Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Biz to FCO (Rome) & VCE (Venice) in May

SLC-ORD-CDG-FCO (Air France J)

VCE-JFK-SLC (Delta J)

150k + 78.80 taxes.

Tried to find 100k to no avail, but 150k didn't seem too bad when some itineraries where pulling up for 425k!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:26 pm

Good afternoon....I am located in MSP and just joined today after reading a great article in Conde Nast Traveler that I received yesterday regarding flyertalk. I am very intrigued by all this stuff..and was wondering how to get started in this whole process...I would actually love to do a trip like this...I have 140K AMEX points and roughly 15K skymiles.....care to help me out? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by kyushuman
11FEB MSP-LHR DL J (764 flat beds!)
12FEB LHR-SVO-KBP SU J

15FEB AMS-MSP NW Y
80,000 miles+taxes (less than US$100).
Very glad to get this award; the MSP-LHR in J only showed up AFTER I logged in as a Plat--so there was better Plat availability than standard.
This was on nwa.com; from what I understand, to be consistently "best-in-class", DL only will offer enhanced availability in Y.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by deltasig1994
Good afternoon....I am located in MSP and just joined today after reading a great article in Conde Nast Traveler that I received yesterday regarding flyertalk. I am very intrigued by all this stuff..and was wondering how to get started in this whole process...I would actually love to do a trip like this...I have 140K AMEX points and roughly 15K skymiles.....care to help me out? Thanks in advance!
Please don't transfer your Amex miles to Delta. Even with a 20-40% bonus, it isn't worth it.

If you want to go to LHR, I'd transfer to Air Canada (who only requires 80k miles to go to Europe in Business class and allows several stopovers). You can book on any star alliance carrier (Swiss has a great product, as well as Lufthansa.)

If you do decide to transfer to Delta, MAKE SURE there is low award availability (sometimes Delta requires 300,000 or more to go to Europe in business).

There is an Amex MR forum that has lots of info on the best ways to use AMEX MR.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by travelry
SLC-ORD-CDG-FCO (Air France J)

VCE-JFK-SLC (Delta J)

150k + 78.80 taxes.

Tried to find 100k to no avail, but 150k didn't seem too bad when some itineraries where pulling up for 425k!
Well dang. I was just coming to see if anyone was seeing AF tickets. I haven't seen any AF or KLM options in my search recently and was wondering if it was worth it to call.

Hmm..
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:58 pm

2 Biz seats

DCA-LAX-TPE-KUL-CGK going and KUL-TPE-LAX-DCA returning. AS domestically and MH Internationally.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
With all the problems people seem to be having redeeming miles for trips, I thought I'd post my success story.

I was able to book Business Class tickets on Air France with the following itinerary.

Fri June 11 Depart IAD 10pm
Sat June 12 Arrive CDG 11:30am

Tues June 15 Depart CDG 3:30pm
Tues June 15 Arrive VCE 5:45pm

Fri June 25 Depart VCE 12:20pm
Fri June 25 Arrive IAD 7:00pm (3 hour layover in CDG)

They ended up costing me 100k per ticket. The times and dates were EXACTLY what I wanted. No early AM flights and no early AM arrivals and no tight connections. I was also pleased that I didn't get charged extra for the extended stay in Paris. I was even to able to change it for free when I mistakenly spelled my wife's name wrong on the itinerary (I know, impressive...)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hmmm...grabbed two of these today...

MCO -> MUC 19 July

MUC -> MCO 28 July

First domestically and BE TATL low reward 100,000 each on Delta metal.

Now hopefully my wife won't make me turn them back in with "other ideas"
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Business Class to the Seychelles

Using tips gleaned from previous posters, I was able to secure two J class tickets to the Seychelles for my daughter and fiance for their honeymoon in late June/early July for 120,000 miles each.

I used ExpertFlyer to find O inventory on AF and then used the schedule search on DL.com for the requsite flights. Worked like a charm! Total taxes are "only" $174 each. Their itinerary is IAD-CDG-SEZ, with a stopover in Paris on the return. Rather surprisingly, to me anyway, was the generally good availability of J award seats from/to IAD. Every other US gateway seemed to be zeroed out for the dates they wanted.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Forgot to post this when I booked last fall; very psyched... managed to score NYC-CDG, stopover CDG, ORY-RUN, JNB-CDG-NYC in Business for 2 pax at 120k each + $166 in tax each. Will get to try out the 380...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
June 2010 ABQ-MSP-AMS, CDG-MSP_ABQ 2 BE tix @100k each, plus~$90.00 per ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Forgot to post this when I booked last fall; very psyched... managed to score NYC-CDG, stopover CDG, ORY-RUN, JNB-CDG-NYC in Business for 2 pax at 120k each + $166 in tax each. Will get to try out the 380...
is there a good way to go from RUN to JNB? thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ATL - LHR, LHR- LIS, AMS-ATL
3 Passengers in J at 100,000 miles and $140 in taxes/fees per ticket

3 different US origin/return cities (ATL, NYC, DC)

All international flights are the same:

August 26th 2010

Delta (ATL, NYC, DC) - DTW
Delta DTW – LHR (76D)

33 hour stopover in London

August 28th 2010

Air France LHR – CDG
Air France CDG -- LIS

September 7th 2010 (Open Jaw)

Delta AMS – DTW (A330)
Delta DTW – (ATL, NYC, DC)

My opinion: KVS Tool pays for itself with one good BE ticket at the low award level, and especially 3!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
IAH-AMS-CDG
LHR-CDG-IAD-IAH

One ticket, all in J/F, for travel in July, 2010. Total taxes were $267. Gotta love the LHR J-class departure tax! Not!! If departing from CDG instead, the taxes dropped by ca. $110.

The IAH-AMS flight is on KLM via the all business class flight op. by Privatair. Has anyone taken this flight and, if so, how was the service?

To put this together, I searched one way, by schedule. What I found interesting, and what saved a little time, was that if a TATL partner(e.g., AF or KL) was available for low level redemption, for a particular segment, it would display in the list of available flights. If not, no display. With DL op. flights, it was a crap shoot. Actually, never found a DL one available lower than at medium level mileage.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
EWR-CDG in J, returning VCE-JFK in Y in July for 2 pax at 95,000 miles and $62 in taxes/fees per ticket. (J on the return would have been nice, but we didn't have much flexibility on dates.)
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by arkangel
IAH-AMS-CDG
LHR-CDG-IAD-IAH

One ticket, all in J/F, for travel in July, 2010. Total taxes were $267. Gotta love the LHR J-class departure tax! Not!! If departing from CDG instead, the taxes dropped by ca. $110.

The IAH-AMS flight is on KLM via the all business class flight op. by Privatair. Has anyone taken this flight and, if so, how was the service?

To put this together, I searched one way, by schedule. What I found interesting, and what saved a little time, was that if a TATL partner(e.g., AF or KL) was available for low level redemption, for a particular segment, it would display in the list of available flights. If not, no display. With DL op. flights, it was a crap shoot. Actually, never found a DL one available lower than at medium level mileage.
yes, if partners have flights, it will be at the lowest level possible. So always pick partner flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.