Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by blitzcon
It helps to ask nicely!

I was flying MSN-ATL-LAS on a Tuesday. An earlier MSN-DTW flight was delayed, pushing MSN-ATL over by at least 2, and I was offered to bid at check-in. A very helpful check-in agent was already updating my itinerary as I was checking a bag. She offered me MSN-MSP-LAS in confirmed first class, getting in earlier! I said that sounds great but is there any chance my bid would still apply? She said no but I still got a $200 voucher as a courtesy. I said wow and thanked her!

When my flights posted, I got full F credit (double MQM).
I'd have asked for ORC, but in this case not bothered (in case they noticed and took away the double MQMs).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jjmoore
They did not have to give you the $200 voucher for an itinerary that got you in early... in fact, I don't believe they are REQUIRED to give you one if you get in up to 2 hours later, but they always do have the courtesy to pay for inconvenience, as it is rare I ever hear of someone willing to give up a seat to arrive somewhat later for no comp. Your situation sounds like a winner to me. $200 + F seats + F credit for your qualifying miles + arrive earlier.... that would be a yes any day for me.
True, they don't have to pay; but it would count as IDB rather than VDB, and that's worth a lot more than $200 to Delta.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sethb
True, they don't have to pay; but it would count as IDB rather than VDB, and that's worth a lot more than $200 to Delta.
Absolutely agreed. I have seen UA be stingy before and try to wiggle out of giving comps to volunteers that would get in around the same time by taking different routing. They tried that with me once a while back, and when I told them that I'm not interested, they quickly reversed and gave me the latest offered compensation. From what I can tell, DL does not jerk people around like this... and in my VDB experience with DL where I got back an hour earlier than originally scheduled, they comped my Mrs and myself very nicely.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Data point: Last night on JFK-MSP they were offering $1000 Delta Dollars (plus I assume overnight in hotel) to fly on the 7AM departure today. Couldn't do it, needed to be in MSP. But she got at least 4 people that I saw, many processed before boarding, so they must have been seriously over.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
It seems Delta has removed the ability to repeat check-in on delta.com after "checking in" automatically-ish with the APP. I only get the option to add bags or print boarding pass.

In the past, If my flight was at or near oversold I would regularly repeat check-in on the site and often would receive the volunteer offer bid screen. This allowed me to be at the front of the list and not have to rush so much getting to the gate agent.

oh well today's flight.... looks oversold perhaps. delta is no longer selling my flight but is selling other flights on this route for full J or full Y fare.

Usually delta gives me a terrific Christmas gift of a VDB on 12/21 12/22. I am 4 for 5 the last 5 years. Come on delta I was a good boy this year.
hi55us likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You can do the full check in on the DL website after being checked in by the app, but not from the front page of the website any more. You have drill in to the itinerary details and check in from there instead. (At least that worked for me a week ago.)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't found that bidding at checkin gets me to the front of the list; I've done that and still been told on arrival at the gate that they have enough volunteers. (Sometimes they end up calling me anyway.)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
I haven't found that bidding at checkin gets me to the front of the list; I've done that and still been told on arrival at the gate that they have enough volunteers. (Sometimes they end up calling me anyway.)
Overbooking is highly dynamic. I have seen and taken offers at checkin and when I get to the gate they are no longer oversold and are clearing true standbys. Some GA do not go by the electronic list but most do, either by order of entry or lowest bid. If I want a VDB, I always try to get to the gate before the GA even if I placed a bid at check-in. While this year has been the best for VDB for me, I still don't get it more often than I do when there is a potential oversold situation.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by mridley2
It seems Delta has removed the ability to repeat check-in on delta.com after "checking in" automatically-ish with the APP. I only get the option to add bags or print boarding pass.

In the past, If my flight was at or near oversold I would regularly repeat check-in on the site and often would receive the volunteer offer bid screen. This allowed me to be at the front of the list and not have to rush so much getting to the gate agent.

oh well today's flight.... looks oversold perhaps. delta is no longer selling my flight but is selling other flights on this route for full J or full Y fare.

Usually delta gives me a terrific Christmas gift of a VDB on 12/21 12/22. I am 4 for 5 the last 5 years. Come on delta I was a good boy this year.
I'm not sure if you're correct about this unless something just change this week. I was able to do it on Sunday.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paplover
Overbooking is highly dynamic. I have seen and taken offers at checkin and when I get to the gate they are no longer oversold and are clearing true standbys.
I know it's dynamic. They've gone from overbooked (at check-in) to not needing me (upon arrival at the gate) to needing me (a few minutes later).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Flying SFO-JFK-BOS tomorrow in D1. Both flights are overbooked, but it seems like the online system is only letting me put in a bid of 800 max. Has anybody been able to enter a higher bid?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:22 am

Max is usally at 800 during check in, however due to weather at jfk pretty sure they will be offering more.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Max bid is $800, but when you talk to the gate agent (and find out when you'd be rebooked for) you don't have to accept it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kxc262
Flying SFO-JFK-BOS tomorrow in D1. Both flights are overbooked, but it seems like the online system is only letting me put in a bid of 800 max. Has anybody been able to enter a higher bid?
Might be able to get VDB and re-booked in D1 on the n/s SFO-BOS flights. I'd see if that's an option so you can keep D1. I'm sure all SFO-JFK and JFK-anywhere flights are overbooked because of the storm.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Might be able to get VDB and re-booked in D1 on the n/s SFO-BOS flights. I'd see if that's an option so you can keep D1. I'm sure all SFO-JFK and JFK-anywhere flights are overbooked because of the storm.
Flights to/from anywhere in this region will be tough... likely 2 day waits for confirmed seats for anyone willing to VDB. If flights are overbooked, there will be some hefty vouchers issued. I wouldn't settle for $800 unless I could arrive same day. Otherwise decline.

BOS/BDL/PVD/JFK/LGA/EWR/HPN/PWM/MHT ... will likely be very difficult to find protection to or from these places.

To add... many times in these instances, VDBs are tough to come by because there will be quite a few no-shows (as I mentioned in the UA VDB thread)... those that don't show up because of trip-in-vain who have not cancelled prior to departure, as well as those who simply forego the reservation to drive to a destination. Because of this, I have seen flights oversold by 10-20 leave the gate with standbys taken.

With this being said, don't be afraid to VDB under the premise that you won't have a confirmed seat for a long time... many flights do end up taking standbys. If you have status, you can get on that standby list and likely pick up a flight considerably earlier....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.