Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Here's a good one...

I was searching for one RT SDF-AMS for mid-June. The whole month is basically "MED" pricing. Throughout the whole process of selecting flights I was getting a price of 90,000. At the very end of the process, the price DROPPED to 75,000. Needless to say, I quickly finished the process and got the lower price.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
NRT-SIN-NRT, Business Class.
Depart 6/20, return 8/1
Especially good because the route features the 77L (full flat seats) in BE.
40K (10K more than the "normal" but better than the usual 60K++++ seen for this route!)
I got lucky, since I have some flexibility. All other dates around it are pricing out higher.
plus about $50 in taxes.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:44 am

Yesterday I booked 1 ticket, all in First, from DCA-MSP-LAX-OGG and LIH-LAX-ATL-DCA in September for 75,000 Miles. I had been watching it for a week and low availability opened up yesterday, and its gone today, so I'm glad I booked the award.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:47 pm

Booked 2 BE HIB-TXL and MUC-HIB for 100,000 each. Very excited for the Christmas markets and finding this fare during Nov-Dec.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
RT Award trip - MSP-ATL-MEX-ATL-MSP ... 35000 miles ... is this good?

Just booked two award seats at 35k miles + $65 taxes each coach for Mrs dd & myself for MSP-ATL-MEX (Mexico City) ..with outbound on May 25th and return on May 29th.

The round trip U fares for the same flights on the same days are: $786 ai.

So it appears that I was able to get 2.06 cents per mile.

Didn't have a comparison to know whether this was good or bad.

Coments anyone?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dd1612
Just booked two award seats at 35k miles + $65 taxes each coach for Mrs dd & myself for MSP-ATL-MEX (Mexico City) ..with outbound on May 25th and return on May 29th.

Coments anyone?
That seems to be a reasonable redemption.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dreps
Monkeshine, congratulations on your seats. I don't want to "rain on your parade" but you aren't expecting the new lie-flat seats are you? I'm pretty sure that they are not available on that route in August. We've been on the regular BE seats on the 777 and they are okay with us, but I must admit I'm interested in trying to the new seats on the 777LR and hope to on an LAX-SYD flight in the not-too-distant future.
No, I checked the configuration and it is not the lie flat seats. Though I heard the ERs are undergoing a change and sometime this year they will have the same seats as the LRs. Unfortunately it may not happen in time.

Last year on a trip out of DEN there was a change of craft. I was on United. I wasn't sure at the time but in retrospect it may have been a 777. Since I do not fly United much I am not sure how they lay out the various planes but it had 3 classes of seating, and i was in Biz. There were only a handful of first class seats and one woman had the whole cabin to herself. She had a lie flat seat. I had a biz class seat and it was pretty much a lie flat too, except they were in pairs. Nobody sat next to me though. Very nice seats. Sure wish DL would install something more like those.

Though I don't mind the DL seats. The seats on the 777-ER are supposed to be I thin about 3 inches wider than the seats on the 767-300. I don't mind the 767-300 seats though I do understand that some people complain they are too narrow. 3 more inches will be just fine. Or even the 767 seat will be fine. We're mainly very excited to take the trip.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL: DM / Royal Ambassador /PC:Plat / Hertz:5*
Booked 4 Roundtrip Tickets on DL, ATL-CDG for July 11-July 19, 60k per ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:31 pm

I use my miles almost exclusively RT for ORF-MSP-YQR or vice versa, which is a great value for me as I've been able to find 25k flights that would cost over $700 on average, though the saver flight has become ORF-DTW-MSP-YQR as of late.

This summer and even early fall, virtually nothing from ORF for 25K. But, I did have good success finding 3 seats at 25k YQR-MSP-DCA, and these are for my fiance and her 2 girls and we planned some time in DC anyway so it works out well. I was surprised that I was able to find pretty much what I wanted, first end of June to early July, and then after a change in plans, early to mid Sept. I was able to hold a good itinerary and then tweak it as other days or flights became available. The last itinerary was just about perfect, and the day before it expired, the Friday we preferred for departure with a good flight (1 hour connection in MSP, Airbus so they could sit together in a 3 seat row) opened, making a great itinerary, and I booked those. $2040 value for $142 in taxes and 75k miles.

I'm still a tad concerned over the 1 hour connection in MSP as they have to clear customs, but the flight at that time of day has a 80-100% on time rating.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by dd1612

Coments anyone?
Seems a bit weak, I probably would have paid the cash, to save the miles for a "true" TATL/TPAC J award. Just checked, Premium cabin could have been 60k (Low) yet were 100k for those dates, or about $1250 (A/I buckets), so it looks to be an even value either way (if you can get the Low, and less if not).

Yet everyone values and uses miles differently, so it's just a comment.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
I had 4 RT award tickets JAN-ANK for the family this summer (35k each) with the first leg being direct ATL-ANK, but the return through DTW. One of the flights on the return was changed and the connection in ATL was a bit tight, so I called and was transferred to re-issue. I politely asked to be changed to avoid the tight connection (2 kids) and suggested the direct flight would be much easier (but running 50k+ miles). The agent changed all tickets to the direct flight without any questions and even apologized for the inconvenience.
^ for Delta this time.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
40K is the standard amount for this route. NWA has it at 30K 2 years ago, but it was changed to 40K sometimes last year, even before the 2 programs were fully merged.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just booked a 25k award ticket:

MSP-LAS on a Friday morning, LAS-MSP on a Sunday late afternoon. Maximize my time in Vegas (get in at 830a Friday morning, leave at 500p on Sunday afternoon) and on the nonstops.

No issues whatsoever - I'm pretty pleased.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:00 pm

You gotta laugh. I have a Jan-11 cruise out of Port Canaveral. So I want to "burn baby burn" my last 50,000 miles and be done with Delta Skymiles. No NYC-MCO nonstops low tier in coach or FC. I did find FC low tier 45,000 miles with a Boston connection southbound and an Atlanta connection northbound. I tried to redeem it online and it would not let me. I call tech support. She tells me that she cannot redeem it because it says that mid is only available and that it was impossible that I got the 45,000 miles and it should be 62,500 miles. I told her that I have an email to confirm this that I can email her. She said no it was not necessary. She asks me to hold on to ask someone else. She comes back and asks how did I find this? Was it by "Multi-City" search and I said yes because that is the only way I could find low tier. She paused and said OK she will make this a one time exception and give me the low tier for the Boston-MCO leg that is causing the problem and she will note it in the record that no future changes can be made. She did not seem happy to be doing this for me. I guess they don't like us manipulating the searches using Multi City to get the low tiers and then having to push them through when we cannot redeem online. Oh well, too bad. Then she asked me why do I want to go through Boston? I said I had to do whatever I could to get low tier. And with the many schedule changes I will eventually get the nonstops. Another pause. And to those that say I am wasting miles on Domestic travel. I don't really travel internationally and I won't pay 40,000 miles for low tier coach and Delta FC domestic is fine. This is so ridiculous what Delta makes us go through but I will play their games. You gotta laugh.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DCA-SYD in BE via LAX outbound (using the non-stop AS flight) and via LAX and MSP on the return for 150,000 total -- base miles. 5/11 returning 5/19. Short trip, booked close in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.