Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Old Jan 13, 09, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
When is that DCA-CDG-CAI flight?

SFO-CDG is a great segment. You leave SFO at 3 or 4 PM in the afternoon and you return at 12 PM. You don't have to wake up at 3:30 AM to drive to SFO for a 6 AM flight as you would on DL flights which connect through JFK or ATL to Europe.

Flight time is 10 hours instead of 14 hours or more.

But 175k miles is steep. I got SFO-CDG-FCO ticket at the end of March and beginning of April for 100k miles. I forget how much the fees were.
Old Jan 14, 09, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
When is that DCA-CDG-CAI flight?

Flight time is 10 hours instead of 14 hours or more.

But 175k miles is steep. I got SFO-CDG-FCO ticket at the end of March and beginning of April for 100k miles. I forget how much the fees were.
Hello wco81,

I guess I wasn't clear..... I am flying DL DCA-JFK-CAI (6672/84) and returning on AF CAI-CDG-SFO (521/84 -- yes 84).

I considered my award travel to be a success because:

1. The flights got me to where I wanted to go in a short amount of time. Up to that time, the only available flights for a reasonable amount of time were 48 hours! And for the quickest travel time, I had to spend 240,000 miles.

2. I could have used 120,000 miles.. but again anywhere from 36-48 hours -- 4 hours at JFK, 12 hours in Cleveland or SLC. So I thought 175,000 miles was worth the extra miles for short travel. And way less than the 240,000. I think because I'm traveling to Africa I wouldn't be able to get a 100,000 mile award. I didn't want to gamble by waiting to get the same flights I have now in hand just to save 55,000 miles.

3. I was able to be on the same AF flights as my friend on the return trip.

4. I was able to book my AF seats using the AF website and my DL ticket number.

I am REALLY looking forward to the AF flights. ^

David
Old Jan 14, 09, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's right, Africa probably has higher redemption levels.

Hmm, can't imagine paying more to go to Africa.
Old Jan 18, 09, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Flying Colonel; Ritz Carlton Lifetime Platinum , Starwood Gold, IHC Platinum
Africa in August, 2009

^Just snagged 3 business award tix to Africa in August, 2009 combining low and mid-levels - 175000 miles per ticket. Skymiles International award desk agent, Theresa, was superb!
Going 8/4 PHL-ATL-AMS-NBO (low level) and returning 8/20 CPT-ATL-PHL(mid-level). Paid tickets would have been almost $10000 EACH, so value of using miles was 5.7 cents/mile.
Old Jan 18, 09, 8:59 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by atlas1126 View Post
Just booked a SkySaver award ticket for IAH-SJD in June 09. I simultaneously coordinated two award tickets using Skymiles and Continental OnePass. At first check on CO.com and DL.com both websites wanted more than the SkySaver 35K level. I then proceeded to NWA's Japan website (http://www.nwa.com/jp/en/home.html) to search availability. After playing with dates and seeing the available awards I was able to book the following

IAH-SJD CO#1452, SJD-MEX AM#489 MEX-IAH CO#1525

Unfortunately I could not get this to show up on DL.com so I had to call the awards desk and I got fleeced for the $20 phone fee and $25 partner airline fee.
Thanks for the NWA Japan hint.
I have had 2 tickets to India in November AF JFK-CDG-MAA-CDG-PHL and 2 tickets this year for my parents ORD-CDG-DEL-CDG-ORD
The first booked online, then the system is always empty the second via the phone while driving, in 5 minutes.
AA has the best award availability calendar - a month at a time for 6 award levels. Hope DL makes it similar though I doubt it.
Old Jan 29, 09, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
Well... Have to say I'm pretty excited that I was able to book my first award tix on dates I wanted at the low level. Booked F tix for my wife and I traveling JAX-HNL for Dec09. The cost per ticket was 75,000 miles and 10.00 taxes/fees.

Toal price = 150,000 miles and $20.00 taxes/fees

JAX-ATL: 757
ATL-HNL: 744 (upperdeck seats...weeeeeeeee LOL)

HNL-LAX: 763
LAX-ATL: 772LR BE (Sweetness!) This is DL16 continuing on from SYD...
ATL-JAX: 757

Just glad the calender worked correctly and the booking went through smoothly..... = success! ^
Old Jan 31, 09, 9:19 am

Programs: DL-PLT, HH Diamond, Hertz#1Gold, Amex (Reserve) (SM-Plat) (HH Surpass)
Just booked 2 BE roundtrips SRQ to CDG for Sep 4th return Sep 9th for the current lowest cost of 100,000 miles each.

