Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: 3Cforme
Wiki Link
My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 24, 09, 12:07 pm
  #196  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,169
Makes DL look really dippy

Flew SEA - SLC a few days ago as an Alaska elite. An older couple was standing in the mid-cabin aisle (I was near the back); I wondered why they weren't sitting down. Well ... there was no seat for them to sit down in! Before the boarding door could be closed, there ensued a game of musical chairs where one fellow gave up his seat so they could sit together, and then an announcement "We need one volunteer who checked no luggage, nor has a connection, to leave the plane, and be re-ticketed on the next flight in F, plus $600." Two of us dithered while the FA's at the back made shoo'ing motions; someone nearer the front beat us while we hesitated, thinking one of us would be "officially selected" by the crew. The announcer had to make a sheepish announcement "Yes, it's true - we at DL cannot count!" regarding boarding more pax than seats.

Do they do gate volunteering anymore, or was my experience the norm? If so ... ugh!

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Sep 24, 09 at 12:45 pm
Points Scrounger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 12:36 pm
  #197  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 3,656
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Do they do gate volunteering anymore, or was my experience the norm? If so ... ugh!
Yes we do it 99.9% of the time. It was just a mistake the GA made and had to take corrective action.
zsmith2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 12:45 pm
  #198  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,169
Thanks, Z, but I'm curious how this could've happened?
Points Scrounger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 12:53 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 3,656
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Thanks, Z, but I'm curious how this could've happened?
Not paying attention more then likely when the GA was scanning boarding passes.
zsmith2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 10:40 pm
  #200  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,385
Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
Downside to this approach is you won't be able to hear how much the agent had to offer any last-minute volunteers. If you catch wind of a higher amount, you can ask the agent to match it. If you're in the lounge, you can't hear any of those conversations...
A few years ago, I was flying CO EWR/PIT on a Christmas weekend (on a Friday). They were offering $200 and a new flight on Tuesday! I told the GA that I was interested in volunteering, but not at that rate. He said - That's ok. I'll just put your name on the list, but if I can't get enough volunteers and I have to raise the $$$ amount, everybody get the highest amount! I ended up with $650 and home late the same night - - -

CO EWR/ABE (bus service with a flight number)
NW ABE/DTW/PIT

They had a few volunteers and still had to IDB a few. Everybody got $650.
davetravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 09, 11:21 pm
  #201  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,076
I agree that the GA's can go up and beyond whatever the computer is programmed for, but often do not have to do it as inexperienced travellers go for lowball offers.
hfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 11:06 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Posts: 9,649
Recently volunteered on a Delta-operated award flight that I had booked on nwa.com (012 ticket stock)...when the tickets were reissued, they had the Y ticket designator (which excited me for the surefire upgrade and extra miles), but under my name it said NO UPG/NO MILES.

Typically, Ive always found that miles/upgrades are based on the fare class code. But, no upgrade was processed (with 11 out of 12 seats going to nonrevs) and no miles posted. Is this small benefit of volunteering one's seat gone now that the nwa.com backend is running the system?
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 11:10 am
  #203  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,251
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Typically, Ive always found that miles/upgrades are based on the fare class code. But, no upgrade was processed (with 11 out of 12 seats going to nonrevs) and no miles posted. Is this small benefit of volunteering one's seat gone now that the nwa.com backend is running the system?
Not necessarily. Keep an eye on your mileage balance.
Spiff is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 11:16 am
  #204  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Recently volunteered on a Delta-operated award flight that I had booked on nwa.com (012 ticket stock)...when the tickets were reissued, they had the Y ticket designator (which excited me for the surefire upgrade and extra miles), but under my name it said NO UPG/NO MILES.

Typically, Ive always found that miles/upgrades are based on the fare class code. But, no upgrade was processed (with 11 out of 12 seats going to nonrevs) and no miles posted. Is this small benefit of volunteering one's seat gone now that the nwa.com backend is running the system?
Same happend to me last week.
AndyTLe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 12:14 pm
  #205  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Before the boarding door could be closed, there ensued a game of musical chairs where one fellow gave up his seat so they could sit together, and then an announcement "We need one volunteer who checked no luggage, nor has a connection, to leave the plane, and be re-ticketed on the next flight in F, plus $600."
I had a similar situation. When I got to the gate I asked if they needed volunteers and they said they already had all they needed. I boarded and took my seat in F. Entire plane was full. Unfortunately two passengers (husband and wife) both had the same seat assignment. A FA went to the GA and came back saying one was supposed to be in seat xx, which unfortunately was also already occupied. The GA finally came on with a printout. He looked for a while then turned to me and asked, "Do you still want to volunteer?" So off I went and got my $300 voucher.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Recently volunteered on a Delta-operated award flight that I had booked on nwa.com (012 ticket stock)...when the tickets were reissued, they had the Y ticket designator (which excited me for the surefire upgrade and extra miles), but under my name it said NO UPG/NO MILES.

Typically, Ive always found that miles/upgrades are based on the fare class code. But, no upgrade was processed (with 11 out of 12 seats going to nonrevs) and no miles posted. Is this small benefit of volunteering one's seat gone now that the nwa.com backend is running the system?
Wow, I will be sure to be careful when I volunteer that I ask about this. No miles just because you volunteered? Now that is not right. I guess it can't hurt to take the extra few seconds to add "I will receive my miles for this flight and still be eligible for an upgrade, correct? when I ask, "What is the compensation for being bumped?"

John
fti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 12:56 pm
  #206  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,298
Originally Posted by zsmith2 View Post
Not paying attention more then likely when the GA was scanning boarding passes.
Yep...it usually happens when the GA takes the seat(s) away from customer(s) that look like a sure misconnect. But, the aircraft makes it in time for the customer to get to the gate. If using a gate scanner it should give an audible indication that that seat number is already onboard. If the GA is in a hurry or the scanner is down...sometimes you get more than one person assigned to the same seat. Delta's computers are programmed for either 400 or 600 Delta Dollars.
OHDL1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 12:59 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by fti View Post
I had a similar situation. When I got to the gate I asked if they needed volunteers and they said they already had all they needed. I boarded and took my seat in F. Entire plane was full. Unfortunately two passengers (husband and wife) both had the same seat assignment. A FA went to the GA and came back saying one was supposed to be in seat xx, which unfortunately was also already occupied. The GA finally came on with a printout. He looked for a while then turned to me and asked, "Do you still want to volunteer?" So off I went and got my $300 voucher.



Wow, I will be sure to be careful when I volunteer that I ask about this. No miles just because you volunteered? Now that is not right. I guess it can't hurt to take the extra few seconds to add "I will receive my miles for this flight and still be eligible for an upgrade, correct? when I ask, "What is the compensation for being bumped?"

John
He stated award ticket.
Compfreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 2:12 pm
  #208  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Compfreak View Post
He stated award ticket.
Sorry - I missed that part. Read too fast. Still don't like the "no upgrade" part - hopefully that will go away once the upgrades on award tickets are implemented again sometime in 2010.
fti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 09, 2:41 pm
  #209  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 13,777
I gather that only vouchers are offered in the US by DL, but do they offer vouchers or cash in Europe?
PaulMSN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 09, 12:23 pm
  #210  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Posts: 9,649
Very odd thing happened to me yesterday on a NW flight...volunteers were needed for an overnight stay in DTW to go on the first flight in the morning. Max compensation offered was $300 and a hotel. I thought it was either 400 or 600? And they had to come on board to beg for volunteers so it wasnt like they had too many to raise it to the minimum. Or are NW computers different?
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread