Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Old Aug 16, 06, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I think this is my first post since starting this thread 330 posts ago. I just redeemed 2 BE savers from DC-MAD Open Jaw BCN-DC. They are for October 2006. I used DL miles for travel on DL, CO and KL. The layovers are a bit longer than I would have liked, but I'll keep trying to work that as we get closer. Perhaps a SDC is in order. Fridays are tough though.
Time to start making hotel reservations...

Last edited by El Boocho; Aug 16, 06 at 4:49 pm
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
I just reserved my honeymoon trip on Delta. I had no trouble getting almost perfect flights to and from Europe in July. Yesterday I put on hold 2 skysaver seats in coach:

TPA - JFK (DL)
JFK - CDG (AF)
after 2 days in Paris
CDG- DUB (AF)
5 days in Dublin/Ireland then coming home I couldn't get DUB-ATL, so I had to take
DUB - CDG (AF)
CDG - JFK - ATL - TPA (DL)

What a great use of the 100,000 miles, I am so excited.
Old Aug 17, 06, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I think this is my first post since starting this thread 330 posts ago...
We should now see the planets align and all of our warmest award reservaion wet dreams coming true. It has truly come full circle.

Be sure to make an appearance at 662 posts!
Old Aug 17, 06, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Here's a great award ticket story. Last September my wife and I snared the coveted M2 award--two free FC round-trip between the mainland and Hawaii--for 75k OLD miles, on the exact dates we wanted. In the process, we used up most of what I had left of "old" miles before they get "downgraded" at the end of this year. We originally booked this as ATL to HNL, then HNL to SFO, and a few days later back to ATL (from SFO). Then they allowed us to change the outbound from ATL to KOA (stopping in SLC on the way out). Since we were going to The Big Island to hike, this was great. So, at this point, we had an open jaw with a stopover.

Not only that, because the outbound flight was stopping in SLC, we were able to snare 7E/F all the way from ATL to KOA, plus on the overnight flight from HNL to SFO. Here comes the real kicker. Because of equipment not being ready in ATL the morning we were going out there, we had a substitute aircraft for the ATL to SLC portion. Did we lose our 7E/F on the 764 for a 738 or an old yet-to-be converted Song plane? Hardly. The flight from ATL to SLC was on a 777--that's right a 777. So now we fly BE on the 777 to SLC, change to the 7E/F for the flight to KOA, and arrive less than 45 minutes later than originally scheduled. On top of that, our outbound flights were the day before the arrests in the UK, so we missed all of the delays of the following day. Naturally we had a great time on The Big Island--we go regularly and always love it. Our overnighter into SFO was smooth and quiet and we slept quite well.

DL did "lose" one of our bags on the flight from HNL to SFO last night, but they just delivered it to our friends' house--less than five hours after we got here, so even that turned out well. Going home on Sunday in a 757 will be anti-climatic, but we aren't complaining.

In general, we don't have much trouble booking award travel. DL treats us well and we treat them well. That's the way it should be.

Last edited by atl runner; Aug 17, 06 at 5:05 pm
Old Aug 17, 06, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I think this is my first post since starting this thread 330 posts ago. I just redeemed 2 BE savers from DC-MAD Open Jaw BCN-DC. They are for October 2006. I used DL miles for travel on DL, CO and KL. The layovers are a bit longer than I would have liked, but I'll keep trying to work that as we get closer. Perhaps a SDC is in order. Fridays are tough though.
Time to start making hotel reservations...
I think the last sentence in your post may be the most important and a point that two many people forget when trying to redeem awards: get award flights booked first, then go after hotels. My original return last week from Italy wasn't ideal, but I wasn't complaining. I had J or F seats on all legs. Two days before my outbound, I checked with DL again and they were able to make some changes and get me a perfect return itinerary. Thank goodness. I came through Dulles on Wednesday the 9th and my original routing had me flying into JFK on the 10th.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I got two SkySaver open-jaw tickets from ATL-toJFK to BUD then VCE direct to ATL for July 07. ^
Old Aug 17, 06, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but a few weeks ago, I got BOS-JFK-MAN-MXP-ATH-PRG-MAN-JFK-BOS. Not the best routing to ATH, but it puts both myself and a friend of mine on the JFK-MAN-MXP-ATH-PRG-MAN-JFK portions together. It seems that the JFK-MAN is a great flight for award bookings... ^ ^ Of course, that doesn't bode well for the continued operation of the flight...
Old Aug 18, 06, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PLT, Marriott PLT
I just booked one SkySaver BE ATL-FCO/FCO-ATL and return (for me), and one SkySaver BE MSP-ATL-FCO/FCO-ATL-MSP and return (for travel companion) in February. There were tons of dates to choose from through about February 18 in BE. I was thrilled even though it is not the ideal time to visit Rome (in some peoples' opinions!). There still are tons of dates if anyone is interested...

