Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
On Saturday on a nonstop from PHL-SLC both the Mrs. and I got $400 vouchers each and we got on a flight leaving an hour later connecting through MSP booked in first class both segments for a total delay of just over 3 hours. We were on award tickets.

Does anyone know if we will earn miles for these flights? We were given paper tickets that showed the fare class as F, but where the FF # and status it showed "no FF credit" (like the rest of our award tickets). Nothing has posted, but I was thinking maybe it takes longer for paper tickets to process -- hopeful thinking.

Also it appeard out next flights HNL-SLC is full, anyone know the compensation given for taking a bump from Hawaii?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>Just a few days ago my wife and I were booked in Coach on the 9:00pm JFK-LAX flight when they asked over the PA for 7 volunteers due to an oversold situation. They offered $200...

Was it due to a change of equipment? I was speaking to a gate agent who was concerned about the number of sigificant oversells due to equipment swaps, and the other GA then read aloud a memo just received (mid June) stating that in the case of equipment changes $200 would be the maximum compensation offered.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:30 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SpinzCity
Was it due to a change of equipment? I was speaking to a gate agent who was concerned about the number of sigificant oversells due to equipment swaps, and the other GA then read aloud a memo just received (mid June) stating that in the case of equipment changes $200 would be the maximum compensation offered.
If it is an equipment swap, they tend to switch to another 75E or to an aircraft with more capacity [domestic 757s or 763ERs]... 2 months ago, my JFK-LAX flight had 2 equipment swaps and they all were 75Es... I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems like DL is having a lot of issues with their 75Es one way or another.

Originally Posted by SgtWyatt
Just a few days ago my wife and I were booked in Coach on the 9:00pm JFK-LAX flight when they asked over the PA for 7 volunteers due to an oversold situation. They offered $200 + hotel + meals + guaranteed upgrade to BE on the following day's 7:00 AM JFK-LAX flight.
WOW! Nice, when I volunteered the last time on the same flight as yours, the GA refused to give me a seat in J, even though they were selling 9+ seats and what’s more, she demanded that I pick a flight that has "T" fare availability I simply gave her a displeased look and then later she rebooked me in Y so I could pick the flight I want. Do you hold any status with DL? Glad you got a rare decent JFK GA and was able to enjoy the experience.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 6, 2010 at 9:36 am
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Forgot to mention a weird thing about the bump. The hotel was a Hampton Inn. I tried to get the MGM Grand but the GA just smiled.

The weird part: The hotel accepted my HH # and they not only gave me credit for an overnight stay (usual) but also credit for the voucher cost ($47). I guess this is the contract rate for the airlines. Prev experience has been credit for an overnight only.
Ah yes, must be the Hampton Inn Tropicana! I stayed there on a DL bump voucher back in March and also gave my HH# at check-in. Got stay credit as well as points based on whatever the DL negotiated rate was ($47 sounds about right). It looked like the night I was there the hotel had tons of people staying on DL VDB/IDB certs.

My voucher amount was $400 for that overnight + hotel + meal vouchers. I was able to help the agent pick and choose the flights I wanted (I was bumped off the LAS-MSP redeye) but unfortnuately her experienced colleague overbooked the correct inventory as opposed to F/Y - so no bonus MQMs for me.

Also had an overnight bump getting to LAS on that same trip. $400 + hotel + meal vouchers at SLC.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
WOW! Nice, when I volunteered the last time on the same flight as yours, the GA refused to give me a seat in J, even though they were selling 9+ seats and what’s more, she demanded that I pick a flight that has "T" fare availability I simply gave her a displeased look and then later she rebooked me in Y so I could pick the flight I want. Do you hold any status with DL? Glad you got a rare decent JFK GA and was able to enjoy the experience.
This year I don't hold any status with DL and the offer for the upgrade to BE was actually made over the PA as a general offer to anyone who was willing to take the bump. I guess we really lucked out. I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.

Originally Posted by SpinzCity
I heard nothing regarding an equipment swap, though the GA told me that this was the third night in a row that she had been forced to bump people on this flight due to overbooking.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:37 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This year I don't hold any status with DL and the offer for the upgrade to BE was actually made over the PA as a general offer to anyone who was willing to take the bump. I guess we really lucked out. I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.
Sweet

I originally booked a Q class ticket and when we were rebooked after taking the bump I was booked on "F" class.
did you mean "J" class?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Sweet

did you mean "J" class?

LOL sorry I meant J. My boarding pass says "F" on it but when I checked my SkyMiles account they have it correctly indicated as "J". didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL FO

I heard nothing regarding an equipment swap, though the GA told me that this was the third night in a row that she had been forced to bump people on this flight due to overbooking.

