Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Psyduck1
12:45 redeye SEA-MSP-MKE-Office. Why do I do this to myself?
that is just brutal.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
The direct leaves "only" 7 hours earlier - but you get to sleep in a bed!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:15 am

So we have a seven hour layover in Detroit on our return from London. Should we try to get out and go...somewhere? Chill in one of the lounges for hours?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my condolences

Originally Posted by Zorak
that is just brutal.
barely tolerable in F ... speaking as one who has taken that SEA-MSP flight at least a dozen times
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
my condolences

barely tolerable in F ... speaking as one who has taken that SEA-MSP flight at least a dozen times
That redeye is meant to torture. At least do SEA-DTW instead. An extra hour is always nice.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WWads
That redeye is meant to torture. At least do SEA-DTW instead. An extra hour is always nice.
let me clarify ... maybe half of those were flown as booked; the others were after taking a VDB off the pre-midnight ATL/DTW/JFK redeye

full disclosure: I've probably booked SEA-MSP-WAS as the least expensive G/A/P option at least that many times and then SDCd to the JFK flight
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
So glad that football is back. #WhoDey
So am I -especially as the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Patriots
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by trouble747
So we have a seven hour layover in Detroit on our return from London. Should we try to get out and go...somewhere? Chill in one of the lounges for hours?
I think there's a few factors in play that would affect my answer.
  1. Who is we? A couple? Family with young kids?
  2. What class are you flying?
  3. How much carry-on luggage will you have?

If the wife and I were flying J and checking most of our luggage, I'd probably leave the airport for a few hours. We both are usually able to catch a few hours of sleep on westbound TATL flights if we're up front (or upstairs ), so doing some sightseeing wouldn't be too exhausting. OTOH, if you're a family flying in Y, you might want to look into getting a dayroom at the Westin to give you some space to relax and let the kids run around a bit plus have access to your own bathroom for showers. For a couple flying Y, I might just go with the lounge and try to nap in one of the chairs.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
that is just brutal.
I'm alive, barely.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I think there's a few factors in play that would affect my answer.
  1. Who is we? A couple? Family with young kids?
  2. What class are you flying?
  3. How much carry-on luggage will you have?

If the wife and I were flying J and checking most of our luggage, I'd probably leave the airport for a few hours. We both are usually able to catch a few hours of sleep on westbound TATL flights if we're up front (or upstairs ), so doing some sightseeing wouldn't be too exhausting. OTOH, if you're a family flying in Y, you might want to look into getting a dayroom at the Westin to give you some space to relax and let the kids run around a bit plus have access to your own bathroom for showers. For a couple flying Y, I might just go with the lounge and try to nap in one of the chairs.
Thanks! Just my partner and I, each with a carry-on backpack, flying J.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
Thanks! Just my partner and I, each with a carry-on backpack, flying J.
I'd definitely check out the city then. I've never done it at DTW so can't give specific tips, but I have done so on international trips with similar length layovers at LAX, ORD, AMS, and MUC. If you get back to the airport earlier than you need to, you can grab a drink at the Westin and then use their security (or not an just head to the SkyClub).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
The problem with DTW, vs. the other cities, excepting LAX, that you mention, is that DTW has no rapid transit to downtown. You could, of course, rent a car, or take a taxi, depending on your budget. Another option would be to visit Greenfield Village in Dearborn, about half the distance to downtown. Well worth the visit.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I think I've located the supplier where DL gets the carpets for the Sky Priority lanes!

Name:  1505183007-picsay.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  155.9 KB
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel
The problem with DTW, vs. the other cities, excepting LAX, that you mention, is that DTW has no rapid transit to downtown. You could, of course, rent a car, or take a taxi, depending on your budget. Another option would be to visit Greenfield Village in Dearborn, about half the distance to downtown. Well worth the visit.
Good points. I should have clarified that I meant leave the airport and go somewhere, not necessarily downtown. For example, at MUC, since I'd been to Munich a few times, I took a bus from the airport to Freising where I checked out the town and then climbed the hill to Braustuerbel Weihenstephan and had a beer with a view.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Hi, Lounge-goers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.