I also just returned (last week) from a trip ATL-LGW and return in SkySaver coach which I was able to book about 2 months out on the exact dates I wanted. I would have liked BE but I was happy to get coach and waitlist. Unfortunately, I did not clear the waitlist but the flight over was half full and I got the three middle seats, and on the flight back I got the former FC seat in row 5. Not bad at all.
Old Aug 20, 06, 3:18 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Booked:

ZRH-AMS-KWI Dec
KWI-AMS-ZRH Jan

WorldBusiness Class on KLM. Ticket prices out at ~$2750.00, and used 60,000 miles. Comes out to 4.5 cents/mile ^

Couldn't get Business on the AMS-ZRH leg in Jan, but its 45 minutes, not a big deal. Also, has to be issued as a paper ticket, which is a bummer but oh well.

Edited to add a question:

My mileage balance has been deducted the 60,000 miles but there is not a line item showing the redemption. Usually there is something like "Award Redemption, Certificate #xxx(Code xxxx)" and then the Ticket # and the taxes paid. Is this not going to show up because of the paper ticket, or do I have to wait until KLM issues the ticket or something like that?

Last edited by TTT; Aug 20, 06 at 9:08 pm
Old Aug 21, 06, 9:01 am

Booked 2 BE saver awards today SDF-ATL-JFK-AMS & return for next July. First choice of dates.

Also just booked 1 SQ J ticket SDF-SFO-HKG/SIN-LAX-SDF 12/27-1/12, again first choice of dates.
Old Aug 21, 06, 9:29 am

Programs: DL,CO,SWA
Just booked 2 SkySaver tickets EWR-HNL for 12/8-12/15 through Continental. Both flights are direct, non-stop Class G tickets (won't be accruing FF miles unfortunately). However, for $15 a ticket you can't beat it.
Old Aug 21, 06, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Recently booked 3 First Class SkySaver tickets to Vancouver for February 2007 (final destination Whistler for skiing) on my exact choice of dates with close to ideal schedules. Outbound: CAE-ATL-YVR, return: YVR(coach on AS)-SEA-ATL-CAE.
Old Aug 22, 06, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Plat, Marriott Life Plat, SPG Plat
Trumped a few this week... on short notice as well.

PHL-CDG-FCO for 8/24
VCE-CDG-IAD for 9/4 (2 tickets) (AF Business)

PHL-CDG-BOM for 10/18
BOM-CDG-IAD for 11/14 (AF Business)

JFK-BOM for 12/15
BOM-JFK for 1/20 (Delta BE)

The first were coach tickets booked 6 months back; coach was the only thing available that point in time. Business seats opened up over the weeekend.
Old Aug 22, 06, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by bludgeon29
PHL-CDG-FCO for 8/24
VCE-CDG-IAD for 9/4 (2 tickets) (AF Business)
How'd you talk them into open-jaw and different departure/arrival cities?
Old Aug 22, 06, 3:08 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
SQ First again!

Successfully scored one for hubby (PM) for travel in October. First try too, and all the dates he wanted. Amazing.

All first class:

ORD-SLC-SFO-HKG
HKG-SFO-ATL-ORD

Thank you, Delta. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: