Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
LGA-DFW (E-175) was oversold by four on Friday night. Because of the bad storm front passing through Texas and most of the Ohio Valley, our flight plan had us going west towards Chicago, then looping over Wichita and Oklahoma City before coming back towards DFW. The offer was $800 plus a hotel and rebooking the next day. I was doing a mileage and mattress run and my upgrade had cleared, so I wasn't all in on taking a bump. The best offer they gave me at the gate was $800 and a taxi voucher home, plus trip in vain refund. I didn't bite and told them to find me onboard if they needed me, I guess they re-did the numbers a bit as they ended up allowing 14 standbys on the flight and not taking any VBDs.
They didn't offer, or you didn't request, ORC?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:08 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Generally you don't get ORC if you take a refund.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pvn
Generally you don't get ORC if you take a refund.
Generally you don't. You certainly don't automatically. But it's amazing what you can get if you ask politely under the right circumstances. (I've had a RUC returned to me, after I flew in F. That's not supposed to be possible.)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
3/24 DL2262 LAX-JFK

7 Volounteers were searched at the gate. $500.- .
The gate agent was quite lazy and only offered the connection LAX-SLC-JFK (redeye)... I would have taken the offer, if he would had rebooked me LAX-SFO-JFK (2 seats available) but he did not want and I did not wanted to fly for $500 in F-cl recliners with no lounge access in SLC... BTW it was a good choice to stay in DL One on DL2262 as the crew and food was amazing!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
3/24 DL2262 LAX-JFK

7 Volounteers were searched at the gate. $500.- .
The gate agent was quite lazy and only offered the connection LAX-SLC-JFK (redeye)... I would have taken the offer, if he would had rebooked me LAX-SFO-JFK (2 seats available) but he did not want and I did not wanted to fly for $500 in F-cl recliners with no lounge access in SLC... BTW it was a good choice to stay in DL One on DL2262 as the crew and food was amazing!
How long before the flight they offered/the flight you wanted? You can let them rebook you the way they want, then have another agent (I use the Sky Club, but the rebooking desk works too) rebook you on the flights you want. (But I take it they didn't need the D1 seat, just 7 volunteers. Still surprising they got that many that cheap.)

BUT: You say there were 2 seats available. Were they actually available, or just for sale? The new policy is apparently that they won't rebook VDB pax into salable seats on an overbooked flight.
Air Rarotonga likes this.

Last edited by sethb; Apr 15, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: add info
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by sethb
How long before the flight they offered/the flight you wanted? You can let them rebook you the way they want, then have another agent (I use the Sky Club, but the rebooking desk works too) rebook you on the flights you want. (But I take it they didn't need the D1 seat, just 7 volunteers. Still surprising they got that many that cheap.)

BUT: You say there were 2 seats available. Were they actually available, or just for sale? The new policy is apparently that they won't rebook VDB pax into salable seats on an overbooked flight.
I guess that economy was overbooked... But I had the time and the VDB compensation would have been 1/3 of my ticket price, so I thought, let's try it!

I approached the gate T-60min as I already confirmed my willigness to VDB during online check-in... The (same) check-in agent told me then "no this flight is not overbooked"... Before the start of bording then the announcement from the same guy, that 7 VDB's were searched... Of course he could not remember our encounter an hour ago...

Can't say if the SFO-JFK flight was also overbooked... But my original RDB "Z" was still bookable as well of "F" from LAX to SFO... But I did not really care about the lazyness (and stupidness) of this agent, at the end it's his problem to solve this overbooking problem...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I didn't know this thread existed.

I got 800 delta dollars recently for skipping my flight, put onto a direct flight in 1st and got the double MQM. I originally paid 489 for the flight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I didn't know this thread existed.

I got 800 delta dollars recently for skipping my flight, put onto a direct flight in 1st and got the double MQM. I originally paid 489 for the flight.

What flights were you on?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jay00848
What flights were you on?
I was on a SDQ > ATL > JFK was asked to volunteer. They gave me 800 and was put onto the direct SDQ > JFK flight into first from the back.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I was on a SDQ > ATL > JFK was asked to volunteer. They gave me 800 and was put onto the direct SDQ > JFK flight into first from the back.
The last time I was VDB’d on a badly overbooked flight due to equipment downgrade from 767 to 757 and went from a connecting flight to a non-stop, the GA stated that I wouldn’t get any voucher because “DL is doing me a favor and I will be getting to my destination 2 hours earlier by going from a connecting flight to a non-stop.” (It really wasn’t a favor as I still had to wait for someone else who was actually on my original second flight and my bags went on my original flight) I decided that I would take there offer and fight it later as I needed to hurry to my new flight. My first call to DL goes nowhere and the agent accuses me of lying saying I was always booked on the non-stop. I quickly HUCA and speak to a lovely lady who told me she was sorry for my experience and was able to get me a $500 voucher and as an added bonus gave me a $100 Delta E-Gift Card for the other two bad agents I dealt with in this situation saying that if you VDB for any overbooked flight, you should always get some type of compensation for it.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:45 pm

I had volunteered at check-in and requested 200 dollars and at the gate, they asked for volunteers and offered 800 i snagged it faster than they could say delta.