The outbound is SRQ-ATL-CDG with Delta metal to start then Air France from ATL to CGD. The return is CDG-DTW-ATL-SRQ with Air France metal from CDG to DTW and Delta metal the rest of the way. Only bad thing is a 45 minute connection window in ATL on the last leg, I usually like an hour in ATL no matter what, but since we will clear customs in DTW we should be ok on the short ATL turn.

Now the amazing, first time experience for me! Did it all on-line with no midnight 331 day phone call. Our Europe trips have always been with a year advance planning and careful calendar and clock watching to make those apprehensive Midnight calls to SM booking agent. After I had made the on-line award booking I did call SM services to find out how to get seats on the Air France metal and they gave me the AF booking number and it was a piece of cake on the Air France site to select our seats.

Got a Hilton AXON award for a 4-night stay at Hilton Arc de Triomphe, so we are now good to go.

I do have to mention that the Award Calendar did not work using SRQ as a starting point, it hasn't for over a month now. TPA gets an award calendar to come up but not SRQ. Lucky for me that it only took two tries at different dates to come up with the 100,000 mile BE seats.

It has always been rather challenging to do BE to Europe at the lowest possible rate so this experience has got me a little tickled. My wife thought I lost my mind when I came running out of the office yelling, "I Did It On-Line, I Did It On-Line!"

Oh well, it's the little things in life sometimes...
Old Jan 31, 09, 10:05 am

Congratulations. I'm unclear, however, how you did it online if the award calendar did not come up for SRQ, yet your itinerary is for SRQ? I understand from your description that TPA came up. What am I missing?
Old Jan 31, 09, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dreps View Post
Congratulations. I'm unclear, however, how you did it online if the award calendar did not come up for SRQ, yet your itinerary is for SRQ? I understand from your description that TPA came up. What am I missing?
I don't know specifically, but it is often possible to use the multi-city segment-by-segment search to force itineraries to come up if the calendar fails.
Old Jan 31, 09, 10:44 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
A friend called me from Milan this past Tuesday to see if I wanted to join her in London for a couple of days -- departing today and returning next Tuesday. I was skeptical, but went online and was able to find BE from PBI to LGW for 100K round-trip; no convoluted schedule or multiple stopovers.
Old Jan 31, 09, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Is it really so unusual to be able to book DL awards that it merits a thread to report success ?

I book award flights (usually in C/J/F) all the time on AA, UA, AS, BA, VS, CO and have never had problems finding availability, so long as I am a little flexible. Indeed, I recently booked a pair of CO domestic F awards with the return on DL metal with no difficulty.
Old Jan 31, 09, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by dgwright99 View Post
Is it really so unusual to be able to book DL awards that it merits a thread to report success ?
Given the rush to book premium awards before last September's devaluation and the still persistent state of the award calendar, I would say "there's a lot more effort involved booking on DL's website than using AA's or NW's award search feature" is a bit of an understatement. Being flexible very far out or booking very near the date of travel (with extra fees) seem to work best.
Old Jan 31, 09, 11:44 am

I have heard of that, but how do you link them together for a low mileage total without dealing with Delta agents?
Old Jan 31, 09, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dreps View Post
I have heard of that, but how do you link them together for a low mileage total without dealing with Delta agents?
Well, now you can just transfer DL miles to NW and book directly on the nwa.com site.

Otherwise, find the "low" itinerary you want on nwa.com and/or continental.com. Then do a multi-city search on delta.com for those exact specifications, choosing identical flights as you found on the other sites. It usually works.
Old Jan 31, 09, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
Otherwise, find the "low" itinerary you want on nwa.com and/or continental.com. Then do a multi-city search on delta.com for those exact specifications, choosing identical flights as you found on the other sites. It usually works.
"Multi-city" and/or "Search by Schedule" are definitely your friend when you find an acceptable SkyTeam itinerary.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: