Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Welcome to the Delta Forum Lounge thread! We are pleased to have you here!

You may call me Canarsie. I — along with obscure2k and RSSrsvp — are the hosts of this lounge. We are here to provide you with whatever assistance you may need. However, don’t be surprised if, more often than not, your fellow Lounge mates are just as helpful to you — if not more so — as are we.

Before entering the Lounge, please follow the recommended guidelines:
  • Content in mileposts pertaining to the discussion of controversial topics, such as politics and religion, will be subject to editing and/or deletion. Off-topic discussion is allowed in this thread, but remember — this is not the OMNI forum, so please do not treat this thread as such.
  • No milepost padding will be allowed at any time. Excessive mileposts are subject to deletion.
  • As with the other Delta forum threads, this thread is subject to the same guidelines, rules, terms and conditions governing FlyerTalk. While we do not like to do so unless absolutely necessary, your hosts, including I, will take action if deemed necessary.
  • Please try to respond to multiple mileposts at the same time by including the quotes in one milepost. This helps to reduce the incessant “bumping” of this thread and also may make this thread easier to read.
  • If a different Delta forum FlyerTalk thread starts to go off-topic, please continue the discussion in here. It may be helpful and convenient to others if links between threads are also provided — one in a milepost in the original thread with the words “Continued in the Delta Forum Lounge thread” linking to the pertinent milepost in this thread, and the other in this thread with the words “Continued from the (insert topic here) thread” linking to the pertinent milepost in the original thread. Reducing the humor and other off-topic discussion in the other threads will help in keeping those threads informative with valuable information for those Delta forum FlyerTalk members who are primarily looking for information.
We trust that Delta forum FlyerTalk members will use their good judgement, as they have done for the most part in the past, in ensuring that this thread remains civil, with a fun community spirit that may be shared by all.

This Lounge serves many purposes, with the main purpose dedicated to improving and strengthening the Delta forum community and its spirit, as did the now-defunct Unabashed Cholula Spam thread (may it rest in peace) — although the Lounge is intended to be much, much more than merely its replacement. For starters, the topic is broader, less restrictive, and much more general, which will allow for more participation by a greater number of Delta forum FlyerTalk members and for a greater number of topics to be discussed. Due to the name “Delta Forum Lounge”, it is easier by more Delta forum FlyerTalk members to identify and understand the purpose of this thread, so no one will feel left out from participating in the Lounge. It is also meant to relieve and reduce the off-topic discussion that in the past has been widely pervasive in other Delta forum threads, which will help in keeping the other threads remaining on topic, ultimately rendering the Delta forum as more valuable to a greater number of FlyerTalk members. The recommended purposes for this Lounge may be found here, followed by a general tour of the Lounge.

There is no cost to join the Lounge. Membership in the Delta Forum Lounge is included with your FlyerTalk membership and everyone is welcome. This is a place where one can take a break from discussing Delta Air Lines and its SkyMiles frequent flier program without having to leave the Delta forum, so come on in, kick off your shoes and relax for a while!
dealOCD, AStarr and Fly Fly Again like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 5, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Recommended Purposes

