself for not taking it but 8 hours in airport with kids would have been miserable for all of us. If they let me do in Seattle, I would have taken it. That Delta club was nice!
Most likely the GA at YYJ are contracted staff so they are clueless about rebooking possibilities on DL or WS as they are JV partners. They only know one play and that is to up the offer to avoid IDB.
At outstation with contracted GA: my game plan is to get on the phone to DL (DM line) with the contracted GA.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Another option is to call the DM line after accepting the VDB (obviously knowing that there are options on other airlines), and then have the pros work it out.... I have done this before with UA, and actually managed to stay on UA metal after working with a couple hopeless agents in an undisclosed small airport in California.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
Most likely the GA at YYJ are contracted staff so they are clueless about rebooking possibilities on DL or WS as they are JV partners. They only know one play and that is to up the offer to avoid IDB.
At outstation with contracted GA: my game plan is to get on the phone to DL (DM line) with the contracted GA.
Have you had the DM line completely handle the rebooking on a VDB before?

I've never tried but thought the airport was the one that could put in anything complex or in premium classes to seal the VDB deal; didn't think the phone agents could approve or override anything like that...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Have you had the DM line completely handle the rebooking on a VDB before?

I've never tried but thought the airport was the one that could put in anything complex or in premium classes to seal the VDB deal; didn't think the phone agents could approve or override anything like that...
Like I stated before:
I talk to the DM line with the GA, all 3 of us.
I propose the re-route the DM agent will do the booking. Then the DM CSR gives the contracted GA instructions to issue new BP along with VDB vouchers.

The DM can only do so much at their end as the flight is in airport control and I have checked in.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:59 pm

Noob q. What is DM?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by newtothis1
Noob q. What is DM?
Diamond Medallion
PM= Platinum Medallion
GM= Gold Medallion
FO= Silver Medallion
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
JFK-PRG. Offer started at $800; they ended up needing 4 volunteers and going up to $1500 for the same flight 24 hours later. One thing different this time: if I want a DL gift card, they'll mail it to me. In the past, it's always come by e-mail. Has anyone else seen this? I much prefer the e-mail option.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
JFK-PRG. Offer started at $800; they ended up needing 4 volunteers and going up to $1500 for the same flight 24 hours later. One thing different this time: if I want a DL gift card, they'll mail it to me. In the past, it's always come by e-mail. Has anyone else seen this? I much prefer the e-mail option.
Was an American Express gift card an option? I'm seeing far fewer oversold situations this year.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Amex is still an option. Here's the full list:

jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Amex is still an option. Here's the full list:

Take the AMEX and cash them out.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Looks like Delta is significantly reducing the number of oversales. The new DOT report came out with data for Q2:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...-2018-atcr.pdf

The VDB rate dropped by roughly half compared to last year-- 0.05% of passengers VDB'd this year compared to 0.11% last year (mainline only). Bummer!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by amejr999
Looks like Delta is significantly reducing the number of oversales. The new DOT report came out with data for Q2:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...-2018-atcr.pdf

The VDB rate dropped by roughly half compared to last year-- 0.05% of passengers VDB'd this year compared to 0.11% last year (mainline only). Bummer!
I definitely believe this. I had four successful VDB's in the first half of 2017 and nothing since. Four near-misses (gate agent asked for volunteers but didn't end up needing any) so far this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.