Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 18, 9:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: 3Cforme
Wiki Link
My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 8, 19, 7:56 pm
  #1756  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MCO
Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Posts: 2,590
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Spring break is in full swing. Almost everything out of MCI is overbooked today.
Gate agents took 3 volunteers for MCI-DTW. Don't know about amount.
Can't wait til next Sunday (17th) ... flying out of MCO will be very interesting. Most flights are already packed with spring breakers (DL / AA / UA). Bumps will be abundant, but protection flights may not be abundant.
jjmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 19, 9:03 pm
  #1757  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SFO/MCI
Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,412
MSP-LAX 10:30pm flight

overbooked by 3. Gate agents forgot to ask for volunteers. Went to scan pass and asked for volunteers. Asked for 1k. Declined by agent. He countered with $500. Only needed 2 volunteers but gate agent found them quick.

Took my seat in F since offer wasn't high enough.

Almost every flight at MSP tonight was asking for volunteers. Shorter flights were being bumped for $500 and people were biting.

2 misconnects so volunteers got out back on flight. Person next to me got free upgrade into F (she volunteered), even though there was 1 person on upgrade list.

Last edited by kxc262; Mar 9, 19 at 1:50 am
kxc262 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 19, 11:31 pm
  #1758  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,039
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Can't wait til next Sunday (17th) ... flying out of MCO will be very interesting. Most flights are already packed with spring breakers (DL / AA / UA). Bumps will be abundant, but protection flights may not be abundant.
I recently had quite the bump fest. GA/red coats attitude was they did not care if a flight was oversold, they would confirm you on it. I got to know the redcoat quite well. My flight was oversold, they would rebook me on the next flight (which they knew was oversold), rinse, repeat. Made several grand in one day.
CO-PLAT and jjmoore like this.
The Situation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:19 am
  #1759  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,089
DL 2628 DTW-PDX on 3-12-19 (was on a RUC and is the last flight of the day). GA was offering $500 and a hotel to go out in the AM. I asked for $800 and to preserve my F seats (nowhere to be until 1:00pm Pacific in PDX) and the GA obliged.
Without even prompting she said she would put me up at the Westin since I am a Diamond member.
No clue if that is a good deal or not but I was dead dog tired and appreciated the extra cash and sleep.
Took the AMEX gift card.
jjmoore likes this.
apodo77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:44 am
  #1760  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MCO
Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Posts: 2,590
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
DL 2628 DTW-PDX on 3-12-19 (was on a RUC and is the last flight of the day). GA was offering $500 and a hotel to go out in the AM. I asked for $800 and to preserve my F seats (nowhere to be until 1:00pm Pacific in PDX) and the GA obliged.
Without even prompting she said she would put me up at the Westin since I am a Diamond member.
No clue if that is a good deal or not but I was dead dog tired and appreciated the extra cash and sleep.
Took the AMEX gift card.
It's all a matter of personal opinion, but mine is that you got a good deal, and i would have taken it too!!
apodo77 likes this.
jjmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:29 pm
  #1761  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: BOI
Programs: DL - DM
Posts: 140
My 22 month drought has ended! BOI-SLC oversold by six today, they ended up needing five.. $800 voucher for a horrible reroute that includes a red-eye flight SEA-DTW, so I'll earn it. Every flight to SEA and SLC is oversold for the rest of the day, all due to customers coming over from cancelled Southwest/American/United flights due to the MAX8/MAX9 grounding.
Ordhater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:44 pm
  #1762  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,039
Originally Posted by Ordhater View Post
My 22 month drought has ended! BOI-SLC oversold by six today, they ended up needing five.. $800 voucher for a horrible reroute that includes a red-eye flight SEA-DTW, so I'll earn it. Every flight to SEA and SLC is oversold for the rest of the day, all due to customers coming over from cancelled Southwest/American/United flights due to the MAX8/MAX9 grounding.
Some of us would be thrilled with that reroute BOI-SEA-DTW-SLC is a fantastic way to get some extra MQM!!
The Situation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:46 pm
  #1763  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: BOI
Programs: DL - DM
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Some of us would be thrilled with that reroute BOI-SEA-DTW-SLC is a fantastic way to get some extra MQM!!
That thought did cross my mind! It’s the red eye that makes it bad. But still worth it.

They went straight to $800 on my new BOI-SEA leg.
Ordhater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 6:34 pm
  #1764  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Ordhater View Post
My 22 month drought has ended! BOI-SLC oversold by six today, they ended up needing five.. $800 voucher for a horrible reroute that includes a red-eye flight SEA-DTW, so I'll earn it. Every flight to SEA and SLC is oversold for the rest of the day, all due to customers coming over from cancelled Southwest/American/United flights due to the MAX8/MAX9 grounding.
Wonder how customers are coming over from cancelled Southwest flights to Delta. Thought Southwest didn’t have interline agreements with DL?
FSUnole03 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:00 pm
  #1765  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: BOI
Programs: DL - DM
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post


Wonder how customers are coming over from cancelled Southwest flights to Delta. Thought Southwest didn’t have interline agreements with DL?
They don’t. The gate agent said they sold a lot of walk up tickets to people desperate to get out.
Ordhater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:10 pm
  #1766  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Ordhater View Post


They don’t. The gate agent said they sold a lot of walk up tickets to people desperate to get out.
Interesting. I wasn’t aware BOI had 738/739MAX service on AA and UA. Sure it wasn’t something else?
FSUnole03 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:20 pm
  #1767  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Posts: 10,742
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post


Interesting. I wasn’t aware BOI had 738/739MAX service on AA and UA. Sure it wasn’t something else?
ON WN I wouldn't be surprised to see 738MAX at BOI or other airports that are service out off LAX or SFO. Also you need to remember that AA might not have MAX going to BOI, but they need to pull planes from other routes to fill the void, so that could be the issue too.
FlightNurse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:18 pm
  #1768  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: BOI
Programs: DL - DM
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by FSUnole03 View Post


Interesting. I wasn’t aware BOI had 738/739MAX service on AA and UA. Sure it wasn’t something else?
Not sure. It could have been the ripple effect from shuffling aircraft throughout their systems.
Ordhater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:41 pm
  #1769  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by Ordhater View Post


Not sure. It could have been the ripple effect from shuffling aircraft throughout their systems.
It had to have been Southwest. They don't have specific routes they use the MAX 8s on. It seems pretty random to me.
jackvogt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:49 pm
  #1770  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 770
Delta called me today and offered $400 if I would take ATL-HSV one day later. This is a flight four days from now. Every Delta flight from ATL-HSV is sold out 25-Mar-2019. I declined.

VP Pence is coming to town.
CO-PLAT is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread