Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 20, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html


My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 18, 8:04 pm
  #1546  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Posts: 11,777
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post
Might be able to get VDB and re-booked in D1 on the n/s SFO-BOS flights. I'd see if that's an option so you can keep D1. I'm sure all SFO-JFK and JFK-anywhere flights are overbooked because of the storm.
You definitely want the SFO-BOS nonstop if at all possible, rather than risk getting stuck at JFK due to cancellations. (Unless you're willing to take Amtrak if that happens.)

There is a good chance they can only protect you maybe two days later, but as a DM if you're willing to wait at the airport (and especially if you're willing to downgrade) you can very likely get on an earlier flight. You should take that into consideration when deciding how much to accept.

Note that it's Delta's policy that everybody gets the highest amount, so if you accept $800 but they have to go to $1200 to get enough volunteers, you get the $1200. (I believe that policy actually saves them money, in addition to goodwill.)
sethb is offline  
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:59 am
  #1547  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 185
1) Will Delta allow you to volunteer if you have downline segment on another partner airline such as Westjet? I am flying ATL-YYZ-YHZ next week (YYZ -YHZ is DL7060 operated by Westjet) and ATL-YYZ has been frequently offering VBC's lately. Would they see the WS (DL codeshare flight number) and decline?
2) If your downline connection was long enough that the next flight they protect you on, you would still connect to your original final segment, would they offer you the deal? In my experience, I doubt that the agent has time to inspect your PNR with that much detail to even know that until after the plane is gone...
sfgiants13 likes this.
Utskicat is offline  
Old Jan 7, 18, 8:38 am
  #1548  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by Utskicat View Post
1) Will Delta allow you to volunteer if you have downline segment on another partner airline such as Westjet? I am flying ATL-YYZ-YHZ next week (YYZ -YHZ is DL7060 operated by Westjet) and ATL-YYZ has been frequently offering VBC's lately. Would they see the WS (DL codeshare flight number) and decline?
2) If your downline connection was long enough that the next flight they protect you on, you would still connect to your original final segment, would they offer you the deal? In my experience, I doubt that the agent has time to inspect your PNR with that much detail to even know that until after the plane is gone...
Cannot answer #1 but the answer to #2 is yes, as it happened to me last year. I still got the full voucher offer and ended up connecting to my original flight in ATL as I had something like a 3 hour layover. The new flight brought my connecting time down to like 32 mins (below MCT) but the GA made it work. Oh, and he knew from the start that I wanted to make my original flight, that’s why I ended up being the only volunteer since it wouldn’t involve some complicated reroute
jk88usa is offline  
Old Jan 9, 18, 1:07 pm
  #1549  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
They didn't offer a connection or you didn't want one?



One airport (LGA?) told me they only offer AmEx (or other) gift cards at hubs, but ATL only offered vouchers a few weeks ago. Maybe it is per GA, whether the individual has been trained.
Starting this Thursday, Jan 11th...it's a choice of gift cards only for VDB's. All domestic stations will be offering the cards only instead of TCVs.
There are different cards for those of you with a US address and those of you with a foreign address. There are supposed to be informational flyers at the gate for both types.
OHDL1 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:56 pm
  #1550  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 3,059
That is excellent news. Thanks for sharing!
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:10 pm
  #1551  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PIT, BWI, or IPT
Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
Starting this Thursday, Jan 11th...it's a choice of gift cards only for VDB's. All domestic stations will be offering the cards only instead of TCVs.
There are different cards for those of you with a US address and those of you with a foreign address. There are supposed to be informational flyers at the gate for both types.
Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??
pgh234 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:17 pm
  #1552  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,490
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??
If it's like the VDB I had in MSP a while back, in addition to a variety of retail options, you also have a choice of Delta gift cards, and generic AMEX although I think those had an expiration date or some other catch to them.
Zorak is online now  
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:24 pm
  #1553  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 3,059
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
If it's like the VDB I had in MSP a while back, in addition to a variety of retail options, you also have a choice of Delta gift cards, and generic AMEX although I think those had an expiration date or some other catch to them.
Correct. You can get a DL gift card with no expiration date or an Amex gift card with an expiration date of 6 months after you order the card.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:45 pm
  #1554  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Posts: 11,777
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??
I've seen different sets of options, but there's always one generic credit card type (I've seen VISA and Amex). Those have expiration dates, the store cards (the list of which varies) do not.
sethb is offline  
Old Jan 9, 18, 11:51 pm
  #1555  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: Delta DM/MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
If it's like the VDB I had in MSP a while back, in addition to a variety of retail options, you also have a choice of Delta gift cards, and generic AMEX although I think those had an expiration date or some other catch to them.
When I got the card offers, the choices included American Express and Delta. You can always take the Amex and use it to buy Delta Gift cards. Or you can use the Amex to pay some of your bills.
spamkiller is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:00 am
  #1556  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PIT, BWI, or IPT
Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Posts: 947
I can't think of any bills that take AmEx. Overall, it seems like a much more complicated way to buy DL tickets. ECV's we're so easy to use. Isn't this worse for DL too? I imagine there will be less people that "forget" to use gift cards before expiration before they "forget" to use ECV's?
pgh234 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 6:15 am
  #1557  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,569
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
I can't think of any bills that take AmEx. Overall, it seems like a much more complicated way to buy DL tickets. ECV's we're so easy to use. Isn't this worse for DL too? I imagine there will be less people that "forget" to use gift cards before expiration before they "forget" to use ECV's?
Gift cards are SO MUCH better than vouchers. By a long shot.

