Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Southern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamont2718
Last updated: 8/29/2016

In early 2015, Delta began publishing blackout dates for DL award redemptions on China Southern flights. The following blackout dates are now found in the Delta SkyMiles terms and conditions (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...blackout+dates):

Europe to China
Mar. 18 - Mar. 26
Apr. 13 - Apr. 23
Jun. 25 - Aug. 30
Oct. 4 - Oct. 23
Dec. 8 - Dec. 23

China to Europe
Jan. 2 - Jan. 15
Mar. 27 - Apr. 10
Apr. 17 - Apr. 28
Jun. 20 - Oct. 2
Oct. 17 - Oct. 28

North America to China
Feb. 12 - Feb. 24
May 12 - Jun. 30
Jul. 25 - Aug. 31
Oct. 4 - Oct. 14
Dec. 8 - Dec. 23

China to North America
Jan 2. - Jan. 15
Jan. 29 - Feb. 9
Jun. 24 - Sep. 4
Sep. 27 - Oct. 2

Oceania to China
Jan. 1 - Jan. 5
Feb. 11 - Feb. 22
Jun. 19 - Jun. 27
Nov. 29 - Jan. 10, 2017

China to Oceania
Jan. 1 - Mar. 2
Jul. 10 - Aug. 10
Sep. 27 - Oct. 5

The 2016 blackout dates for North America to China cover 128 days, or 35% of the calendar year.
Print Wikipost

China Southern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by windcloud5
As of today, Delta still haven't publish the blackout date on CZ for 2017. I wanted to book an award flight from CZ to JFK for 4/22. Delta shows there is availability for two seats on that date. I transferred the points from MR to Delta. When I try to book the flight, I can't get through at the checkout page. It must be this stupid blackout dates.
Could be unplushed DL blackout dates for CZ (it is so if it also shows up as available on airfrance.us FB search), or could be phantom inventory (DL showing cached and not real time inventory).
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
is there any way to find out how many mqms i would earn for a del-jfk-del segment on cz????

the route will be del-can-jfk-can-del in business (i class)....according to the unofficial skymiles calculator i would get 30,870 mqms but have no clue how accurate this would be....
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:54 pm

Just booked two Delta award for friends RDU(Delta R, CRJ900)-JFK(CZ O, 777-300ER)-CAN(MU A, A320)-HGH.

Question: 1. Which Lounge(s) are available at JFK? I assume is T4?
2. Picked 13K/14K window seats on 777-300ER, any comments on these two? The other option is two middle seats like 11E/11F or 14E/14F. Any pros and cons?
3. Stopover at CAN is 4 hours, do they allow switching to any earlier flights if they are available w/o fees? Who should we contact, Delta/CZ/MU?
4. I was given CZ record locator but was not able to pull up the reservations from CZ website. However, I was able to pull up the reservation from MU website with the 006 ticket number. Should I be concerned not being able to see on CZ website?
5. Wifi available on CZ or MU?

Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by yoyo
Just booked two Delta award for friends RDU(Delta R, CRJ900)-JFK(CZ O, 777-300ER)-CAN(MU A, A320)-HGH.

Question:
2. Picked 13K/14K window seats on 777-300ER, any comments on these two? The other option is two middle seats like 11E/11F or 14E/14F. Any pros and cons?
3. Stopover at CAN is 4 hours, do they allow switching to any earlier flights if they are available w/o fees? Who should we contact, Delta/CZ/MU?
4. I was given CZ record locator but was not able to pull up the reservations from CZ website. However, I was able to pull up the reservation from MU website with the 006 ticket number. Should I be concerned not being able to see on CZ website?

Thanks.
We did 14E/F on CAN-JFK last August. The seats are right beside each other with the storage/table on the outside so you have a little separation from the aisle. We didn't have an option for an earlier flight but the lounge at CAN had some nice little nap rooms to relax in. I was never able to get the CZ website to function for me but I called in to their US office to confirm our seat assignments before our outbound from NYC and it all worked out on our return HKT-CAN-JFK.
Attached Images  

Last edited by zitozac; Sep 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by zitozac
We did 14E/F on CAN-JFK last August. The seats are right beside each other with the storage/table on the outside so you have a little separation from the aisle. We didn't have an option for an earlier flight but the lounge at CAN had some nice little nap rooms to relax in. I was never able to get the CZ website to function for me but I called in to their US office to confirm our seat assignments before our outbound from NYC and it all worked out on our return HKT-CAN-JFK.
Thanks. two middle seats look very cozy.^
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can use eithe T4 SC or Wingtips. Use SC!

Cant say much on seats. Never flown CZ 777, only A330.

If they check bags, then no to earlier flight from CAN. If no bags possibly. However since on award ticket they (MU) most likely will refuse. CZ won't change the MU flight unless they cause you to miss it. You also won't be able to get MU to put you on CZ flight if one is available for domestic flight.

PS Dont forget friends need visas.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Can use eithe T4 SC or Wingtips. Use SC!

Cant say much on seats. Never flown CZ 777, only A330.

If they check bags, then no to earlier flight from CAN. If no bags possibly. However since on award ticket they (MU) most likely will refuse. CZ won't change the MU flight unless they cause you to miss it. You also won't be able to get MU to put you on CZ flight if one is available for domestic flight.

PS Dont forget friends need visas.
They do have checked bags. Good to know but I guess it never hurts to try.
Thanks for the visa reminder I will pass on the reminder to them.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by zitozac
Seatguru shows bath room in between 13K and 14K:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ch..._777-300ER.php

But I did not see this on various yourtube videos. Do you remember if bath room is in between row 13 and 14? Thanks.

Last edited by yoyo; Nov 4, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Preferred Y seats JFK-CAN

Hi folks,
i am flying JFK-CAN in December then to MNL. I was told that as a skyteam elite plus member, I cannot choose seats toward the front of the cabin. They gave me seats in the 50s, albeit some nice aisle seats. They told me I had to pay $90 to get the seat with extra legroom. I would like to snag that extra legroom seat especially on the long JFK-CAN flight. Hs anyone had success as a DL PM (ST elite) with obtaining the CZ economy preferred seats? The agent in China said to wait until check-in at the airport but I have a feeling they will be all gone by then. sky team eite plus members can get access to these seats, right?

Also, which lounge at JFK, CAN.m and at MNL should I use? Is it the normal DL SC, as I’ve read or is there an alternate one for CZ? Is CAN easy to transit through? Do you think I should get a Chinese visa in case something happens and they need me to stay for a day? I saw horror stories on FT about not having visas when IRROPs occur.
any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
AA announced today codeshare agreement with CZ. Add that to the CZ going to OW vs ST alliance rumors plus AA's $200m investment into CZ. Maybe time to start booking your last CZ tickets like LAX/JFK-CAN in the A380....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.