Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thats a bunch of agent BS. In fact all of my bumps in last year and half have been cards, except for one, guess where? MSP and that was last month! I love the cards. I select the AMEX and simply cash them out straight into my bank account.
How do you do that?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dberke
On Sunday LAX-SEA was overbooked by 7, so I took $700 to fly the next morning. The agent told me I'd be receiving an email where I could select which gift card I wanted, but I have not seen the email yet (yes, I've checked my spam folder).

To make things more interesting, I noticed a Delta eCredit in my wallet on the website with the same date and amount, but it is listed as "CLOSED". Maybe this indicates that it's been "forwarded" to the gift card issuer?

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get this email? Last year when I took a VDB, they issued a printed voucher at the gate, so this gift card thing is all new to me.

Thanks,
DB
When I've gotten a card, they asked my email address and made sure I had the email before I left the gate.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

1.5-3.0% fee depending if you swipe or key in card. (They send the reader for free)

Day after transaction, money posts
https://squareup.com/i/ABLANERGMA
When your friend activates a Square account through your link, they can process up to $1,000 in credit card sales for free.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium

1.5-3.0% fee depending if you swipe or key in card. (They send the reader for free)

Day after transaction, money posts
Brilliant! Just signed up. Thanks for the tip and advice.

I used the referral link listed in the previous post. Here's mine, too, in case there's a limit:

https://squareup.com/i/7751AA2A3A
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:39 am

"Never heard of DBC."

This happened o my wife 3 days ago. ATL-TPA 2030 flight, #2379 . She was airport and at gate 1-1/2 hours prior to flight. She never left the gate. The GA did not make any boarding announcement. There was no request for volunteers. A couple of minutes before boarding time, she (and about a dozen others) moved up to the counter to see what was going on. The GA CLOSED THE DOOR to the jetway and stated plane was "full."

She had boarding pass, as did the others who were unceremoniously locked out. The GA left the gate and there was no one to complain to. Naturally, she did not want to make a scene and have TSA be jumping all over her.

When she got rebooked, she asked about DBC (I told her to do that). The GA stated he didn't know what she was talking abut, and he never heard of DBC. She finally arrived at TPA almost three hours after her scheduled arrival.

Have sent letters to DOT and Victoria ForbesRoberts at Delta. We shall see what, if anything, happens.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm confused. If the GA never made any boarding announcements, how did the other passengers know to board? And did your wife have a confirmed seat or a seat request card?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I'm confused. If the GA never made any boarding announcements, how did the other passengers know to board? And did your wife have a confirmed seat or a seat request card?
I agree, something seems to be missing from the story. There had to have been some sort of announcement since the plane left full. Do you mean there was no final boarding call, or that her zone wasn't called? Or was she on standby and was never notified that she didn't make the list?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Grogs
I agree, something seems to be missing from the story. There had to have been some sort of announcement since the plane left full. Do you mean there was no final boarding call, or that her zone wasn't called? Or was she on standby and was never notified that she didn't make the list?
I'm going with the last option, that she was on standby and never notified that she didn't make the list, although that would be inconsistent with a 3-hr delay.

And there isn't a single GA in the system who doesn't know what IDB is (although phrasing it as "denied boarding credit" might throw a few off).

Mike
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mspflier
Brilliant! Just signed up. Thanks for the tip and advice.

I used the referral link listed in the previous post. Here's mine, too, in case there's a limit:

https://squareup.com/i/7751AA2A3A
Note when you create the transaction (charge the card) put it through for one cent less than the card's value. ie for $500 card charge $499.99. If you try for full amount for some reason it fails to authorize.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:37 pm

Took $1000 to switch from a morning LAX-BOS flight to a redeye the same day. I had asked for $2000, but the GA said $1000 was the most her supervisor was willing to go.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Took $1000 to switch from a morning LAX-BOS flight to a redeye the same day. I had asked for $2000, but the GA said $1000 was the most her supervisor was willing to go.
Hope they got you FC too?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:24 pm

Nope. It was sold out.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:20 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
SLC-FLL redeye was oversold on Nov 18. Asked at the gate when the agents opened the desk. They immediately rebooked me SLC-JFK-FLL departing 30 minutes later, but arriving about 6 hours later. Redcoat reissued the ticket and gave me exit row for the first flight and F for the second flight (Y was apparently sold out). Also got $600 in Delta vouchers. GA said she was going to training next week about offering AmEx gift cards but that was not an option at FLL yet (but soon will be). The two GA's were kidding me about $100/hour for arriving 6 hours late and why wouldn't I do that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:52 pm

Maybe different offer gave us for domestic or international travel policy? I can see to Narita $4000 offered last post here.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kwang su
Maybe different offer gave us for domestic or international travel policy? I can see to Narita $4000 offered last post here.
Definitely different variables at play when comparing Domestic vs International VDB
Also depends on time of year, no of seats required, availability of next flight, special events etc.
A bump for a pre-games domestic flight https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...son-delta.html can also go for USD 4,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.