Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I would like to see a chart that lists all the skymiles award levels.
The link is gone; the old chart is still available:
https://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/...ine_awards.pdf
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:22 pm

Success.

HNL-SFO (stopover)-EWR-HNL, all three flights are nonstops, got the exact dates/times I wanted with the first two being in late Oct and the return next spring. First leg is on NWA, the other two are on CO. SkySaver 35K miles + $35 in fees. I'm very pleased.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
thank you, soitgoes!!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Can't find ANYthing for next June to Italy?! I mean, I am usually o.k. with connecting 2 or 3 times, but nothing? On all those partners? I find this hard to believe.

SAN/LAX/SNA to FCO/MXP/VCE/PSA on 6/13 and back on 6/21

It doesn't even have to start or end in the same city in Italy.

And DL, through the SMS phone number, is telling me that there is nothing?! How is this possible?

Amazing. We asked the SMS woman to find anything from the US to Europe on 6/13 and back on 6/21. Took me 5 seconds to find SAN to LHR and back on my own. So frustrating when they don't help at all!

Last edited by MikeyZBT; Jul 29, 2008 at 4:09 pm
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:04 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
I managed to get ATL-LAX-ATL SkySaver, in F, and my ATL-LAX leg ended up being the new 777LR.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Can't find ANYthing for next June to Italy?! I mean, I am usually o.k. with connecting 2 or 3 times, but nothing? On all those partners? I find this hard to believe.

SAN/LAX/SNA to FCO/MXP/VCE/PSA on 6/13 and back on 6/21

It doesn't even have to start or end in the same city in Italy.

And DL, through the SMS phone number, is telling me that there is nothing?! How is this possible?

You need to inquire what is the problem? Is it getting out of SAN to a connecting city, or crossing the atlantic, or intra-europe fares. Your options will be limited on DL, but you should be able to do some fancy connections in US/europe.

I just booked a TATL from SAN connecting in SEA and then again in CDG on outbound and through AMS and MSP on the inbound.

My experience is that you have to tell SMS what to search and be creative. ie. SAN/TIJ-MEX (AM) - CDG (AF)-FCO (AF/AI).....trust me, i use TIJ a lot for symiles, it is a bargain and the unrecognized gateway to the world with skymiles (AM to MEX/NRT/PVG and connecting in any of those cities to AM or CZ/NW or AF flights to beyond)
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by lls138
You need to inquire what is the problem? Is it getting out of SAN to a connecting city, or crossing the atlantic, or intra-europe fares. Your options will be limited on DL, but you should be able to do some fancy connections in US/europe.

I just booked a TATL from SAN connecting in SEA and then again in CDG on outbound and through AMS and MSP on the inbound.

My experience is that you have to tell SMS what to search and be creative. ie. SAN/TIJ-MEX (AM) - CDG (AF)-FCO (AF/AI).....trust me, i use TIJ a lot for symiles, it is a bargain and the unrecognized gateway to the world with skymiles (AM to MEX/NRT/PVG and connecting in any of those cities to AM or CZ/NW or AF flights to beyond)
Apparently this SMS agent "tried everything". I am finding SkySaver flights to LHR and LGW now and with the $100 non-stop from Gatwick to Venice, that might be the best choice so far. Apaprently, she didn't try "everything".
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Apparently this SMS agent "tried everything". I am finding SkySaver flights to LHR and LGW now and with the $100 non-stop from Gatwick to Venice, that might be the best choice so far. Apaprently, she didn't try "everything".
They never try everything....takes way too long. You have to tell them exactly what you want. I want to fly LAX/SNA/SAN-ATL/JFK/IAD/MSP/DTW/CDG/AMS/FCO (layover if you have to on any carrier). They for AM/AI and sometimes KLM/CO/NW/AF, they have to search this individually.

