Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Delta called me today and offered $400 if I would take ATL-HSV one day later. This is a flight four days from now. Every Delta flight from ATL-HSV is sold out 25-Mar-2019. I declined.

VP Pence is coming to town.
I wonder how much they'll end up offering day of.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Don't know, but they called me again today. I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message left a message stating the same as yesterday.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Mar 22, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Very tough to say. Many times when they work proactively, as stated above, they will find close to the needed # of volunteers and at the gate, nobody may be needed. Seen this happen before on UA. Typically when I get the call, I will try to take it, as I know this is the best bet to get paid, and when in an upgrade seat, they will typically honor that and get me an upgrade seat on a protection flight when making the deal 24+ hours ahead. At the gate, it's much more of a gamble - higher risk / higher reward potentially.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Flying JFK-ORF yesterday. CRJ-200 booked even.

After boarding, gate agent comes on board saying a seat is broken and they need one volunteer. $1000.

I immediately stand up. Chatting with her in the jetbridge, I ask for $1100. She says sure.

Rebooked on an E170 out of LGA two hours later in F. Taxi paid for by DL.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Flying JFK-ORF yesterday. CRJ-200 booked even.

After boarding, gate agent comes on board saying a seat is broken and they need one volunteer. $1000.

I immediately stand up. Chatting with her in the jetbridge, I ask for $1100. She says sure.

Rebooked on an E170 out of LGA two hours later in F. Taxi paid for by DL.
Huh.

You volunteered at $1K, then reneged halfway down the jetbridge? I'd have been pretty mad if I was that agent. A deal's a deal.

She shoulda said "No, I'm sure there's another passenger who'll take $1K" and marched you right back onto the aircraft.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Huh.

You volunteered at $1K, then reneged halfway down the jetbridge? I'd have been pretty mad if I was that agent. A deal's a deal.

She shoulda said "No, I'm sure there's another passenger who'll take $1K" and marched you right back onto the aircraft.
Generally, the agents are pretty disconnected from the financial consequences of this, so if they give out an extra $100, what’s it to them? I’m glad he was able to get more — might as well.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:21 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Huh.

To me it seems pretty dishonest but for some ridiculous reason, people want to have the "last word" or whatever. They would rather negotiate it up to $1,005 then just accept what was originally offered. Still, if I was an agent I would walk back on to the plane and ask if anyone would be willing to accept the ORIGINAL offer.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by jackvogt
To me it seems pretty dishonest but for some ridiculous reason, people want to have the "last word" or whatever. They would rather negotiate it up to $1,005 then just accept what was originally offered. Still, if I was an agent I would walk back on to the plane and ask if anyone would be willing to accept the ORIGINAL offer.
Really? If you were an agent you'd delay a flight a further 3-5 minutes (which could make the difference between a passenger making a connection or not) in order to save $5 in DB comp and teach a passenger a lesson?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SamOF
Really? If you were an agent you'd delay a flight a further 3-5 minutes (which could make the difference between a passenger making a connection or not) in order to save $5 in DB comp and teach a passenger a lesson?
I completely agree here.... though I must say that once the pax steps off the plane in this instance, he/she has accepted the offer, and the agent should have every right to simply say no to a negotiation while in transit up the jet bridge.

It's kind of shady, but kudos to the guy for finagling the extra comp.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:15 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by SamOF
So in thinking this over, I realize it would not make sense to potentially delay a flight even more to save money, etc. However the point I am trying to make (probably more in my head) is that it is kind of sneaky to change the offer once you stand up and walk off the plane. It goes both ways, its only $100. The gate agent could say no, and the passenger didn't even lose anything, or the agent could give in and the company only "lost" $100. To me it's more the principle of feeling like you need to get the last word that irritates me (probably completely invalid on my part). Its as though you would only do that to prove you can bargain although you have zero leverage. Again, my thoughts and feelings are probably completely invalid.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt
So in thinking this over, I realize it would not make sense to potentially delay a flight even more to save money, etc. However the point I am trying to make (probably more in my head) is that it is kind of sneaky to change the offer once you stand up and walk off the plane. It goes both ways, its only $100. The gate agent could say no, and the passenger didn't even lose anything, or the agent could give in and the company only "lost" $100. To me it's more the principle of feeling like you need to get the last word that irritates me (probably completely invalid on my part). Its as though you would only do that to prove you can bargain although you have zero leverage. Again, my thoughts and feelings are probably completely invalid.
My extra negotiation was done in a light-hearted and friendly matter. I fully expected her to say no. I was shocked that she came on the plane and started the announcement with a $1000 offer. I would have taken the two hour bump for $400.

I also "changed the terms of the contract" when I told her that I would like to fly out of LGA instead of many hours later from JFK.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I also "changed the terms of the contract" when I told her that I would like to fly out of LGA instead of many hours later from JFK.
That was agreed by both parties voluntarily.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:33 pm

That was agreed by both parties voluntarily.
And both parties agreed to $1100 voluntarily. Not sure what your point is.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And both parties agreed to $1100 voluntarily. Not sure what your point is.
Not clear how "voluntarily" the GA agreed in order to avoid a possible delay.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My extra negotiation was done in a light-hearted and friendly matter. I fully expected her to say no. I was shocked that she came on the plane and started the announcement with a $1000 offer. I would have taken the two hour bump for $400.

I'm reminded of the Stanley Karrass negotiating seminar ads in the airline magazines; you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Well done!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.