Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Dining Program and Rewards Network: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Dining Program and Rewards Network: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2002, 9:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I guess it's just a bit of an ethical thing for me. I would have trouble submitting an expense form for something I know I'm going to get 20% back on. I know miles have value too but I guess it's just easier for me to justify to my conscience.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Spiff, if you use your own credit card, your employer would never know that you have received the 20% back. Most of us submit the credit card receipt and not the monthly statement where the discount appears as a separate line item.

As the miles you receive are not elite status miles, and as many of us have hundreds of thousands of Skymiles in our acounts, I am leaning towards the 20% cash back option, as the mileage option really won't make a major difference in the balance of my account.

the scribbler mentioned receiving 2500 & 5000 bonus mile awards from Idine. I would like to hear more about that.
</font>
Old Mar 1, 2002, 11:50 am

Many large and small companies have corporate card agreements with AMEX, DC, MC and others where the company gets electronic statements for all corporate card use. This statement shows all purchases, refunds, credits and fees for corporate issued charged cards. Corporate issued cards are usually those where the discounted annual fee is directly paid by the employer.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I take the miles. Cash is cash, and gets spent with the rest of it. Miles are like a forced savings plan for me, particulary since I am an infrequent business traveller. Also, I find it very useful for topping off and/or keeping active various FF accounts of family members. Many of the restaurants in my area participate, so it does not take a big effort.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Please also see for an informative discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

Unlike many of the posters above I make a real effort to eat at IDINE restaurants. My family would rather eat out than endure my cooking. Consequently, we eat out WAY too much.

I make a deal with them that we can go out if we eat for miles. So, it is not unusual for me to get 5K plus miles per month. We have a very decent selection of restaurants here in SAT.

It is possible to go to restaurants more than once a month. One must just use a different IDINE registered credit card. (See the other thread).

As for the 2500 and 3000 bonus: I have many times received 500 bonus miles for eating at one of the restaurants 3 times in a certain period (seems like it was over a couple of months). Only once did I get a few thousand miles and I don't think it is a common bonus.

I think IDINE is a terrific deal. It's one of the best nonflying ways to earn miles. Better would only be my credit cards and Goldpoints.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 8:51 pm

I'm eating my way to Europe (and it's starting to show! ). PHX and the valley are loaded with restaurants on the list. Personal dining coupled with business dining pays off well for me. The real treat is when you do a restaurant that you don't realize is on the list and get the points.

The payoff: coupled with other deals, found here & at mileageworkshop.com, I went to Europe for free the last two summers, am going again this summer, and am within a hair of having summer 2003 sewn up. I'm already 2/3 set for 2004, and continuing work for round-the-world with delta in 2005. I just hope I will be able to fit in the seats...

JP
Old Mar 2, 2002, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j379pa:
The real treat is when you do a restaurant that you don't realize is on the list and get the points.
</font>
That is the beauty of Idine. You can register up to 3 credit cards and can be eating in a member restaurant without even knowing it. It's like finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk.

Old Mar 2, 2002, 4:07 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the scribbler:

In NYC, I've noticed, flipping through the book, that a lot of the restaurants I would be interested in, do not offer rewards on Fri/Sat nights.

---------------------------------------------
Scribbler,
I'll be in NYC soon during the week - would you please list a few of the participating NCY restaurants that you recommend? Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:36 pm

SKYMILES DINING - Earn 500 bonus miles

Earn 500 bonus miles when you enroll online or set-up an online dining profile at skymiles.idine.com and dine one time before 7/31/02! Earn 10 miles for every dining dollar you spend at more than 7,500 participating SkyMiles Dining restaurants - and membership in SkyMiles Dining is absolutely free!

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email

[This message has been edited by UnofficialDLHelper (edited 07-15-2002).]
Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If only DL elites would get 500 bonus miles a month for their third iDine meal as AA elites do.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:46 pm

Is this for new member only? Also... do we have to sign up for the promo? Thanks!

jsy9999
Old Jul 16, 2002, 5:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:
Earn 500 bonus miles when you enroll online or set-up an online dining profile at skymiles.idine.com and dine one time before 7/31/02! Earn 10 miles for every dining dollar you spend at more than 7,500 participating SkyMiles Dining restaurants - and membership in SkyMiles Dining is absolutely free!

</font>
I see nothing on the web page at skymiles.idine.com that notes that there is a 500 mile bonus for signing up and dining before 7/31/02. Where is this bonus posted?

Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:30 pm

This was copied from an e-mail sent out by Delta. I was under the impression it was sent to everyone enrolled at delta.com to get promotional e-mails. I was also under the impression it was targeted for members not already enrolled in the SkyMiles Dining program.

Sorry I posted it. I'll pay closer attention to items in the future.

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email

[This message has been edited by UnofficialDLHelper (edited 07-16-2002).]
Old Oct 27, 2002, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Skymiles Dining... how much do they pay for miles?

I have been participating in the skymiles dining program by Idine for about a year now and love how easy it is to get those miles. However, I was curious how they can afford to buy all those miles for people??
I did notice they have a max of $600 at most restaurants and was just curious if those costs are split between them and the restaurant or what??

Anyone have a clue about how this all works???

I know I shouldn't care, just as long as I get the miles, but I am procrastinating reading for class tomorrow and just got some dinner, so it sparked my curiosity...
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Still sort of mysterious to me...but here's what I know so far...from the idine website:

Idine gives the restaurant a loan. The restaurant repays this loan through food and beverage credits.

My guess is that with interest, etc., the restaurant repays the loan through our credit card charges. So, for example, a $50000 loan may be paid back through $75000 of charges. The restaurant benefits from some new customers and long-term repayment terms. Idine keeps some of the difference as profit and buys airline miles with some as well. (I have no idea about the actual dollar amounts, but this is my guess as to how it happens...)

If anyone has more info/corrections, i'd love to know too!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 6:26 am

Programs: AA; United; Delta
Skymiles Dining - Crediting Problem?

I signed up in the Skymiles Dining for Miles program in late May. I have since received several emails from IDine stating that miles from various meals will be credited to my Skymiles account (my first email was over two weeks ago.)

However, no miles have been credited to my Skymiles account. Do they take longer to post than other airlines? I don't remember having this problem when my AA and NWA accounts were being credited.

I double checked my Skymiles account number. It is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.