Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zorak
I first watched City in the Sky when it was mentioned a while back on FT, I think on YouTube bootlegs off of the BBC original.

Later on I watched it again via PBS streaming, and noticed some differences, including entire scenes that were missing (and I think maybe some added, I forget). Interesting that there were production differences or adaptation for the US viewing market.

In any case, they were an interesting look into the behind the scenes stuff off air travel, and I definitely recommend it!
indeed ... exceptionally cool

and for those who have posts per page set to 40, we’re now on the countdown page to 100K posts

Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrl767
and for those who have posts per page set to 40, we’re now on the countdown page to 100K posts
I have it set to 15, so still a ways to go, but I've been keeping an eye out since we crossed 99,800
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
my LA gig is up as of today, but it looks like I’ll be in the DC area (Arlington/Pentagon) approx one week in three for the rest of the year (and — pending funding — likely thru Aug 2019)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

That "final countdown" song is now stuck in my head. Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
aaaaaand now in mine ... you’re welcome, I think
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I had forgotten about this but then did a double take earlier today when this thread was listed after a search for new posts and the posts column rounded up. For a moment I thought that I had missed the big event.

my LA gig is up as of today, but it looks like I’ll be in the DC area (Arlington/Pentagon) approx one week in three for the rest of the year (and — pending funding — likely thru Aug 2019)
Will you miss LA? Going to DC regularly sounds good to me.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I first watched City in the Sky when it was mentioned a while back on FT, I think on YouTube bootlegs off of the BBC original.

Later on I watched it again via PBS streaming, and noticed some differences, including entire scenes that were missing (and I think maybe some added, I forget). Interesting that there were production differences or adaptation for the US viewing market.

In any case, they were an interesting look into the behind the scenes stuff off air travel, and I definitely recommend it!
I caught part of this series when it first came out and I happened on it when channel surfing in some overseas hotel room, the same way I found the series called something like The Most Dangerous Place to Be a Pilot. Later I saw part of it when PBS broadcast the thing, but IMO it wasn't publicized very well, which is my excuse for missing a lot of the series.

RANT: Why is PBS (and the other media) so obsessed with Rebecca the Raccoon?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will you miss LA? Going to DC regularly sounds good to me.
“commuting” from Seattle on a rotation of 2 or 3 days every 2 to 3 weeks was VERY tolerable (generally fly to/from LAX, hotel in the South Bay area, work in El Segundo; enough time to occasionally meet up w friends and family); the project was so-so in terms of being a subcontractor where the prime had all the day-to-day interfaces with the USAF client, but I learned a lot about a part of the AF space enterprise where I didn’t have any prior knowledge or experience

by the same token, I’ll be engaging with a different group of Pentagon folks in the office I supported for my first few years with this company; technically intriguing as there will be more collaboration with Army and Navy staffs, and an opportunity to better understand system sustainment ... the non-technical challenge will be booking my preferred DL and AS flights via the corporate travel portal (Concur), and of course dealing with the vagaries of summer afternoon weather in the DC area and at the Delta hubs
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
He is wondering. I am much more sympathetic - can’t imagine how sick someone would have to be to force a plane to turn around.
Totally anecdotal, but returning to the gate for a sick PAX is no small thing. A cough (though sometimes unfortunately) isn’t enough of a reason.

My experience was witnessed from half way back the MD-88 so I couldn’t hear the actual conversations up in F. FAs did the PA announcement “Is there a doctor on board”, we held at the penalty box for a couple minutes before turning back. I felt really sorry for the guy. He must have passed out as it took the EMTs a while to get him up, and he had sweat through his clothes in multiple places. He was traveling by himself (no one got off with him), his seatmate must have been concerned.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Just wanted to pop in and say life is a beatch. Currently plane watching in StMaartens off a small boat. Snorkeling and also drinking beer. Last day of the cruise is tomorrow. DL upgrades for me and the wife all the way to DAY have come through. Then I promise, serious job hunting.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 16, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Just wanted to pop in and say life is a beatch. Currently plane watching in StMaartens off a small boat. Snorkeling and also drinking beer. Last day of the cruise is tomorrow. DL upgrades for me and the wife all the way to DAY have come through. Then I promise, serious job hunting.
Very nice and thanks for giving us an update. It's too bad that reality returns so soon.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:01 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gooselee
LOL, same here.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Very nice! Good luck once you return.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

100K posts is very cool. I was at the Mod Workshop in Chicago when Canarsie proposed the idea of the "Lounge." So, thanks to Canarsie for his prescience and thanks to all who have participated.
Obscure2k
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
100K posts is very cool. I was at the Mod Workshop in Chicago when Canarsie proposed the idea of the "Lounge." So, thanks to Canarsie for his prescience and thanks to all who have participated.
Obscure2k
Thank you Canarsie!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Obscure2k
I remember that moment 13 years ago.

I hope that I am able to post #100 ,000 here sometime this week...
synergistic likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I remember that moment 13 years ago.

I hope that I am able to post #100 ,000 here sometime this week...
I think we should all allow you that honor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.