Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by kxc262
Spring break is in full swing. Almost everything out of MCI is overbooked today.
Gate agents took 3 volunteers for MCI-DTW. Don't know about amount.
Can't wait til next Sunday (17th) ... flying out of MCO will be very interesting. Most flights are already packed with spring breakers (DL / AA / UA). Bumps will be abundant, but protection flights may not be abundant.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
MSP-LAX 10:30pm flight

overbooked by 3. Gate agents forgot to ask for volunteers. Went to scan pass and asked for volunteers. Asked for 1k. Declined by agent. He countered with $500. Only needed 2 volunteers but gate agent found them quick.

Took my seat in F since offer wasn't high enough.

Almost every flight at MSP tonight was asking for volunteers. Shorter flights were being bumped for $500 and people were biting.

2 misconnects so volunteers got out back on flight. Person next to me got free upgrade into F (she volunteered), even though there was 1 person on upgrade list.

Last edited by kxc262; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:50 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Can't wait til next Sunday (17th) ... flying out of MCO will be very interesting. Most flights are already packed with spring breakers (DL / AA / UA). Bumps will be abundant, but protection flights may not be abundant.
I recently had quite the bump fest. GA/red coats attitude was they did not care if a flight was oversold, they would confirm you on it. I got to know the redcoat quite well. My flight was oversold, they would rebook me on the next flight (which they knew was oversold), rinse, repeat. Made several grand in one day.
CO-PLAT and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
DL 2628 DTW-PDX on 3-12-19 (was on a RUC and is the last flight of the day). GA was offering $500 and a hotel to go out in the AM. I asked for $800 and to preserve my F seats (nowhere to be until 1:00pm Pacific in PDX) and the GA obliged.
Without even prompting she said she would put me up at the Westin since I am a Diamond member.
No clue if that is a good deal or not but I was dead dog tired and appreciated the extra cash and sleep.
Took the AMEX gift card.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by apodo77
DL 2628 DTW-PDX on 3-12-19 (was on a RUC and is the last flight of the day). GA was offering $500 and a hotel to go out in the AM. I asked for $800 and to preserve my F seats (nowhere to be until 1:00pm Pacific in PDX) and the GA obliged.
Without even prompting she said she would put me up at the Westin since I am a Diamond member.
No clue if that is a good deal or not but I was dead dog tired and appreciated the extra cash and sleep.
Took the AMEX gift card.
It's all a matter of personal opinion, but mine is that you got a good deal, and i would have taken it too!!
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL - PM
My 22 month drought has ended! BOI-SLC oversold by six today, they ended up needing five.. $800 voucher for a horrible reroute that includes a red-eye flight SEA-DTW, so I'll earn it. Every flight to SEA and SLC is oversold for the rest of the day, all due to customers coming over from cancelled Southwest/American/United flights due to the MAX8/MAX9 grounding.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ordhater
My 22 month drought has ended! BOI-SLC oversold by six today, they ended up needing five.. $800 voucher for a horrible reroute that includes a red-eye flight SEA-DTW, so I'll earn it. Every flight to SEA and SLC is oversold for the rest of the day, all due to customers coming over from cancelled Southwest/American/United flights due to the MAX8/MAX9 grounding.
Some of us would be thrilled with that reroute BOI-SEA-DTW-SLC is a fantastic way to get some extra MQM!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
Some of us would be thrilled with that reroute BOI-SEA-DTW-SLC is a fantastic way to get some extra MQM!!
That thought did cross my mind! It’s the red eye that makes it bad. But still worth it.

They went straight to $800 on my new BOI-SEA leg.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Wonder how customers are coming over from cancelled Southwest flights to Delta. Thought Southwest didn’t have interline agreements with DL?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03

Wonder how customers are coming over from cancelled Southwest flights to Delta. Thought Southwest didn’t have interline agreements with DL?
They don’t. The gate agent said they sold a lot of walk up tickets to people desperate to get out.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold

They don’t. The gate agent said they sold a lot of walk up tickets to people desperate to get out.
Interesting. I wasn’t aware BOI had 738/739MAX service on AA and UA. Sure it wasn’t something else?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Interesting. I wasn’t aware BOI had 738/739MAX service on AA and UA. Sure it wasn’t something else?
ON WN I wouldn't be surprised to see 738MAX at BOI or other airports that are service out off LAX or SFO. Also you need to remember that AA might not have MAX going to BOI, but they need to pull planes from other routes to fill the void, so that could be the issue too.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:18 pm

Not sure. It could have been the ripple effect from shuffling aircraft throughout their systems.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:41 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,

Not sure. It could have been the ripple effect from shuffling aircraft throughout their systems.
It had to have been Southwest. They don't have specific routes they use the MAX 8s on. It seems pretty random to me.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Delta called me today and offered $400 if I would take ATL-HSV one day later. This is a flight four days from now. Every Delta flight from ATL-HSV is sold out 25-Mar-2019. I declined.

VP Pence is coming to town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.