Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:23 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Sweet! Congrats! Now where are the posters above who called me out for saying the GA in ATL was cheap for offering $300 for a 3 hour delay, or $100 per hour...this customer received $750 an hour!
Nobody was confused about the fact that sometimes people get more.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is a free market, supply vs demand. There is no fix $/hr algorithm. Just offer enough within one's authority to get the flight out of without doing any IDB.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by outoftown
I think I have all of you beat. I received a $600 voucher for taking an earlier flight. I knew my RDU-ATL flight was oversold, was the first and only person there to talk to GA 1 hour prior. She put me as #1 on the volunteer list but then offered the RDU-ATL flight currently boarding at the next gate. I asked if there would be compensation for taking it and she said no, so I said I would just hang out and take the bump. She then offered me the voucher to get on the earlier flight, so I did. My third $600 voucher this year and first ever for taking an earlier flight.

-outoftown
Maybe. I only got $500, but the earlier flight was a nonstop rather than a connection to a redeye, on a mileage run, and I got ORC.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fti
How new is the rule of not offering bumps until after the door closes? I was offered a bump last November before boarding even started. In fact I was first in line at the gate agent desk when they opened about 1 hour before departure. I was offered the bump well before boarding started - actually just after they opened.
That was under the new rule. When did they process the compensation? Was a redcoat involved?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by sethb
That was under the new rule. When did they process the compensation? Was a redcoat involved?
Compensation was processed when they told me they needed me - at least 1 hour before flight departure and well before boarding started. No red coat was involved, just one of the two gate agents.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by blitzcon
It helps to ask nicely!

I was flying MSN-ATL-LAS on a Tuesday. An earlier MSN-DTW flight was delayed, pushing MSN-ATL over by at least 2, and I was offered to bid at check-in. A very helpful check-in agent was already updating my itinerary as I was checking a bag. She offered me MSN-MSP-LAS in confirmed first class, getting in earlier! I said that sounds great but is there any chance my bid would still apply? She said no but I still got a $200 voucher as a courtesy. I said wow and thanked her!

When my flights posted, I got full F credit (double MQM).
That was back in December but I did get the $200 voucher in hand before either my old or new flight had started boarding.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I'm not sure if I am correct, but it looks like perhaps DL 132 had a swap from the A350 to a 777 out of DTW this evening. I'm on that route in P.E. in less than two weeks, and wondering what the procedure is in that case? The 777 has 5 more J seats, and actually has fewer C+ seats than the 350 has P.E. (and of course C+ is a downgrade). Swap to an A333 would likewise mean mostly downgrades I assume.
Would DL op-up as many as possible, and do so based on fare class priority, and then downgrade everyone else? What are the compensation options if one ends up in C+ (or worse)? I am going out of my way (could have booked MSP-AMS nonstop) to fly the A350 and check out P.E. I also have an onward connection so I'd have some challenges but could perhaps take a different flight with OpUp inventory if that is an allowed option?
Most likely everything goes smoothly, but knowledge ahead of time could help in a swap. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
Compensation was processed when they told me they needed me - at least 1 hour before flight departure and well before boarding started. No red coat was involved, just one of the two gate agents.
I guess I was wrong about the redcoat being required, then. Maybe some GAs know how to process early. (The one time I got compensation early, the GA called a redcoat to do it; another time, I lost out because the GA couldn't issue compensation early. The offer was $1,000 plus a connection leaving before my flight was scheduled to. When the GA couldn't do the compensation, we waited; the flight was delayed, and they rebooked people who were going to miss their connections, so no volunteers were needed.)
Old May 10, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The last time I was VDB’d on a badly overbooked flight due to equipment downgrade from 767 to 757 and went from a connecting flight to a non-stop, the GA stated that I wouldn’t get any voucher because “DL is doing me a favor and I will be getting to my destination 2 hours earlier by going from a connecting flight to a non-stop.” (It really wasn’t a favor as I still had to wait for someone else who was actually on my original second flight and my bags went on my original flight)
"Thanks; in that case, I might as well stay on the original flight."
Old May 18, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I flew DL 164, MSP-AMS, May 17. This is at 10:06 pm, last AMS flight from central and eastern time zones and I doubt there is anything later from the west coast.
DL was looking for 2 or 3 volunteers and got them for $500 each. I was really surprised. It meant flying the next day. The offer included a hotel and meals “if MSP is not your home.” Maybe “midwestern nice” folks wanting to help out.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mot29
I flew DL 164, MSP-AMS, May 17. This is at 10:06 pm, last AMS flight from central and eastern time zones and I doubt there is anything later from the west coast.
DL was looking for 2 or 3 volunteers and got them for $500 each. I was really surprised. It meant flying the next day. The offer included a hotel and meals “if MSP is not your home.” Maybe “midwestern nice” folks wanting to help out.
Some people don't know how good of a deal can be had for a VDB on an int'l flight. Then there are others that feel $500 is a good deal given the situation. One or the other is what happened here. I now I would have passed on that deal for certain.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Some people don't know how good of a deal can be had for a VDB on an int'l flight. Then there are others that feel $500 is a good deal given the situation. One or the other is what happened here. I now I would have passed on that deal for certain.
If I wasn't flying in J, I would have taken the offer with the stipulation that they upgrade me to J and on the new ticket to move me in a fare bucket that would allow me to take advantage of mileage bonus.
jjmoore likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Sunday Night MCI-MSP oversold by 3 people, $500 gift card and flight out next day. Got my flight refunded and jumped on a southwest flight and got home same time.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
On Monday, I was scheduled to fly PSC-MSP-EWR (paid economy, free upgraded to F on the first leg and C+ on the second leg).
PSC-MSP was oversold by 1.
Took the $500 gift card, $30 in meal vouchers, and was routed PSC-SLC-LAX-JFK (F on the first leg, C+ on the second leg, and confirmed Delta One from LAX-JFK)
CMK10, jjmoore, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Midweek SLC-FCA oversold by 2. GA was offering $800 when we boarded (which was toward the end of the process). No takers, GA came onboard and repeated announcement. We were holding out for at least the $1300 IDB level since everyone was already seated and no one seemed interested. In the end it sounded like she took a family of 4 off (I think paying all 4 $800) and provided a hotel. Sort of regretted not mentioning our price point, since we would've done it for less than $1600 each. (I was also somewhat influenced by the $6k that two of my family members each got on UA earlier this year for ORD-CUN.)
Millertime likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.