Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:19 am

The regulation was printed in the Federal Register today. It will go into effect May 19.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/08-1145.htm
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:23 am

Programs: DM
Can anyone tell me the current DOT rule if there is one. I am still steamed over the compensation for the MD** reinspections. With the devaluation of Skymiles I feel the 10k they gave was a slap in the face.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by jzumrick
While these forums are very useful, I am always amazed at how travelers go here for information rather than contacting the airline directly. If you get an e-mail reply to your question, that is proof of what you can expect to get from the airline. This is what all the travel troubleshooters suggest....
Who came here for advice? We're having a discussion.

Travel troubleshooters are great when you need to do a post-trip autopsy. There never seems to be one at the gate when when people are being bumped. Email the airline? Most people don't have computer access at that time either, and it usually takes a minimum of 2-4 hours to receive a reply. Think they'll hold the flight?

The airlines are lengendary for providing irrelevant answers to emailed questions. Rots of ruck.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by fmsm
Can anyone tell me the current DOT rule if there is one. I am still steamed over the compensation for the MD** reinspections. With the devaluation of Skymiles I feel the 10k they gave was a slap in the face.
Unfortunately the DOT rule only addresses overbooking, not cancellations. Since these cancellations are within the airline's control, they should pay for meals and hotels until you can get another flight. Alternatively, you should be entitled to a refund.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres
NEW IDB Rules

Anyone have INFO on the new $800 IDB rule passed recently (I think) by Congress??
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813543
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's a DOT rule, not law.

Follow the links in post 4 or 14.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, PC Gold
Volunteer Compensation

Has anyone volunteered to give up their seats in an oversold flight and get compensation in something other than crappy DL money?
I was gonna fall 8K MQM short of GM status and I was hoping to get a voluntary compensation but only to negotiate for the much needed MQMs.
Has anyone done that? Is it possible to get MQMs when you give up your seats?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
How can you still get MQM's for 09 status? I thought that get's wiped out Dec 31st.

MQM's are almost impossible to be gifted to you by Delta.... I had a flight cancelled that would put me over PM, 167 miles mind you.... they didn't do it, but still gave my PM status anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=amps;11231351]How can you still get MQM's for 09 status? I thought that get's wiped out Dec 31st.
QUOTE]

I was refering to the 2008 miles, I guess you meant to ask for 08 and mistyped. In any case that is irrelevant. All I wonder is if getting MQMs was possible instead of DL money for voluntarily giving your seat up.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I don't believe MQMs are in the GAs discretion at all but DL dollars (or cash), meal vouchers, and upgrades are common tools to keep customers happy. Many on FT would take the DL dollars and immediately book a mileage run.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:45 pm

Thanks icurhere2,
I never got the compensation, cause never needed to volunteer, but was just exploring the option. I'd rather get 10K MQM rather than getting the DL money enough to travel for same amount of MQM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've seen regular miles given but never MQMs for VDBs.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kelle01
I was refering to the 2008 miles, I guess you meant to ask for 08 and mistyped. In any case that is irrelevant. All I wonder is if getting MQMs was possible instead of DL money for voluntarily giving your seat up.
That was the point... The 2008 miles can only be earned in 2008. Status lasts until March, but the earning period is over on 12/31.

I don't think that you'd be able to talk any GA into a deal like this, mostly because they wouldn't have the power to do this even if they wanted to (unless they rebooked you via HNL!).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
That was the point... The 2008 miles can only be earned in 2008. Status lasts until March, but the earning period is over on 12/31.
Well, I know that part. I was referring to a past event there, that is why I used past tense, . I ended up going on a mileage run for 8500 miles in 28 hours (DAY-ATL-LAX-ATL-LAX-ATL-DAY) to close the gap, instead of waiting at the airport to be asked for volunteering....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.