Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AdamNP
A question as I'm currently in the Platinum challenge. This less-than-clear statement is in the fine print.

Does this mean if you hit the 18,750MQM required beyond the 90 day mark that you still complete the challenge? I have travel booked that will fulfill the MQM requirement, but it won't be until about a month after my 90 day period ends. I've done enough flying for gold, so far.
No, you will not. The MQM's must be flown/earned during the 3 month challenge window. The text is likely referring to those who earn status via meeting the full requirements rather than the reduced requirements of the challenge program (although it is worded a bit oddly).

If you read the FAQ's, you will see that if you don't meet the required earn during the 3 month window, you will only be granted the lower status level corresponding to your level of earnings --

"You may only extend the same or lower Medallion Tier as the Tier you were originally matched to. For example, if you are matched to Gold Medallion Status, you will not be able to earn Platinum Medallion Status through this offer. However, if you fall short of meeting the Gold flight requirements during the 3 months but meet the Silver requirements you can enjoy extended Silver Status based on the dates listed."
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
1) Match approved and effective within 3 days of request. (AS 75K to PM)
2) Does my SM # need to be removed/replaced for the status to have effect in my current reservations? (Both for DL and AR, where I have existing reservations)
Bikeguy likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
1) Match approved and effective within 3 days of request. (AS 75K to PM)
2) Does my SM # need to be removed/replaced for the status to have effect in my current reservations? (Both for DL and AR, where I have existing reservations)
My existing reservations automatically updated when I did the match in July, including being added to the waitlist. As I recall it automatically added me to the fc waitlist but not comfort plus. Which is what I would have wanted anyway.
Eastbay1K and Bikeguy like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:17 pm

Could someone clarify which SkyTeam airlines are eligible to earn MQM for the challenge?

And will I have *any* benefits at all when flying those (in particular KLM and AirFrance) during the challenge period?

UA Platinum, thinking I'd like to try something else next year for once.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
Could someone clarify which SkyTeam airlines are eligible to earn MQM for the challenge?

And will I have *any* benefits at all when flying those (in particular KLM and AirFrance) during the challenge period?

UA Platinum, thinking I'd like to try something else next year for once.
yes, same inquiry here.

I am a AA Gold, now status matched to Delta Silver and I am taking a JFK-CDG-JFK next week on Air France metal (but that flight has a DAL flight # as well I believe).
Will I earn MQM on that trip valid towards the challenge?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The T&C's list no restrictions for partners or marketing carrier. As long as the flight earns MQM's, it should count towards the challenge. There's also no requirement that they are earned on a Skyteam carrier, it just has to be a "Skymiles partner" (so VS flights would count as well).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Having not flown DL for few years now, a little bit confused with the earning on partners. Asking here, as I am trying to complete a challenge.

If I fly on the partner airline [AF/KL marketed and operated] but the ticket is issued by DL on 006 stock, will I earn MQMs based on the distance as per AF/KL tables [as it states at the bottom of the table about not ticketed by DL]?

And what about RDMs - will they be based on the spend, or the distance?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Having not flown DL for few years now, a little bit confused with the earning on partners. Asking here, as I am trying to complete a challenge.

If I fly on the partner airline [AF/KL marketed and operated] but the ticket is issued by DL on 006 stock, will I earn MQMs based on the distance as per AF/KL tables [as it states at the bottom of the table about not ticketed by DL]?

And what about RDMs - will they be based on the spend, or the distance?
MQM's are always based on distance flown (not spend) and are always based on marketing carrier (operating and ticketing carriers don't matter). You just need to look at the marketing carrier for the flight and refer to the appropriate partner table.

If it's an 006 ticket, RDM's will always be based on ticket cost. Operating and marketing carrier do not matter. It's only when another carrier sells you a ticket that you need to look at the partner tables for RDM's. Note that KL 057 tickets now earn RDM's based on spend if it involves TATL flights operated by either DL or KL. For MQD's it's basically the same situation (except for the Group 4 carriers -- no MQD's earned even if it's a 006 ticket). If a partner issues the ticket, but includes DL-coded flights, those flights will earn RDM's/MQD's based on spend rather than mileage flown.

Note that if the operating carrier is not a Skyteam member, you will not earn any MQM's or miles (even if it is coded with a Skyteam carrier code).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 14, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
MQM's are always based on distance flown (not spend) and are always based on marketing carrier (operating and ticketing carriers don't matter). You just need to look at the marketing carrier for the flight and refer to the appropriate partner table.

If it's an 006 ticket, RDM's will always be based on ticket cost. Operating and marketing carrier do not matter. It's only when another carrier sells you a ticket that you need to look at the partner tables for RDM's. Note that KL 057 tickets now earn RDM's based on spend if it involves TATL flights operated by either DL or KL. For MQD's it's basically the same situation (except for the Group 4 carriers -- no MQD's earned even if it's a 006 ticket). If a partner issues the ticket, but includes DL-coded flights, those flights will earn RDM's/MQD's based on spend rather than mileage flown.

Note that if the operating carrier is not a Skyteam member, you will not earn any MQM's or miles (even if it is coded with a Skyteam carrier code).
Thank you @LBJ very helpful, especially the middle paragraph.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
What is unfortunate is that you cannot upscale to a higher status match/challenge upon completion of your original status match requirements. No incentive to keep flying if you won't have enough time left in the calendar year to achieve the next step the standard way.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott LtP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I met the requirements for my status match three months ago. Do I qualify for a welcome kit? I really would like those PM tags.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:26 am

Data Point

Requested a challenge on Tuesday, September 26 and received the e-mail confirming the match and challenge today Friday, Sept 29.

Quick turnaround!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by techie
What is unfortunate is that you cannot upscale to a higher status match/challenge upon completion of your original status match requirements. No incentive to keep flying if you won't have enough time left in the calendar year to achieve the next step the standard way.
I came to this forum to ask this question. I think you answered it. I matched to DL Silver through 12/25/17. I need to fly 8 segments to qualify for Silver through 2018. But if I fly the challenge requirements of 15 segments (Gold) or 25 segments (Platinum), it sounds like I will still remain at Silver for 2018. Do I read this correctly?

I am coming from AA Lifetime Gold, so there is some incentive to fly DL because 1.) I can pick an exit row seat in advance rather than the 24 hour window that AA allows. 2.) Upgrades, when available, are complimentary instead of dipping into a bank of "stickers", "chits", "500 milers", etc. My annual flying activity usually falls between 25-50K MQM's .
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LBJ
People who have the done challenge in the past have reported not getting bonus miles until meeting the challenge terms. There used to be some language in the terms to that effect, but they seem to have removed them since going to spend based miles. I wouldn't count on getting any bonus miles.
I'm on a Plat challenge right now and did not get any bonus miles on my first DL flight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by harvardkim
I met the requirements for my status match three months ago. Do I qualify for a welcome kit? I really would like those PM tags.
I got one when I reached Platinum on my status match.
harvardkim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.