Keep in mind, the more stops the higher the taxes....I just paid $255 in taxes and fees on my last ticket....much higher than my $35 taxes to SAN-MEX-BOG-CTG-PTY-LAX flight and $65 on my SAN-SEA-NRT-PEK/PVG-NRT-LAX flight.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:49 pm

They never try everything....takes way too long. You have to tell them exactly what you want. I want to fly LAX/SNA/SAN-ATL/JFK/IAD/MSP/DTW/CDG/AMS/FCO (layover if you have to on any carrier). They for AM/AI and sometimes KLM/CO/NW/AF, they have to search this individually.

Keep in mind, the more stops the higher the taxes....I just paid $255 in taxes and fees on my last ticket....much higher than my $35 taxes to SAN-MEX-BOG-CTG-PTY-LAX flight and $65 on my SAN-SEA-NRT-PEK/PVG-NRT-LAX flight.
We asked for any city in the U.S. to any city in Europe. Clearly, this woman didn't care.

Also, I HATE this award calendar. It is such a liar. Everytime I get a slimmer of hope, it crushes me by showing me a "skysaver dot" and then alas, nothing is available.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:57 pm

I find it incredulous that the only TATL on your dates is through LHR. Call and get another agent.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
Originally Posted by CoachBoy
I managed to get ATL-LAX-ATL SkySaver, in F, and my ATL-LAX leg ended up being the new 777LR.
when are you travelling? and from what airport? cant seem to see no 777 in upcoming delta schedule.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:56 pm

I find it incredulous that the only TATL on your dates is through LHR. Call and get another agent.
Actually, the agent found NOTHING. My wife and I found availability to SAN-SEA-LHR and SAN-DTW-LGW.(But the SAN-DTW is coach.) These tix are for biz/first only, by the way.

Question:

If we find SAN-ATL-DTW or SAN-SLC-DTW in First and SkySaver, can I instruct the SMS to book those two flights and add it to DTW-LGW (Biz, Saver, NW) and keep the itinerary in the SkySaver category?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
For Winter, and a much needed Holiday, the fantastic women at the partner desk put this together for me (a welcome surprise to my recent frustrations with award tix):

BNA/ATL/CDG/JNB (3 days in JNB)
SAA flight to DAR (Paid)
17 days in Tanzania and Rwanda, then
KGL/NBO/DXB/ATL/TYS

All Business

Mix of DL, Air France and Kenya Airways. Paid $195 in taxes, and the JNB-DAR flight - did JNB b/c of family there and the trip is during the winter holidays...Not bad, mostly in "Saver." Waitlisted ATL-JNB on outbound so we'll see...

Also have BE BNA-JFK-DUB-DUB-ATL-BNA over T'giving to see Ms Air's fam in Ireland. Nothing like ye ould sod in November.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Air Brian
Mix of DL, Air France and Kenya Airways. Paid $195 in taxes, and the JNB-DAR flight - did JNB b/c of family there and the trip is during the winter holidays...Not bad, mostly in "Saver." Waitlisted ATL-JNB on outbound so we'll see...
When I call SMS and say "international" and "yes" that I am using miles, do I need to make sure I go to the partner desk since DL agents can't seem to find me anything? Do they actually have different things to look at?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:55 pm

Just gotta say, I love the NWA Japan site.

After the SMS told me "there is nothing at the skysaver level", I have found a few options.

Unfortunately, my dates are locked: must depart on 6/13 (land in Europe on 6/14) and return on 6/21.

However, I can leave from SAN/LAX/SNA and arrive to ANY city in Europe. I'd prefer Italy since that is where I am going, but if I can get to another city and then buy a cheap ticket to get to Sicily, so be it.

So far, thanks to the NWA Japan and Delta Websites... and NO THANKS to the SMS desk (which shocks me cause I usually love them, but it just seems that DL is getting cheap and not really bothering to help people find saver tickets), I have found:

LAX-SVO-FCO going and FCO-SVO-LAX on the way back. All in Biz on Aeroflot and all saver. (Or as NWA calls it PerkSaver... same as SkySaver, right?)

What can I expect on Aeroflot in Biz?

Also found:

SAN-SEA-LHR going, on Alaska and NWA, in First/Biz.
LHR-JFK-ATL-SAN coming back, on DL, all in Biz/First.

Also, why can't the Delta agent find these things if they have more tools than I do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.