Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Pretty amazed with nwa.com here. Just booked 2 biz class award tickets for next April:
EWR-PVG (CO)- ICN-NRT (KE)- NRT-HNL (DL)- HNL- JFK (DL)
120,000 miles and $60 each.
Pumped I get to try out several types of planes and airlines (777, 747, 330). If purchased, tickets would have been over $15k.. very happy here

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jul 9, 2009 at 7:15 pm
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Got a Great Ticket on Short Notice

I was able to take a long weekend in the UK going to the races and riding on trains (the usual for me).

On Monday, 6/22/09, I booked a ticket in J on AF, IAD-CDG-NCL and return, three days in advance of my trip; the price was 100,000 miles and $241 in taxes and fees. The published J fare for this itinerary was approximately $10,800.00. CDG-NCL was on a one class CRJ-700, but since the trip was only 65 minutes northbound and 70 minutes southbound, and was probably no different than a "mainline" AF jet to an airport in western Europe, it did not diminish the experience.

The flights essentially ran on time and I had a great trip.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Just booked three first class awards TPA-PDX-TPA for late July outbound, early to mid August return.

Wife: TPA-SLC-PDX on DL and PDX-IAH-TPA about 1 week later. Total miles 47,500

Son: TPA-SLC-PDX on DL and PDX-SLC-TPA about 2.5 weeks later. Total miles 45,000

Me: TPA-SLC-PDX on DL and PDX-SLC-TPA about 2.5 weeks later. Total miles 62,500

There were exactly 3 seats available at 22,500 (45,000) for the one way portion for the outbound.^

My wife had some flexibility on her return and there were a few options - none were the perfect itinerary but the one she booked works out pretty well.

My son and I are on the same flight on the return, but there was only one seat available at the 22,500 (45,000) level for the one way portion. I decided to just go ahead and blow a few extra miles to get us both up front instead of using 42,500 miles to book us in first on the outbound and coach on the return. I'll keep an eye out on availability on the return flight and if something opens up I'll use one of my redeposit/reissue waivers to rebook myself at the 45,000 level.

Not bad considering I was booking about 3 weeks out. I've been trying to purchase these tickets for about 3 or 4 months, but the price never dropped much below $600. Once DL gave us all some MQMs with the recent promotion, we didn't have to worry about keeping our status so I figured I might as well burn some of our large stockpile worth of miles.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: DELTA PLATINUM, NW, UA, EMIRATES
Talking Skymiles upgrade

About two weeks in advance (end of May) I booked a flight for the second week of June RT from SLC to ADD (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) using different combinations of Delta/Northwest (via AMS) and KLM (AMS to ADD). I did a search in economy booking; first I was surprised I could still get seats about 10 days in advance for that complicated trip. Miles deducted were 120,000 plus $93 fee. The flights showing were a combo of economy and FC/Business. Basically it went like this:

SLC TO ATL (DL) FIRST
ATL TO AMS (NW) COACH
AMS TO ADD (KL) BUSINESS
ADD TO AMS (KL) COACH
AMS TO EWR (DL) BUSINESS
EWR TO SLC (DL) FIRST

The day before my flight I called Delta Reservations asking a question about baggage allowance and she asked why I wasn't in Business for ATL to AMS. I said it wasn't available on my booking; so she said, "Well, now it is; and I just upgraded you" which was great! It was on an A330-300 NW Metal. So then I thought that I would ask the KLM transfer desk in AMS if I could get World Business Class on my return from ADD to AMS; she looked in the computer and said "Yes, it is available" and she upgraded me for my return; so I was able to get Business/First on my entire trip; which made 21 hours of flying each way much more enjoyable! My question is; is this common when booking SkyMiles close to departure that you can get Business/First or because I used 120,000 is that about what it would be for BC/First anyway (for a more advance booking); or maybe I was just lucky!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta (FO)
My first post ;-)

Booked award roundtrip from ATL-LAS for 9/3 - 9/6. Paid $5 and used 42k miles. The return flight is in business class. If I would have picked a coach return flight it would have been 40k. I figure 2k for an upgrade was a good deal.

When I originally was going to book, the business class option for the return wasn't listed. Luckily, I didn't actually book till 30 mins later and it appeared.

My question; why did that business class option show up the second time and not the first? Also, the award search I did was for coach and not first/business.

Any tips on getting good deals like that in the future?

Last edited by gt5059b; Jul 29, 2009 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hello gt5059b. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The ways of the delta.com award chart are a mystery to most of us. Stuff comes and goes, disappear only to reappear a few hours or a few days later, and do not appear even when those of us who have other sources know that they should be there.

So be happy that you stepped in some of that stuff and enjoy your upgrade on a route where it is notoriously difficult to get one comped. Keep reading around here and you will get more of a feel for what is happening on that and on other fronts.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:49 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Just got 4x Skymiles award tix from my home town airport (HTA) as follows:

May 26 (HTA)-ATL on DL
ATL-AMS on KL
May 27 AMS-MUC on KL
June 6 CDG-DTW on AF
June 7 DTW-ATL on DL
ATL-(HTA) on DL

all in Y

60k Skymiles each, booked online.

The overnight at DTW is by choice; a return to (HTA) entirely on June 6 was also available.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Aug 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta FO
DCA-LAS (via ATL) on 12/23
LAS-ATL on 12/27
ATL-DCA on 1/3
all in F for 45k, and all at good times (no red eye, etc.)
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Four Business open jaw to Copenhagen, returning from Stockholm, on first choice of dates 7/2010, at 100K each.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Used 25K miles to book a friend from STC to KTN then returning to MSP. Booked with NW not DL because there is no bogus "partner airline" charge.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Used 25K miles to book a friend from STC to KTN then returning to MSP. Booked with NW not DL because there is no bogus "partner airline" charge.
Sounds fantastic. Good to hear you have something positive to add, as usual, to a discussion. Hope to continue to hear your positive contributions.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:05 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
45K RT first class
BOS-ATL-SEA-ATL-BOS

for November 2009
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Got a 35k BOS-MSP-ATL-BOS for Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago.

Since I haven't burned any of my re-deposits, I'm holding off to see if fares come down from the $500 price range or so to a more reasonable level.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
snagged JFK-ATL-LAX-ATL-JFK for Thanksgiving/Christmas travel, 45K, in F.

Last edited by DLATL777; Aug 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Just placed on hold a trip to AUA in F, precise flights and dates I wanted. BNA-ATL-AUA-ATL-BNA, low-tier redemption both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.