Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
My wife enrolled in the challenge for GM. Does anyone know if PWM tickets are eligible for earning the MQMs needed to complete the challenge? I know that MQMs can be earned on PWM tickets now, but I am interested in this specific scenario.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
People who have the done challenge in the past have reported not getting bonus miles until meeting the challenge terms. There used to be some language in the terms to that effect, but they seem to have removed them since going to spend based miles. I wouldn't count on getting any bonus miles.
I'm in the middle of my challenge and my flights PHX-JFK-BOS-DTW-PHX I received bonus miles for my status. I'm 350 MQM short, which I have to make a quick trip to LA and to finish...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
I came to this forum to ask this question. I think you answered it. I matched to DL Silver through 12/25/17. I need to fly 8 segments to qualify for Silver through 2018. But if I fly the challenge requirements of 15 segments (Gold) or 25 segments (Platinum), it sounds like I will still remain at Silver for 2018. Do I read this correctly?
I believe so. The status challenge is "you matched to this, so this is what you have to do to keep that status after 3 months" not "here are the various status challenge thresholds you need to meet depending on which one you want". The only way to get higher status than the one you matched to is the traditional way.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techie
I believe so. The status challenge is "you matched to this, so this is what you have to do to keep that status after 3 months" not "here are the various status challenge thresholds you need to meet depending on which one you want". The only way to get higher status than the one you matched to is the traditional way.

This is answered in the FAQ's on delta.com --

"IF I WANT TO EXTEND MY STATUS BY MEETING THE FLIGHT REQUIREMENTS, CAN I EARN HIGHER THAN THE MEDALLION TIER I WAS MATCHED TO (FOR EXAMPLE, I WAS MATCHED TO GOLD BUT I WANT TO EXTEND IT AS PLATINUM)?You may only extend the same or lower Medallion Tier as the Tier you were originally matched to. For example, if you are matched to Gold Medallion Status, you will not be able to earn Platinum Medallion Status through this offer. However, if you fall short of meeting the Gold flight requirements during the 3 months but meet the Silver requirements you can enjoy extended Silver Status based on the dates listed."
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ

"IF I WANT TO EXTEND MY STATUS BY MEETING THE FLIGHT REQUIREMENTS, CAN I EARN HIGHER THAN THE MEDALLION TIER I WAS MATCHED TO (FOR EXAMPLE, I WAS MATCHED TO GOLD BUT I WANT TO EXTEND IT AS PLATINUM)?You may only extend the same or lower Medallion Tier as the Tier you were originally matched to. For example, if you are matched to Gold Medallion Status, you will not be able to earn Platinum Medallion Status through this offer. However, if you fall short of meeting the Gold flight requirements during the 3 months but meet the Silver requirements you can enjoy extended Silver Status based on the dates listed."
To be fair, that is f'd up. It is in Delta's interest to give people incentives to keep flying with them. Especially those who took just one month to meet Gold status match requirements but where there isn't enough time in the calendar year to earn Platinum even the traditional way.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
To be fair, that is f'd up. It is in Delta's interest to give people incentives to keep flying with them. Especially those who took just one month to meet Gold status match requirements but where there isn't enough time in the calendar year to earn Platinum even the traditional way.
Except for the fact that the whole idea of this is a status match. They are granting new patrons the chance to keep the status they have on their current airline while switching to Delta. This is not meant as a shortcut to higher status on Delta but as a match to your existing status somewhere else.

As it is, if you apply for the challenge after July 1 then you get to continue status earned in 2016 until the end of 2018 without having to fly or spend the full-year requirements in 2017.

Last edited by nycityny; Oct 9, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
Except for the fact that the whole idea of this is a status match. They are granting new patrons the chance to keep the status they have on their current airline while switching to Delta. This is not meant as a shortcut to higher status on Delta but as a match to your existing status somewhere else.
I get that, but what's my incentive to keep flying with Delta once I met my match requirements and I know I won't be able to qualify for the next tier the traditional way before year end? There is none, so I might as well either go for status matches with other airlines or choose based on what suits my schedule best.

It probably doesn't cost Delta that much to allow people to go for an even higher status and it encourages them to fly with them more the next year to re-qualify.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get that, but what's my incentive to keep flying with Delta once I met my match requirements and I know I won't be able to qualify for the next tier the traditional way before year end? There is none, so I might as well either go for status matches with other airlines or choose based on what suits my schedule best.

