Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:06 pm

Yup only got 2 this year compared to 2017 had close to 8. Happy new year to all!! Wishing all a lot of bumps in 2019!!!!
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
BOS-SFO was overbooked by 1. Asked for $800 but ended up not needing volunteers.

SFO-ATL looking like it's overbooked tomorrow since DL is nor selling tickets for it anymore. F has 0 seats open this morning.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Had an interesting one this week. Short story, $400 gift card, true F with MQM bonus for both flights but an 8 hour layover at MSP.

At my home airport I almost always ask if they need volunteers and take it when available so many GA (who double as TA too) there know me. In fact when I am on the list and they do not need me, they will apologize for not bumping me. My flight this week looked to be overbooked the day before but I was not given an on-line check-in VDB offer so I decided to go to the airport and hope to be get put on the list by a TA. Sure enough one of the employees who knew me was there and put me on the list at $400 and was told there were two people (non-medallion) on the list at $500 so I would be picked first. Get to the gate the next day and there is another employee who knows me and a trainee working the gate. I go up and mention I should be on the list and she says that they are over by 2, she knows who I am, I am on the list and she expects to use me. She asks about back up flights and I say I know what my options are and she says fine and leaves me alone rather than hunting for other routings. Later I hear her talking with the couple who bid $500 and they were not willing to split up so the GA had to get another volunteer, made me wonder what would have happened if they were the only volunteers, they needed 1 and would not split up. When we get to the end and they need only me, the GA explains to the trainee who I am and that they always choose me and she will see why. I say I am deciding between two routes but pick the 8 hour layover in MSP where the temp is -20F. The first issue was that due to the long layover it was not coming up as a route and they were not sure why until I mentioned that the layover was over 4 hours when the trainee said I should work for DL. (Maybe part time when I retire.) I was upgraded on both original flights so the GA tries to put me in F but both the system and her phone person would not allow it since I had purchased Main Cabin which was full although there were seats in F. This is the first time getting F when being VDB'd and OK'd by the GA was an issue, it may portend a change by DL. The GA pulled in an more experienced agent who was able to put me in F using DL TERM since SNAP would not allow access to that function. While doing this I apologized and said I would take the other routing but she said they would do anything for me. When they got to the compensation part I had written down my email for them before they asked for it which surprised the trainee that I knew the process that well. Net result was I got what I wanted and am thankful for the friendly folks working for DL, at least at my home airport.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'm not sure what the overall policy is (or if there even is one). If you're at $400, and a couple is at $500, and they need two and the couple won't split up, they'll take them. If I'm also volunteering, at, say, $800, most GAs would take the couple ($1,000) rather than us ($1,600), but at your home airport I don't know how strong their preference for you would be.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Paplover
At my home airport I almost always ask if they need volunteers and take it when available so many GA (who double as TA too) there know me. In fact when I am on the list and they do not need me, they will apologize for not bumping me. My flight this week looked to be overbooked the day before but I was not given an on-line check-in VDB offer so I decided to go to the airport and hope to be get put on the list by a TA. Sure enough one of the employees who knew me was there and put me on the list at $400 and was told there were two people (non-medallion) on the list at $500 so I would be picked first. Get to the gate the next day and there is another employee who knows me and a trainee working the gate. Later I hear her talking with the couple who bid $500 and they were not willing to split up so the GA had to get another volunteer, made me wonder what would have happened if they were the only volunteers, they needed 1 and would not split up. I was upgraded on both original flights so the GA tries to put me in F but both the system and her phone person would not allow it since I had purchased Main Cabin which was full although there were seats in F. This is the first time getting F when being VDB'd and OK'd by the GA was an issue, it may portend a change by DL. The GA pulled in an more experienced agent who was able to put me in F using DL TERM since SNAP would not allow access to that function.
A few questions to help me improve my chances of being VDB'd in the future.