Please allow me to explain the proposed purposes for this Lounge, and then I will show you around.
  • If you are new to posting to the Delta forum:
    1. Please feel free to use this thread to introduce yourself and meet our members, as well as ask questions pertaining to posting on the Delta forum. You will find many of the Delta forum FlyerTalk members to be quite helpful, knowledgeable, informative, friendly, intelligent, patient, welcoming — and simply fun, so don’t be afraid or shy! You may use this thread to initiate yourself with becoming more comfortable with posting in the Delta forum, while simultaneously getting acquainted with the other Delta forum FlyerTalk members. After all, we want you to feel right at home here!
    2. If you have actual questions that relate to traveling or earning miles on Delta, we recommend that you please start your own topic after first doing a search on the subject or reply to an existing thread that is currently in the Delta forum.
  • If you are an established current Delta forum FlyerTalk member, welcome to your new home for “hanging out” with your fellow Delta forum FlyerTalk members. Just pop open a cold one and discuss almost anything that is on your mind.
  • If you are an established former Delta forum FlyerTalk member, please come back and post in this thread if you have the time. Your fellow Delta forum FlyerTalk members most likely miss you...
Sample topics that may be discussed in the Delta Forum Lounge include but are not limited to:
  • Anything that has to do with Delta Air Lines and the SkyMiles frequent flier program — especially topics that do not warrant launching a new thread or “bumping” an existing thread, no matter how ancillary or tenuous the connection. However, we recommend that valuable information pertaining to Delta Air Lines and the SkyMiles frequent flier program be posted in either a new or existing thread in the Delta forum so that it does not get lost or buried in this thread.
  • Weather-related topics.
  • Cholula hot sauce sightings and recipes, as well as comments and compliments about other condiments about which you relish discussing that can cut the mustard without requiring other Delta forum FlyerTalk members the need to spend a lot of time to ketchup with everybody else.
  • Humorous topics, such as the continuous and relentless escapades and exploits of a certain Delta forum FlyerTalk member and his tireless pursuit of acquiring some of the horde of the vast billions of SkyMiles of another certain Delta forum FlyerTalk member.
  • Requests for the whereabouts of a fellow Delta forum FlyerTalk member who has not posted in the Delta forum in a while.
  • Even discussion pertaining to concrete construction in Italy is allowed, although I will never understand how this topic became popular...
Please feel free to use this thread in any way you see fit, provided that you follow the recommended guidelines.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:54 am
Original Poster

General Tour of the Lounge

Well, now that we have gotten business out of the way, please allow me to show you around the Lounge...

Over there is where you will find the latest publications to read, as we have literally hundreds of them, including out-of-print books provided by obscure2k from her private collection. If you would rather watch some entertainment, we have a stage with some of the biggest names in show business, ready to perform just for you — LIVE! Ask and they will perform for you, whether it is comedy, music or drama. If you prefer the pre-recorded variety of entertainment, that entire wall over there is a state-of-the-art television screen, stocked with every television show, concert and movie from the last 90 years, all at your disposal.

If you look this way, you will find our complimentary food and beverages, available 24 hours per day, every day. We spared no expense: you will find truffles (both the mushroom and the chocolate varieties), Lobster Thermidor, Beef Wellington, Beluga caviar, shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, fresh-baked assorted breads and pastries, petit fours and other fine desserts, and other examples of some of the finest foods in the world on your left, most cooked to order exclusively for you by our team of executive chefs. On your right, you will find an endless selection of beverages, including the world’s finest wines, beers, cocktails, mixed drinks of every kind and soft drinks of every kind, as well as hot beverages of assorted coffees, teas and chocolates. Everything is available free of charge and you may consume as much as you like, but we regret to inform you that food and drinks cannot be taken out of this lounge, nor are there any exceptions to this rule. Still, none of us understand why nobody has yet to eat the food and drink the beverages...

We were going to spare no expense and install state-of-the-art computers in the Lounge, but since everyone that enters the Lounge is already using a computer, so we decided to save the money.

Over there, to your right through that doorway, you will find the most exclusive shower and lavatory facilities, with the softest linens, scented dripless candles, fragrant anti-bacterial soaps, a tanning facility, multiple shower heads with voice-activated customized temperature controls, and other amenities. They are always cleaned, and an exclusive personal attendant is provided to everyone who uses these facilities.

We appreciate your patronage in the Delta Forum Lounge. We look forward to seeing you stop by, as often as you like!
dealOCD likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:55 am
Original Poster

The Delta Forum Lounge thread is currently an experiment that is on a trial basis for 60 days starting from the date of the first milepost and is supported by the majority of FlyerTalk moderators and the TalkBoard president. It is an idea that, to my knowledge, has not been officially tried, so the guidelines posted above may change whenever necessary as this thread commences.

