Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
JFK-SLC last Thursday afternoon. I got $600 to take a flight 1.5 hours later. I almost got bumped from that flight too for $800, but another flight came in late and not everyone made the connection.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Scanned this thread and couldn't find an answer, so I will ask..

I received a VDB voucher last week for a flight I was on. I have gotten many of these over the years on DL and they typically just go directly into your wallet. However, this time it was the new format of a voucher that you exchange online for a Gift Card (including DL). I will use it for the DL Gift Card, Voucher or whatever it is called. What I am wondering is that the voucher I was given says to make your selection within 6 weeks on what card you want (I want DL). Once I make my selection, is the actual travel credit valid one year from THAT date (the date I select the DL gift card online), or it is only valid one year from the date in which I received the voucher at the airport. That part didn't seem too clear. If the former, I will wait until the six weeks elapse before selecting the DL card, in order to lengthen its validity.. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by resolute; Feb 13, 2019 at 10:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Had a flight from DTW to LAS the other day where it asked me to volunteer for a bump at the kiosk. I requested $800 but was never bumped. At least I got bumped up to Comfort+.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by resolute

I received a VDB voucher last week for a flight I was on. I have gotten many of these over the years on DL and they typically just go directly into your wallet. However, this time it was the new format of a voucher that you exchange online for a Gift Card (including DL). I will use it for the DL Gift Card, Voucher or whatever it is called. What I am wondering is that the voucher I was given says to make your selection within 6 weeks on what card you want (I want DL). Once I make my selection, is the actual travel credit valid one year from THAT date (the date I select the DL gift card online), or it is only valid one year from the date in which I received the voucher at the airport. That part didn't seem too clear. If the former, I will wait until the six weeks elapse before selecting the DL card, in order to lengthen its validity.. Anyone have experience with this?
If you take the DL gift card option, it never expires.
jjmoore and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:24 am

I've never been in the position to try not making my confirmed flight. 7 Feb flying SJC-SLC. I spent my extra time in the lounge. Once at the gate they were asking for volunteers for $800 with the next flight out at 10am the next day. That was too late for me so I sat still. Decided to look up the flight options for the next day and there was a 6am flight available. They were getting ready to board and announced again, so I stepped up. Asked if I could get the 6am flight the next day, and when they said Yes I put myself on the list. They were looking for 3 and I may have actually been the third person. Heard them give my seat away, then cleared one of us to get on. He asked a few times "wasn't I the second person to volunteer?" He may have been, but I got the bump. He was in F, not sure if that had anything to do with him being placed last, or just a mistake, or maybe I really was second.

After boarding as we were being taken care of a woman walks up who had missed the flight (if she had arrived 5 minutes earlier the third person wouldn't have made it on).

They then rebooked me OAK-SLC leaving in about 90 minutes. They called a Lyft driver and we were off. Traffic delays made it look like I might miss it, but traffic cleared and the carpool lane helped me arrive with 10 minutes before boarding. Arrived in SLC about 1 hour after my originally scheduled time.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by resolute

Last time I had that option, I was told that the Amex (or Visa) gift cards had (6 month) expiration dates, but the gift cards for everyone else (Delta, Amazon, etc.) never expired.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
DTW-YYZ oversold by 1 today. Took a $300 AMEX card for a flight 2 hours later.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Is the DL gift card option still available, as an online option?
All of the rest are sent to your SkyMiles address, which for most is OK but I live in Japan only part of the year so it's a pain to retrieve it from another continent!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:54 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I always recommend to people that they get the AMEX gift card. I typically will buy a money order with it and deposit the money into my bank account. That way I'm getting cash.
I'm sure y'all don't need any advice for this but I usually will ask if I can be put in first class on the new flight or if not if I can have a meal voucher. I have yet to be denied first class and have gotten $15 meal voucher several times.
03ace likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
In a recent case I had a complimentary upgrade and when trying to rebook me on the phone the GA could not get me in F even though seats were available.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I always recommend to people that they get the AMEX gift card. I typically will buy a money order with it and deposit the money into my bank account. That way I'm getting cash.
I'm sure y'all don't need any advice for this but I usually will ask if I can be put in first class on the new flight or if not if I can have a meal voucher. I have yet to be denied first class and have gotten $15 meal voucher several times.
How do you buy a money order with an AMEX gift card? I always used it to pay bills. But, if I can get the money order, I can get more points.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spamkiller
How do you buy a money order with an AMEX gift card? I always used it to pay bills. But, if I can get the money order, I can get more points.
You shouldn't be. However some places will nonetheless do it.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:59 pm
formerly jackvogt

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You shouldn't be. However some places will nonetheless do it.
I just go to Kroger and say I want to buy a money order for however much the gift card is minus 59 cents (you get a discount if you have the Kroger Plus card). I just swipe the card and I'm good to go.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:00 pm
formerly jackvogt

Kroger in Atlanta does it for me....I'm not sure where you're located but its worth trying. Don't say you're using AMEX.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Spring break is in full swing. Almost everything out of MCI is overbooked today.
Gate agents took 3 volunteers for MCI-DTW. Don't know about amount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.