Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
That’s what I was trying to figure out - how to take an Amex or Visa GC from a bump and somehow cash it out. Like can you buy a money order with them?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212
That’s what I was trying to figure out - how to take an Amex or Visa GC from a bump and somehow cash it out. Like can you buy a money order with them?
Generally you cant buy anything that can be converted to cash. Money order - no, Store Gift card - yes, etc...

You can use services like PayPal, Square, etc to cash out the card by paying yourself using the AMEX GC. It's what I do. Order the AMEX, same day it arrives cash them out. Cash in bank account following day.
Tanzguy and JakeRobertson212 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Generally you cant buy anything that can be converted to cash. Money order - no, Store Gift card - yes, etc...

You can use services like PayPal, Square, etc to cash out the card by paying yourself using the AMEX GC. It's what I do. Order the AMEX, same day it arrives cash them out. Cash in bank account following day.
However, doing so will usually cost you a few percentage points.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
that's not quite right. If the card DL gives you is a debit card with a pin, you can go to any usps post office and get a money order for $1.20 then deposit to your bank. has to be debit and not credit for usps to accept for a money order.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:18 am

according to my local post office, about a year ago the law or post office policy changed and it's no longer permitted to convert prepaid cards like this amex card, vanilla debit, etc., to money orders. something about money laundering and gaining points, rebates, etc.,this way. somebody put a stop to it. she didn't know who but she said she got stuck with three cards herself. if your name isn't printed on the card, their system won't accept it.

ymmv
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by woodford02A
f the card DL gives you is a debit card with a pin
It's not a debit card and there is no pin. It is a prepaid card and you have to select 'credit' when running it at any merchant, not debit.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:20 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I usually do Paypal. I do lose a little bit of money but all of it is "profit" so its worth not worrying about losing the gift card or having to track the balance and such.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

A bit late, but had a bump last month:

7/4/2019: MSP - DCA, needed either 2 or 3 volunteers (don't remember for sure) on the 9 AM flight. Started at $200 to bump to the noon flight, ultimately offered $400 for noon flight or $600 for 3:15 PM flight. A friend and I took the $600 each for the 3:15 PM flight (vacation and had enough time to head back home for a bit.) Actually wound up being the better choice - the noon flight was diverted to CVG for a while, and while our 3:15 PM flight was delayed a couple hours it arrived before the noon flight did!
RobOnLI and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by woodford02A
that's not quite right. If the card DL gives you is a debit card with a pin, you can go to any usps post office and get a money order for $1.20 then deposit to your bank. has to be debit and not credit for usps to accept for a money order.
It's an Amex card which will never run as debit.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:50 pm

Flight on Wednesday 8/21 was overbooked by 3, but wound up taking 1. Unfortunately, some idiot bid $300. The kicker was that DL had to put him up for two nights in a hotel because that was the next available flight to his destination. I have never seen someone take such a bad deal. GA felt bad that I lost out and YBYL'd me into F since I had to hang around to the last minute. If they needed a second person, I would have got $1000 for a 5 hour delay (albeit a very creative routing I put together).
jjmoore and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
22-Aug IND-DTW asked for volunteer(s). I did and the GA asked me how much money I wanted for going the following day. 1st time I've ever been asked. Irrelevant since they didn't end up needing anyone.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL - PM
BNA-SLC on Sunday evening 9/8 oversold by six due to a combination of delayed earlier flight to LAX and the Tenn-BYU game the day before. $600 gift card to take a flight the next day. They ended up needing four volunteers.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Ordhater
BNA-SLC on Sunday evening 9/8 oversold by six due to a combination of delayed earlier flight to LAX and the Tenn-BYU game the day before. $600 gift card to take a flight the next day. They ended up needing four volunteers.
I would say $600 is pretty stingy for having to overnight and take a 24 hour delay.

Most offers I see on UA for similar circumstances are between $1000 - $2500.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Most offers I see on UA for similar circumstances are between $1000 - $2500.
Isn’t United still in damage control mode after that Involuntary Removal From Aircraft incident?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
8/30 - MSP-RHI on a CR2. Arrived at gate right before boarding when the announcement came over that they were up to $800 and needed 1. Next flight was a 10:30 pm departure instead of 2:30pm. Someone beat me to the GA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.