Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Isn't the 7/1 date the day they have to receive the challenge request in order for the status to extend to Jan 2021?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Isn't the 7/1 date the day they have to receive the challenge request in order for the status to extend to Jan 2021?
But the question is... do they have to receive it on 7/1 or after, or so long as it does not get approved until 7/1 what matters... b/c they are saying if you send it in today, it will not be approved until after 7/1...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by Juanefny

But the question is... do they have to receive it on 7/1 or after, or so long as it does not get approved until 7/1 what matters... b/c they are saying if you send it in today, it will not be approved until after 7/1...
i have reached out on Twitter and will report if I hear anything helpful back.

I asked about response time and they basically regurgitated the “5 business days but allow for up to 2 weeks” company line. A colleague of mine requested a match a week ago and it hasn’t been processed yet FWIW.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:40 am

Is it possible to complete the challenge by flying nothing but KLM and China Airlines?

I'm asking because the German-language terms and conditions make it sound as if only Delta and Delta connection flights count. (The German-language terms might be relevant for me as Germany is my country of residence.) I guess it could be nothing more than a slighly unelegant translation.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rdh0924
i have reached out on Twitter and will report if I hear anything helpful back.

I asked about response time and they basically regurgitated the “5 business days but allow for up to 2 weeks” company line. A colleague of mine requested a match a week ago and it hasn’t been processed yet FWIW.
Would definitely love to know. Absent anything I'm waiting until Monday morning to submit since getting it through the 2020 year is much more important than counting my July 7 flight
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nosedive
Is it possible to complete the challenge by flying nothing but KLM and China Airlines?

I'm asking because the German-language terms and conditions make it sound as if only Delta and Delta connection flights count. (The German-language terms might be relevant for me as Germany is my country of residence.) I guess it could be nothing more than a slighly unelegant translation.
In searching the past history of the thread, it seems like the change to start counting partner flight activity occurred in late 2016. Since it's DL, I do find it entire believable that they've simply forgotten to update the foreign translation of T&C to match.

While it's also vaguely conceivable they could have different T&C for non-US members, since the English T&C expicitly mention the MQD waiver for non-US members, personally I think you'd be safe doing the challenge flying only KL and CI. But that's just one person's opinion...
nosedive likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
While it's also vaguely conceivable they could have different T&C for non-US members, since the English T&C expicitly mention the MQD waiver for non-US members, personally I think you'd be safe doing the challenge flying only KL and CI.
Yeah, thanks. I agree the T&C are probably the same everywhere except for the US-specific MQD thingy. I think it's just a clumsy translation.

In any case, as I just went ahead and booked the flights necessary to meet the challenge, I will see what happens
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by findark
Would definitely love to know. Absent anything I'm waiting until Monday morning to submit since getting it through the 2020 year is much more important than counting my July 7 flight
I've found Delta's Twitter support to be extremely unhelpful. They gave me the standard, "Hi Ryan, If you enroll in the challenge on or after July 1, 2019, and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2021, provided you're eligible for the promotion."

Of course, this is pulled directly from the status match challenge terms and conditions.

I'm waiting until Monday just to be safe. I'm certain my July 8 flight won't count, but hoping by July 16 it'll kick in for my second weekly trip on Delta.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a general issue with most airline frontline staff who generally don't have a very deep knowledge of the status program workings. Generally, the people on FT are more knowledgeable than the agents as they have actual first hand experience. There are worse things than quoting off the webpage -- like just winging it and saying things that the customer wants to hear rather than providing factual information (which has been known to happen on numerous occasions).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
This is a general issue with most airline frontline staff who generally don't have a very deep knowledge of the status program workings. Generally, the people on FT are more knowledgeable than the agents as they have actual first hand experience. There are worse things than quoting off the webpage -- like just winging it and saying things that the customer wants to hear rather than providing factual information (which has been known to happen on numerous occasions).
Yes, that's fair. Although...if Delta's Twitter team told me I'd receive status through January 2021 if I applied today, I'd happily screenshot it and provide it to customer service if there were to be any issues haha.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rdh0924
I've found Delta's Twitter support to be extremely unhelpful. They gave me the standard, "Hi Ryan, If you enroll in the challenge on or after July 1, 2019, and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2021, provided you're eligible for the promotion."
Interesting. So it sounds like what I would have expected: it will default to whether your enrollment date is July 1 or later, and not get backdated to your submission date. But I wouldn't bet on it...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:55 am

I hope to have a data point shortly concerning the apply/enroll/award status before/after July 1st debate. On a whim (didn't know about the July 1 requirement) I enrolled online on TUE 6/25 being Southwest A-List Preferred, hoping to get immediate approval for 4 Delta segments flown 6/26-27, plus all future 2019 travel will be on Delta as I've already earned A-List Preferred and Companion Pass on Southwest thru 2020. I've only received the automated "Challenge Request Received" e-mail, nothing else yet. So now I'm hoping I don't get the enrollment confirmation until MON 7/1 in the event the 2020/2021 decision is driven by the "enrollment confirmation" date, not the "request received" date. Will update once I hear anything.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EP
Their Twitter support stated the date that matters is the date your challenge begins, not the date you submit the application. If anyone later has an issue with this and needs to fight Delta for whatever reason, feel free to use this screenshot.
findark and rdh0924 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
I'm confused by the first piece of documentation they're seeking. I am EP on AA, so a screenshot of my account activity would satisfy "current statement", but what is "current elite credential"..? I don't have any luggage tags, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samm
I'm confused by the first piece of documentation they're seeking. I am EP on AA, so a screenshot of my account activity would satisfy "current statement", but what is "current elite credential"..? I don't have any luggage tags, etc.
Membership card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.