Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Not clear how "voluntarily" the GA agreed in order to avoid a possible delay.
She said, "Surrreeee, honey, they don't know what I offered? They told me do what it takes to get a volunteer!"

Sounds like the proverbial gun was certainly held to her head.

Please hold why I roll my eyes for 12 minutes straight.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm reminded of the Stanley Karrass negotiating seminar ads in the airline magazines; you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Well done!
Not even a negotiation! A friendly smile and a little giggle were sufficient.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I completely agree here.... though I must say that once the pax steps off the plane in this instance, he/she has accepted the offer, and the agent should have every right to simply say no to a negotiation while in transit up the jet bridge.

It's kind of shady, but kudos to the guy for finagling the extra comp.
I'd be tempted to reply "$1100? No, $900 is what you get. Want to ask again?"
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I wonder how much they'll end up offering day of.
No offers day of.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Today HSV-ATL solicited four volunteers for $1,000. Didn't require any of them.
ATL-PDX solicited two volunteers for $700. Didn't require either of them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
ATL-MDW oversold by 5

$700 offered for 5 people to get off and fly the next morning.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:28 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
According to the app, my flight from AEX to ATL had 6 people on the standby list and 2 remaining seats. 4 of the people had the same last name...I figured it was just a family who all bought BE tickets and didn't check in until they got to the airport. Unfortunately, one of the parents was a DL employee and they were just trying to nonrev. Oh well, maybe my TPA flight later this week will give me better luck.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL - PM
I've read about others getting this, but it was my first time in several years. I got a call today from Delta, telling me my MSP-ATL flight Sunday morning was oversold (Final Four?) and would I be willing to reroute through SLC for a $300 voucher. Without prompting, they increased the offer to $500 when they saw that I'd lose Comfort Plus on one leg. Since I'm traveling with a colleague (FO status), I asked if they'd give him the same offer, and they did. So a $500 voucher to leave 45 minutes later, arrive at my original time, but probably spend a three hour SLC-ATL flight in a middle seat three rows from the bathrooms. I'll regret it on Sunday and then Monday I'll be really glad I took it.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL - PM
Another first for me. SLC-ATL at 8:20am was oversold by 8 yesterday. They were actually offering to rebook passengers immediately on an 8:22am flight, through Phoenix, that would get them into Atlanta about two hours after the original flight. Offer was a $200 gift card. I was flying to PBI and asked them to check a routing through JFK that would get us in three hours later than scheduled, and it was available. $400 gift card each for two of us.

This is the first time I've seen agents offering to rebook people immediately rather than having to wait through boarding to see how many no-shows they got. My guess is that the next couple of nonstop flights to ATL were also oversold. And I appreciate how proactive they were with offering immediate rebooking.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:12 pm

Question. I checked in for my flight tomorrow and received the volunteer bump message for my MSP-BOS flight. Since I’m flying from PDX, I have many many options to get to BOS tomorrow through various hubs. Would DL voluntarily re-route me today, for my BOS flights tomorrow if I reach out? Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Probably not. Flights that are oversold now will often become not oversold by tomorrow. You have nothing to lose by asking, but don't be surprised if the answer is "no" or "yes, if you pay us $75 under the same day confirmed policy."
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Got $1,000 yesterday, April 22 for MLI-DTW. They asked for 5 volunteers at $700. I told them I would do it for a $1,000 and the gate agent put me on the list as the 3rd volunteer, but a few minutes later put out another announcement needing 5 volunteers at $1,000. Last flight out for the day. Ending up using only 3 volunteers.

Not wanting to spend the night, I got them to fly me to ATL and caught the last seat on the last flight to DTW arriving 6 hours later at home.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone have experience getting bumped and being allowed to rebook for days/weeks later?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Anyone have experience getting bumped and being allowed to rebook for days/weeks later?
I saw someone get days. I don't know about weeks. (It was a one-way, he was returning home and wanted to stay a couple more days.)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I saw someone get days.
I suppose my idea is risky, as you should be prepared to travel as purchased.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.