Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
LAX-SEA in Delta First Class
SEA-LHR in Virgin Upper Class [Dreamliner]
LHR-BEY-CAI in Middle East Airlines Business Class

85,000 miles plus ~$85 [mainly UK passenger service charges]

[at first, it was pricing out at 94,000 + $300; turns out the first agent had put in LAX-SEA then LHR-CAI in the fare calculation line and hadn't confirmed SEA-LHR, and this was also adding the UK Premium APD]

Tried to use Alitalia via FCO but they claimed that Alitalia business class awards show Z class, and they need O class for it to price at low level, otherwise its additive [sounded like BS to me, but I'd rather a carrier I haven't flown before, with 2-2 and some lie-flat seating up front like MEA, than Alitalia for short-haul flights]
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I wonder what the state of those AZ planes for the LAX-FCO flights are like.

I've flown them a couple of times and the layout was nice, 1-2-1. But the IFEs were already subpar then and the pods were kind of grimy.

I liked them bringing out a couple of different pasta dishes as the first course and they would put some on your plate as you indicated which ones you wanted.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Award travel mileage calculator

HI,

Long time lurker to the forum.

I've a dormant Delta Skymiles account with about 12000 miles. I want to burn off the miles but noticed redemption rates varies greatly e.g. Virgin Australia BNE - PER one way 22,500 but Westjet YVR - YYZ 22,500 return. How does Delta count their award travel?

Hashim
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I wonder what the state of those AZ planes for the LAX-FCO flights are like.

I've flown them a couple of times and the layout was nice, 1-2-1. But the IFEs were already subpar then and the pods were kind of grimy.

I liked them bringing out a couple of different pasta dishes as the first course and they would put some on your plate as you indicated which ones you wanted.
I was trying to get AZ on FCO-CAI on their short haul Airbus planes.

I flew FCO-LAX on a 777 in J and it was fine. No more or less grimy than any other carrier. I would consider some of DL's 764's grimy, these are nowhere near that yet.

They used to load the pasta that way...but cost cutting...in June, they plated it all at the galley. They had two kinds for appetizer and I asked for both, and got very small servings of both, plated in the galley. They ran out of the "dine on demand menu" before the end of the flight, too.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by hashim17
HI,

Long time lurker to the forum.

I've a dormant Delta Skymiles account with about 12000 miles. I want to burn off the miles but noticed redemption rates varies greatly e.g. Virgin Australia BNE - PER one way 22,500 but Westjet YVR - YYZ 22,500 return. How does Delta count their award travel?

Hashim
Award prices are dynamic like revenue fares. This applies less so to partners, but sometimes fares are to be had.

With Delta, always search the one way and roundtrip separately as there are always roundtrip promo fares. Prices also change by the minute. So, find a redemption that you find valuable and take it [for example you could do Atlanta to Boston roundtrip starting at 9,000 Delta miles in Main Cabin).
hashim17 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:35 am

Booked SYD-LAX-XXX in Y a while back for 40k (a saver award on VA metal for SYD-LAX).

I found a J saver award for SYD-LAX-XXX for 100k the night before the flight on Delta.com and got Delta to change it for the difference in points (60k) and a refund of ~$5 in taxes/fees. They waived the change/redeposit fee (and the 72-hour rule) since it was considered an upgrade. My new routing also gets in a few hours earlier than my old routing.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL PM
Not sure if it counts as a success, but managed to snag MSP-JFK-LHR including ride on VS’s new A350 J product in December for 86,000 and $5.60 in taxes. I’ll take it!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
86k for one-way on a TATL?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:07 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
86k for one-way on a TATL?
Let him be...hehe.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Managed to snag a mythical KLM J award for Christmas.

Seriously IAD-AMS is usually impossible using SkyMiles.
Duke787 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Weekend SYR-DTW-LAX RT in Regular Economy with good flight times for 26.5k, roughly 1.5 CPM. I am at peace with it.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by t1c
Let him be...hehe.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:48 pm

Europe to South America around Christmas / New Year:

Outbound : CDG-SCL 90k on Air France J (787)
Return CTG-AMS-ZRH 80k on KLM J (787)

Very happy with the flights, but need to figure out SCL-CTG, which prices out at 500$-600$ oneway in Y on Latam, Copa or Avianca. Neither of the options is available for miles using Alaska (Latam) or United (Avianca, Copa). Any other ideas for cheap intra-South America tickets? Anything within South America looks expensive epscially around holidays.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AntonS
Europe to South America around Christmas / New Year:

Outbound : CDG-SCL 90k on Air France J (787)
Return CTG-AMS-ZRH 80k on KLM J (787)

Very happy with the flights, but need to figure out SCL-CTG, which prices out at 500$-600$ oneway in Y on Latam, Copa or Avianca. Neither of the options is available for miles using Alaska (Latam) or United (Avianca, Copa). Any other ideas for cheap intra-South America tickets? Anything within South America looks expensive epscially around holidays.
AS doesn't show LATAM space -- you have to check with BA (which may be cheaper than AS if you've got UR or AMEX to transfer).

Other option is RT with throwaway -- I'm in SA right now and was faced with similar dilemma on MDZ - SCL ($450+ for OW) and was going to do a RT with throwaway until LATAM opened Y space that I could book with BA
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Peak married-segment stupidity. This is available as an award, but there's no space on just IAD-LHR. Called DL to confirm.

I'd consider just getting off in London and leaving, but if I book this as a one-way I get hit with the EU origination surcharge on the return.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Sep 3, 2019 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.