More complicated? Lol its so hard for you to use/select a delts gift card without expiration instead of a voucher that expires in a year?

DL is implementing it because customer satisfaction scores are much higher this way. They are literally giving you cash, which you can waste on DL tickets or spend elsewhere. Do you never shop at Target etc?

Finally, as flyerco previously suggested, you can get a square account and dump uour amex gift card balance directly into your checking. Not complicated.

Please stop complaining about a real enhancement because you have to use a different form of payment for your ticket now. Seriously.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:03 am
  #1558  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PIT, BWI, or IPT
Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Gift cards are SO MUCH better than vouchers. By a long shot.

More complicated? Lol its so hard for you to use/select a delts gift card without expiration instead of a voucher that expires in a year?

DL is implementing it because customer satisfaction scores are much higher this way. They are literally giving you cash, which you can waste on DL tickets or spend elsewhere. Do you never shop at Target etc?

Finally, as flyerco previously suggested, you can get a square account and dump uour amex gift card balance directly into your checking. Not complicated.

Please stop complaining about a real enhancement because you have to use a different form of payment for your ticket now. Seriously.
​​​​​​1) You can lose gift cards. I have never lost an lost an ECV. They are always there waiting for me.

2) I can't think of any chain that I spend even $400 per year in (I prefer experiences over owning more crap)

3) I could get a square account and dump the money in my checking. That adds an additional step, process, and cost that I did not have to deal with on ECVs.

I am sorry that you do not allow me complain a little about a change that I do not really like. I do hope that ECV's can remain as an option.
pgh234 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:30 am
  #1559  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 3,059
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
​​​​​​1) You can lose gift cards. I have never lost an lost an ECV. They are always there waiting for me.

2) I can't think of any chain that I spend even $400 per year in (I prefer experiences over owning more crap)

3) I could get a square account and dump the money in my checking. That adds an additional step, process, and cost that I did not have to deal with on ECVs.

I am sorry that you do not allow me complain a little about a change that I do not really like. I do hope that ECV's can remain as an option.
In that case, select the DL gift card. It's not a physical card; it comes by e-mail and all transactions with it are fully electronic. And unlike ECVs, DL gift cards have no expiration date.
pgh234, seowitz and hi55us like this.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:36 am
  #1560  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: BOI
Programs: DL - DM
Posts: 169
Another benefit of a Delta gift card, compared to an ECV, is that it's probably transferable, so I could use it to book travel for others without having to be in the same reservation. However, I wonder if this change will lead to lower overall VDB compensation. I expect the once-a-year traveler might be more willing to jump at a VDB opportunity if they're getting a gift card, which is basically cash, rather than an ECV that they may or may not be able to use.
pgh234 likes this.
Ordhater is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: