Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EP
Has anyone had success in getting it backdated by a few days?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What happens if I match to DL Plat but only qualify for Gold within 90 days? Would love the Plat benefits but would rather have Gold for a year.

Is this part of the wiki accurate?

Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.

Because the opposite is currently reported on UpgradedPoints:

How do I earn a higher status than the matched status during the 90-day status match challenge?

Once you are approved for a status match challenge, you are granted temporary Medallion Elite status with Delta Air Lines. During the 90-day challenge period, you cannot qualify for any other elite status level besides the temporary status you were granted using the challenge requirements.

You can, however, meet the annual requirements for a higher elite status (versus the reduced 90-day challenge requirements) to reach a higher elite status.
https://upgradedpoints.com/delta-air...-status-match/
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Yes, that’s straight from the terms and conditions you get when the match/challenge is approved. As you hit the lower tier thresholds, you get emails letting you know you’ve earned those through Feb 2021.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
What happens if I match to DL Plat but only qualify for Gold within 90 days? Would love the Plat benefits but would rather have Gold for a year.

Is this part of the wiki accurate?

Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.

Because the opposite is currently reported on UpgradedPoints:

How do I earn a higher status than the matched status during the 90-day status match challenge?

Once you are approved for a status match challenge, you are granted temporary Medallion Elite status with Delta Air Lines. During the 90-day challenge period, you cannot qualify for any other elite status level besides the temporary status you were granted using the challenge requirements.

You can, however, meet the annual requirements for a higher elite status (versus the reduced 90-day challenge requirements) to reach a higher elite status.
https://upgradedpoints.com/delta-air...-status-match/
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:58 pm

Delta.com says you can extend to the lower medallion tier: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

If I want to extend my Status by meeting the requirements, can I earn higher than the Medallion Tier I was matched to (for example, I was matched to Gold but I want to extend it as Platinum)?
You may only extend the same or lower Medallion Tier as the Tier you were originally matched to. For example, if you are matched to Gold Medallion Status, you will not be able to earn Platinum Medallion Status through this offer. However, if you fall short of meeting the Gold requirements during the 3 months but meet the Silver requirements you can enjoy extended Silver Status based on the dates listed.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thanks, that makes sense - why would DL allow you to match (and challenge) to a higher status than what you currently hold with a competitor?

(I know that AA does paid challenges but those are a different animal)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Thanks, that makes sense - why would DL allow you to match (and challenge) to a higher status than what you currently hold with a competitor?
They don't, they have a chart for all the airlines and they've matched up all the statuses as they see as comparable
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA platinum
I applied July 1, got a rejection for incorrect supporting docs on July 13, and replied a few hours later with more documentation. No response to the consideration yet.

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Most of my experiences with twitter agents are like yours. Some are absolute angels. I dm'd in 8 days after I sent in my fax application to inquire whether they received it. Agent replied that she asked the Skymiles desk to review it right then and there. Received challenge and status in app 5 mins after
Today I received a similar twitter reply of you should have given it 6-8 weeks . I suppose the Twitter equivalent of HUCA is to start a new DM thread with Delta and hope you get a different person? I have a flight to Korea in a 5 days and would really love for that to count toward my platinum match. So I may pester them again on Friday if I have not heard anything to see if any magic happens.

Originally Posted by findark
DP: Applied June 30, approval email July 10 with confirmation on July 12. Account was updated on July 11 with the status and 90-day window.

I am reaching out to see if they will move it back to July 7 to include my flight, but if not oh well - will probably still make it.
I would love to hear if you get a positive response to this. If my reconsideration is not approved in time, I will be taking the same route and beg them to backdate the challenge. If I can get my Korea flight counted fully, then I will certainly achieve the challenge, but questionable if it does not.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Artmasterx
I applied July 1, got a rejection for incorrect supporting docs on July 13, and replied a few hours later with more documentation. No response to the consideration yet.

Today I received a similar twitter reply of you should have given it 6-8 weeks . I suppose the Twitter equivalent of HUCA is to start a new DM thread with Delta and hope you get a different person? I have a flight to Korea in a 5 days and would really love for that to count toward my platinum match. So I may pester them again on Friday if I have not heard anything to see if any magic happens.

I would love to hear if you get a positive response to this. If my reconsideration is not approved in time, I will be taking the same route and beg them to backdate the challenge. If I can get my Korea flight counted fully, then I will certainly achieve the challenge, but questionable if it does not.
This entire process seems to be much harder than it needs to be, not sure why Delta is making it so opaque. The site says verbatim "*Requests are typically reviewed within 5 business days, but please allow up to 2 weeks.". I can plan my application around this timeline, but I cannot plan my travel around unpublished random timelines. I waited until 7/1 and have also DM'd on Twitter asking to expedite, "TMS" said they could not do so and I should expect "3 to 4 weeks". This is twice as long as the timeframe offered on their site. I have an intl W trip leaving today and chose SkyTeam solely to match here from AA, and now that won't be possible. Very frustrating.

As to the "incorrect docs", where were you matching from? Earlier upthread I asked what is acceptable elite credentials since AA stopped giving physical luggage tags, so I sent a screenshot. If that ends up not working, I will probably give up since this entire SkyTeam trip will have been a waste.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by samm
This entire process seems to be much harder than it needs to be, not sure why Delta is making it so opaque. The site says verbatim "*Requests are typically reviewed within 5 business days, but please allow up to 2 weeks.". I can plan my application around this timeline, but I cannot plan my travel around unpublished random timelines. I waited until 7/1 and have also DM'd on Twitter asking to expedite, "TMS" said they could not do so and I should expect "3 to 4 weeks". This is twice as long as the timeframe offered on their site. I have an intl W trip leaving today and chose SkyTeam solely to match here from AA, and now that won't be possible. Very frustrating.

As to the "incorrect docs", where were you matching from? Earlier upthread I asked what is acceptable elite credentials since AA stopped giving physical luggage tags, so I sent a screenshot. If that ends up not working, I will probably give up since this entire SkyTeam trip will have been a waste.
Technically, mine response was within the 2-week window, at 12-13 days. But yeah, I thought I was giving myself a much bigger buffer by also assuming 5 days was still typical. I bet they get a lot of requests around the July 1 date due to status counting through 2020.

I am matching from United Platinum. I gave them a scan of the front and back of my physical membership card, and then a screen shot of my 2018 earning summary. I think the problem probably was than the earning summary gives your FF# as something like XXXX123 instead of showing the full number, so that was probably grounds for denial, even though it had my name and the name and last digits of the screenshot matched my membership card. (though they did not specifically say why it was denied).

I resubmitted with just about everything relevant I could print off the website. United doesn't seem to provide proper monthly or yearly statements anymore, so there is not a simple document that seems to hit what they ask for. But hopefully my resubmission will get reviewed and approved this week...

Once i get the platinum match and if it doesn't come in time, I will ask nicely for the Medallion desk if they can roll back the start (and end) date by the necessary amount to count my trip. Can't hurt but I would not be holding my breath.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by samm

Technically, mine response was within the 2-week window, at 12-13 days. But yeah, I thought I was giving myself a much bigger buffer by also assuming 5 days was still typical. I bet they get a lot of requests around the July 1 date due to status counting through 2020.

I am matching from United Platinum. I gave them a scan of the front and back of my physical membership card, and then a screen shot of my 2018 earning summary. I think the problem probably was than the earning summary gives your FF# as something like XXXX123 instead of showing the full number, so that was probably grounds for denial, even though it had my name and the name and last digits of the screenshot matched my membership card. (though they did not specifically say why it was denied).

I resubmitted with just about everything relevant I could print off the website. United doesn't seem to provide proper monthly or yearly statements anymore, so there is not a simple document that seems to hit what they ask for. But hopefully my resubmission will get reviewed and approved this week...

Once i get the platinum match and if it doesn't come in time, I will ask nicely for the Medallion desk if they can roll back the start (and end) date by the necessary amount to count my trip. Can't hurt but I would not be holding my breath.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:01 am

10 days in and have completed the challenge, obviously with the help from 5,000 bonus MQMs thru a AMEX Delta Platinum card offer that posted a couple days ago. Flying so far has only gotten me 8 segments and 7,772 MQMs, so the bonus 5,000 got me over the 12,500 MQM threshold. Maybe a good data point for others needing help with the MQM/MQS portion of the challenge. And I blew thru the MQD $1,500 threshold with $2,600 so far :

Congratulations on successfully completing the SkyMiles Medallion® Status Match Challenge and earning Gold Medallion Status!

If you registered for the offer between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019, your Gold Medallion Status will be maintained until January 31, 2020.

If you registered for the offer on or after July 1, 2019, your Gold Medallion Status will be maintained until January 31, 2021.

Experience the Medallion Difference with these Gold Medallion Benefits:

• Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades
• Complimentary Preferred Seats
• Delta Sky Priority® suite of services, featuring Priority Boarding, Priority Check-In and accelerated security lines at select airports
• SkyTeam® Elite Plus status when flying internationally on our SkyTeam partner airlines
• Same-day confirmed and standby fee waivers

And introducing our newest Medallion Benefit: Reclaim My Status. When life happens, we're here to help. Find out more.

Already enrolled in the Platinum Status Match Challenge? Continue flying to meet the Challenge requirements and maintain Platinum Medallion Status.

You'll find everything you need to know about the Medallion Program and your new benefits at delta.com/medallionprogram. Plus, your digital Medallion card will be available in the Fly Delta app for iPhone® and Android™.

Thank you again for participating in the Challenge and becoming a Member of the Medallion Program.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

Last edited by dmbolp; Jul 18, 2019 at 6:20 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dmbolp
10 days in and have completed the challenge, obviously with the help from 5,000 bonus MQMs thru a AMEX Delta Platinum card offer that posted a couple days ago. Flying so far has only gotten me 8 segments and 7,772 MQMs, so the bonus 5,000 got me over the 12,500 MQM threshold. Maybe a good data point for others needing help with the MQM/MQS portion of the challenge. And I blew thru the MQD $1,500 threshold with $2,600 so far
Wait, AMEX MQMs count?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:55 am

Wait, AMEX MQMs count?
+1, I was just going to ask that too...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:57 am

Wait, AMEX MQMs count?
Apparently, as I haven't reached the MQM or MQS thresholds without the 5,000 MQM AMEX BONUS
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Wait, AMEX MQMs count?
The "Show Additional Details and Terms" section clearly states they don't: "MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

​​So this seems like a glitch. If it sticks, congrats I guess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.