I also got to NY at 9PM was scheduled to arrive on original booking through ATL at 1 am.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

The last time I was VDB’d on a badly overbooked flight due to equipment downgrade from 767 to 757 and went from a connecting flight to a non-stop, the GA stated that I wouldn’t get any voucher because “DL is doing me a favor and I will be getting to my destination 2 hours earlier by going from a connecting flight to a non-stop.” (It really wasn’t a favor as I still had to wait for someone else who was actually on my original second flight and my bags went on my original flight) I decided that I would take there offer and fight it later as I needed to hurry to my new flight. My first call to DL goes nowhere and the agent accuses me of lying saying I was always booked on the non-stop. I quickly HUCA and speak to a lovely lady who told me she was sorry for my experience and was able to get me a $500 voucher and as an added bonus gave me a $100 Delta E-Gift Card for the other two bad agents I dealt with in this situation saying that if you VDB for any overbooked flight, you should always get some type of compensation for it.
UA tried to pull that stunt on me several years ago in a VDB situation where I would arrive at my destination earlier. I politely told them I didn't want to give up my seat for no compensation and walked away, which was promptly followed by them calling me back up and offering the voucher. Never agree to anything if you are not satisfied with the outcome. They cannot remove you against your will from your booked itinerary. If the airline's agents do this, it should be reported in to the airline, and you should be compensated what the other volunteers received at the very least.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jjmoore
UA tried to pull that stunt on me several years ago in a VDB situation where I would arrive at my destination earlier. I politely told them I didn't want to give up my seat for no compensation and walked away, which was promptly followed by them calling me back up and offering the voucher. Never agree to anything if you are not satisfied with the outcome. They cannot remove you against your will from your booked itinerary. If the airline's agents do this, it should be reported in to the airline, and you should be compensated what the other volunteers received at the very least.
I knew that DL would eventually give me some sort of voucher for VDB and didn't really want to take the original flight anymore as it wasn't on a 767 and both flights were now on a 757 and I was reseated in a middle Y- seat after the downgrade and ended up getting a C+ aisle on the new flight. Our flight needed more than 30 volunteers and was an HNL flight so not many wanted to volunteer so DL should have been begging me with compensation to get off. I actually sent a tweet to DL and they told me that I would receive a voucher upon arrival into OGG from the GA for VDB but there was NO DL GA in sight when I got off the plane in OGG and even waited until everyone got off to see if anyone showed up but no one showed up. (flight wasn't leaving OGG until 8pm) and the ticket counter was closed. I ended up calling DL and after one HUCA got one of the best DL agents I have spoken too and she took care of me and was very apologetic for my experience and said the LAX GA and Red Coat (who was at the gate) were wrong for not giving me a voucher. I even asked the GA boarding the OGG flight before leaving LAX and she just told me to call DL as there was nothing she could do at the time.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I knew that DL would eventually give me some sort of voucher for VDB and didn't really want to take the original flight anymore as it wasn't on a 767 and both flights were now on a 757 and I was reseated in a middle Y- seat after the downgrade and ended up getting a C+ aisle on the new flight. Our flight needed more than 30 volunteers and was an HNL flight so not many wanted to volunteer so DL should have been begging me with compensation to get off. I actually sent a tweet to DL and they told me that I would receive a voucher upon arrival into OGG from the GA for VDB but there was NO DL GA in sight when I got off the plane in OGG and even waited until everyone got off to see if anyone showed up but no one showed up. (flight wasn't leaving OGG until 8pm) and the ticket counter was closed. I ended up calling DL and after one HUCA got one of the best DL agents I have spoken too and she took care of me and was very apologetic for my experience and said the LAX GA and Red Coat (who was at the gate) were wrong for not giving me a voucher. I even asked the GA boarding the OGG flight before leaving LAX and she just told me to call DL as there was nothing she could do at the time.
Thanks for the detailed description of what happened. I'm glad that DL made this right by you.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I actually sent a tweet to DL and they told me that I would receive a voucher upon arrival into OGG from the GA for VDB but there was NO DL GA in sight when I got off the plane in OGG and even waited until everyone got off to see if anyone showed up but no one showed up. (flight wasn't leaving OGG until 8pm) and the ticket counter was closed. I ended up calling DL and after one HUCA got one of the best DL agents I have spoken too and she took care of me and was very apologetic for my experience and said the LAX GA and Red Coat (who was at the gate) were wrong for not giving me a voucher. I even asked the GA boarding the OGG flight before leaving LAX and she just told me to call DL as there was nothing she could do at the time.
Widgets has posted previously that sometimes things like IRROPs hotel vouchers etc. that are added to your record can be retrieved just by scanning your BP/Medallion card/etc. at a "Need Help?" kiosk. Dunno if that would have worked here, but seems worth mentioning again as a general note.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.