It probably doesn't cost Delta that much to allow people to go for an even higher status and it encourages them to fly with them more the next year to re-qualify.
The incentive is to make use of the benefits of the status level you have received. DL isn't really interested in status matching people who have no real intention of remaining loyal flyers. Giving a low level flyer Plat for flying a few trips would be a boon to serial status matchers to go from Silver in one program to Plat on DL, then Plat on another airline the next year, then Plat on another the third year, and so on via status matches all while flying very few flights. Sorry, DL isn't really interested in such gamers.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
The incentive is to make use of the benefits of the status level you have received. DL isn't really interested in status matching people who have no real intention of remaining loyal flyers. Giving a low level flyer Plat for flying a few trips would be a boon to serial status matchers to go from Silver in one program to Plat on DL, then Plat on another airline the next year, then Plat on another the third year, and so on via status matches all while flying very few flights. Sorry, DL isn't really interested in such gamers.
I have completed 39 segments in the past month and a half. If Delta does not count that as loyal, then maybe I should be looking elsewhere. The current rate does have me reaching Platinum the hard way, but it could be close.

After completing the status match requirements very quickly, Delta should have given me a status challenge to elevate to Plat. That way, I can prove that I am loyal given the right incentive.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I have completed 39 segments in the past month and a half. If Delta does not count that as loyal, then maybe I should be looking elsewhere.
Delta does count that as loyal. At the Silver Medallion level of 30+ MQS.

The current rate does have me reaching Platinum the hard way, but it could be close.
i.e. the normal way.

I do understand your situation and your view. And indeed, doesn't AA's match program let you initially match to Gold but then subsequently achieve Plat if you hit the requirements during the time period? I forget how official that is or if they just semi-routinely do it. In any case, there's precedent for other airlines doing it that way, sure.

However an alternate perspective (i.e. the airline's ) is that status matches are doing a favor to people whom they deem likely to achieve a certain level of status, by allowing them to enjoy that level of status before they have actually achieved it.

Speaking generally, if someone were likely to achieve Platinum status, they would already have the equivalent in another airline and hence be matched to it. The fact that you didn't currently hold it, again speaking in the general case and not with reference to your travel patterns, is sort of a first level indicator that they should maybe not extend that favor to people in your situation. Sure, they will potentially lose some people this way who would actually have gone on to achieve PM via challenge, but they will also filter out other people who only want to squeeze out temporary PM benefits and not reach it organically.

After completing the status match requirements very quickly, Delta should have given me a status challenge to elevate to Plat. That way, I can prove that I am loyal given the right incentive.
While I am again sympathetic (and my SPG Plat is the result of a challenge*) I'm sure you realize that this definition of "should" is self-serving Their response would be, you can prove your loyalty when you meet the Plat requirements.

*although that was earlier in the year, and I am now closing in on qualifying for SPG Plat outright as it is.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

ALL requirements (regardless of level) is 3 months, not 1.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ

This is not correct UNLESS they have a different Challenge, I matched to Gold, but I go as high as PLT it says it in my welcome e-mail.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have completed 39 segments in the past month and a half. If Delta does not count that as loyal, then maybe I should be looking elsewhere. The current rate does have me reaching Platinum the hard way, but it could be close.

But DL has no real way of knowing who is just using the match to just game the system or not. For everyone like you who actually intends on being loyal, there will likely a bunch of folks who don't or are just using the system to get Plat status on the cheap even though they are an infrequent flyer. It's grossly unfair to the Plat flyers who earn status the hard way via flying 75K MQM's or 100 MQS's and spending $9K plus. Most of us here could meet the Plat challenge requirement for $800 or less of spend (it's basically a single SIN or JNB run).

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 2017 at 5:27 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is not correct UNLESS they have a different Challenge, I matched to Gold, but I go as high as PLT it says it in my welcome e-mail.
What does the welcome email say specifically? The text I quoted can be found right in the Match Challenge page at the following URL which people go through to apply for the challenge.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
What does the welcome email say specifically? The text I quoted can be found right in the Match Challenge page at the following URL which people go through to apply for the challenge.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html
MQMS / MQSS NEEDED TO EXTEND STATUS PAST 3 MONTHS

Delta SkyMiles Medallion Status

Gold 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs
Platinum18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs

When I got home I looked at my e-mail and my notes I took when speaking to Skymiles CRS, and I was told that I can get as high as PLT if I did the following, in the 3 month period. I just booked 2 RT flights LAX-JFK which will put me over the top for PLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.