This thread is not only unique in the fact that, as a result of a vote, it was approved by a majority of the FlyerTalk moderators and the TalkBoard president to give this thread a trial period, but it was resolved that moderators of other FlyerTalk forums will also have the option of launching similar “Lounge” threads if they so choose. The vote and decision, which took place live and in-person in a meeting room, was personally witnessed by Randy Petersen. While there were some FlyerTalk moderators who rightfully had reservations about launching a thread such as this (and their concerns were absolutely justified), the discussion was quite pleasant, thoughtful, detailed and civil. In fact, many FlyerTalk moderators have generously donated a lot of their time and input into the Delta Forum Lounge project, and their contributions are greatly appreciated.

I am proud to belong to a team of open-minded FlyerTalk members who are incredibly dedicated to FlyerTalk, its community and its spirit. I thank them for the opportunity to launch the Delta Forum Lounge thread and to try out this idea.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Please enjoy!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Thank You

Ok I havent read the rules yet, and I will go back and do it but wanted to be the first to thank the moderators. THANKS GUYS
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
*putting down promised welcome mat* Canarsie, those showers scare me. Who is going to be responsible for keeping Dov from peeking on the girls???
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
To heck with whether or not Dov peeks at the girls.....it would just scare him anyway!

But I sure hope they have Jack Daniels in that bar!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please enjoy!

thats great news. ^

does this Delta Lounge need a Crown Room Club membership?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:43 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Modapa
To heck with whether or not Dov peeks at the girls.....it would just scare him anyway!

But I sure hope they have Jack Daniels in that bar!
LOL!!

I am sure there is. Canarsie knows better than to let the Jack or chocolates run low!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:49 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 8:51 am
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Second, I don't understand how the topic of concrete construction in Italy could be unpopular.
The construction site of which I posted photos has been dormant since June. Neighbors aren't sure why- one told me that the work rules required work only during hours which were inconvenient for the workers. Another thought there might be another lawsuit. Meantime, the scaffold sits there, blocking half the street. I'll be back there in November, I'll see how it's going. ...and I'm booked on DL this time, first DL coach across the pond in longer than I can remember, we'll see how it compares to AZ, AF and Mickey'sAir (aka NWA)

I know of another impressive Italian concrete job, I have photos , a large curving swimming pool. A neighbor sued because it was too big and too near the street. After 3 months the suit ended, the neighbor lost, work continued. Under Italian law, the neighbor then had to pay damages. (If you file a civil suit and lose, you pay the other person, unlike in the U.S.).

See, Canarsie, isn't this interesting?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:06 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
The construction site of which I posted photos has been dormant since June. Neighbors aren't sure why- one told me that the work rules required work only during hours which were inconvenient for the workers. Another thought there might be another lawsuit. Meantime, the scaffold sits there, blocking half the street. I'll be back there in November, I'll see how it's going. ...and I'm booked on DL this time, first DL coach across the pond in longer than I can remember, we'll see how it compares to AZ, AF and Mickey'sAir (aka NWA)

I know of another impressive Italian concrete job, I have photos , a large curving swimming pool. A neighbor sued because it was too big and too near the street. After 3 months the suit ended, the neighbor lost, work continued. Under Italian law, the neighbor then had to pay damages. (If you file a civil suit and lose, you pay the other person, unlike in the U.S.).

See, Canarsie, isn't this interesting?
We only want pics if they have the cute Italian construction workers in them *smile*
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I need to get in on the first page of this thread which, I'm sure, will soon be a FT legend!!
Thanks to Canarsie and the rest of the DL Mod's for setting up this Lounge.
Long may it live!!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks to the moderators for bringing this idea to fruition and a special thanks to Canarsie for the tour.

This lounge will be my favorite place to meet fellow travelers for a drink between flights (you really should reconsider your stance on this point indufan and Canarsie). I hope the bar will be well stocked with all the finest whisky's from around the world and the best microbrews from around the country, the selection of which could well become our first discussion. I nominate Kentucky Ale for a place on tap and Glenfiddach 18-year old single malt and Woodford Reserve for a special place on a glass shelf way up high. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.