LOL, I took that bump, too! (Were you two sitting in 1C and 1D by chance? I was in 2A... "hi" again!)

That was a great flight and a great deal IMO... get into LAX at 10am after a full night's sleep instead of 12:30am... I mean unless you gotta be somewhere what's there to think about??? And the icing on the cake was to sit up front in BE when Diamonds watched with envy from behind, thinkin "what happened to my upgrade?"
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Herb687
Ah yes, must be the Hampton Inn Tropicana! I stayed there on a DL bump voucher back in March and also gave my HH# at check-in. Got stay credit as well as points based on whatever the DL negotiated rate was ($47 sounds about right). It looked like the night I was there the hotel had tons of people staying on DL VDB/IDB certs.

My voucher amount was $400 for that overnight + hotel + meal vouchers. I was able to help the agent pick and choose the flights I wanted (I was bumped off the LAS-MSP redeye) but unfortnuately her experienced colleague overbooked the correct inventory as opposed to F/Y - so no bonus MQMs for me.

Also had an overnight bump getting to LAS on that same trip. $400 + hotel + meal vouchers at SLC.
Actually it was the other Hampton Inn, the one they call Airport. Decent place, only a couple yrs old with a great view of planes landing. Just as well, I was too burned out to be anywhere near the Strip.

Sorry you didn't get the bonus MQM's but it sounds like you cleaned up with 2 vouchers. I would call that a WIN in Vegas!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by hoth300
LOL, I took that bump, too! (Were you two sitting in 1C and 1D by chance? I was in 2A... "hi" again!)

That was a great flight and a great deal IMO... get into LAX at 10am after a full night's sleep instead of 12:30am... I mean unless you gotta be somewhere what's there to think about??? And the icing on the cake was to sit up front in BE when Diamonds watched with envy from behind, thinkin "what happened to my upgrade?"
haha, yeah that was us in 1C and 1D. Funny 'bumping' into each other on the forum. I agree it was a very good flight...I could get used to it. Kinda spoils you, but I'm not complaining! One of the coolest things was that for the first time in my life I was the very first person off the plane.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Gold
I'm on the 1x daily DL164 (JFK-DUB) tonight. Last night's flight was cancelled. OLCI has already put the word out that volunteers will be requested for bumping, so I'd like to be fully prepared for the chance of an IDB. As an infrequent flyer, it's not something with which I typically concern myself.

From this thread and this thread it seems as though I'm entitled to 200% of the one-way fare if they can't get me to Dublin within 2 hours of my original arrival time.

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared.... flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:25 am

[x-posted in the pre-merger forum since I'm not sure if those get read as frequently]

I'm on the 1x daily DL164 (JFK-DUB) tonight. Last night's flight was cancelled. OLCI has already put the word out that volunteers will be requested for bumping, so I'd like to be fully prepared for the chance of an IDB. As an infrequent flyer, it's not something with which I typically concern myself.

From this thread and this thread it seems as though I'm entitled to 200% of the one-way fare if they can't get me to Dublin within 2 hours of my original arrival time.

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared....is $800 cash (DOT max) an unreasonable expectation for being IDB'd on a TATL? Flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by hotelmotel

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared.... flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.
The 100% and 200% reimbursement levels are based on the one-way fare, not the entire round-trip cost, and are subject to limits. For international flights, the 200% level does not kick in unless you will be scheduled to arrive 4 hours late. See here for DOT rules. The EU rules are generally more generous, but I think they only apply TO the EU on EU based airlines, not sure about that though. On flights FROM the UE, I think they apply to all airlines.

The DOT rules don't explicitly define how award tickets are handled. I don't recall reading any threads where pax on award tix were IDB'ed, so I'm not sure it has been discussed other than peoples opinions on how it might/should/could theoretically work. There has been conjecture that airlines would IDB award passengers first to avoid having to pay any compensation, but again, I don't recall any reports of that actually happening.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly makes me a little nervous that on an award ticket I might be more likely to be IDB. Hopefully it won't get to that, especially since my wife is on the same flight, but on a separate reservation.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
[x-posted in the pre-merger forum since I'm not sure if those get read as frequently]

I paid with miles, however, so how is the IDB compensation determined? How is the one-way fare determined in the case where I didn't pay cash for the flight? Just want to be prepared....is $800 cash (DOT max) an unreasonable expectation for being IDB'd on a TATL? Flight already delayed 60 mins tonight. Hopefully not another cancellation. Not sure what's going on with DL164 last couple of days.
Hmm, Interesting keep us updated. Do you want to get bumped?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.