What is a TA?
How did you determine that your flight appeared to be overbooked? Was it because there were no longer seats for sale?
You decided to go to the airport to be put on the list...then you got to the gate the next day? Does this mean you went to the airport the day before your flight?
If the couple at $500 each rescinded their offer, I would have expected Delta to then compensate you more than $400.
When my original purchase was main cabin, I have never been able to be VDB'd into F when there is no Y available on the alternate flight.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

TA is ticket agent at the counter where you check bags.
There was only 1 F and no Y seats for sale, I called the DM line and they confirmed the flight was over by 2.
Yes, for my Wednesday flight I went to the airport Tuesday afternoon to be put on the list.
DL will pay only what they have to. They got a second volunteer at $400 to replace the couple who dropped out.
One of the things often mentioned is that the VDB is a negotiation about $$, which flights and assigned cabin. If you don’t like the offer, you can push for what you want or decline. The caveat is someone else may accept less and replace you. In another case at this airport the GA told me they had one person at $300 for 1 and if I wanted to be picked I had to go lower, went $200 but they did not need anyone. This may be another change that the GA may be “encouraged” to go with the lowest bid if they are in the computer.
If the only available flights that day have only F, I don’t see why they will force someone to stay overnight rather than put them in F.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:00 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I am trying to find stats on past flights and I am having trouble. Are red eyes more or less likely to be oversold? Lets say SFO-ATL in June. I am curious because I may take a different flight if my chances of getting bumped off of a red eye are 0. I know nobody can predict the future but does anyone have insight as to my chances?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I am trying to find stats on past flights and I am having trouble. Are red eyes more or less likely to be oversold? Lets say SFO-ATL in June. I am curious because I may take a different flight if my chances of getting bumped off of a red eye are 0. I know nobody can predict the future but does anyone have insight as to my chances?
What makes the biggest difference in your chances of being on an overbooked flight is who is heading RM at the time.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
You decided to go to the airport to be put on the list...then you got to the gate the next day? Does this mean you went to the airport the day before your flight?
If the couple at $500 each rescinded their offer, I would have expected Delta to then compensate you more than $400.
When my original purchase was main cabin, I have never been able to be VDB'd into F when there is no Y available on the alternate flight.
I've gotten on the VDB list by checking in on a computer (using the full website, not the app).

I've gotten F on a VDB for a purchased Y ticket. Sometimes, I've gotten it when Y was available on the new flight (with a cooperative gate agent and only lousy Y seats available, with me showing a reluctance to accept if I have to take a middle seat in the back).

Once, I had used a RUC to get upgraded, and did a VDB to a connection on which there were only F seats available on both flights. After I flew, I got the RUC back because I'd have been in F anyway for taking the VDB, so the RUC was effectively unused. This is not supposed to be possible, so don't expect to be able to do it.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jackvogt
over time, I have learned that flights that have more pax connecting into them are less often oversold because of missed connections. My best VDBs, as a result, do not occur at hubs typically. SFO-ATL may not be too bad since many will likely originate there for DL flights...... though I dont have experience flying DL out of SFO since I'm a United guy 90% of the time.
ATLflyer2017 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
How often does Delta provide meal vouchers for those volunteering? I've had some success, but its been over 9 months ago since my last.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:24 am

If flying A-B-C, is it possible to be put on the waiting list at airport A (by Ticket Agent or a Gate Agent) for the flight from B-C? I wasn't prompted during the check in process and subsequent recheck-in processes.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've never had success with that. However, you have nothing to lose by asking!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

I have been put on the volunteer list for the second or third flight of a trip by on-line check-in and by an agent at the originating airport (different trips). Many agents do not want to deal with later flights in your itinerary or do not know they can do this and there are some who know they can but do not know how so you may have to hunt for one who is willing and knows how to do it. In all cases you need to provide an amount for them to enter. If the flight is not oversold most agents will refuse to do anything. Getting a prompt during on-line or kiosk check-in is hit or miss. Even if oversold, if the system believes all will be good, no prompt. If others volunteered before you and there are enough to cover the oversell, no prompt.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:12 pm

SLC-SJC. Seems like the last 4 direct flights of the day were sold out or oversold. Two of us got rebooked 4.5 hours later and two stayed overnight for the first flight tomorrow. $800 each (even though the announcement was $600) and meal vouchers. I retained my F seat on the rebooked flight.

I heard a Captain say this route is often overbooked on Monday & Friday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.