FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/423426-delta-air-lines-elite-status-match-challenge-definitive-thread.html)

ThisDJ Jan 9, 2004 7:10 pm

From the Status Match Master thread over in Miles Buzz

Delta

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (mid-tier)

Send a copy of your current elite statement or elite card along with a note explaining you'd like to shift your busy to them if they'll match your current status to:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delta Skymiles Service Center
Attn: Elite Status Match
Via fax: 404-715-9220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edit] There are recent reports of Delta offering "challenges" in response to status match requests -- that is, fly x segments in y days for status.

v3 Jan 10, 2004 5:12 am

azoomee see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/009361.html in the Miles Buzz

Delta

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (mid-tier)

Send a copy of your current elite statement or elite card along with a note explaining you'd like to shift your busy to them if they'll match your current status to:

quote:
Delta Skymiles Service Center
Attn: Elite Status Match
Via fax: 404-715-9220

[Edit] There are recent reports of Delta offering "challenges" in response to status match requests -- that is, fly x segments in y days for status

------------------
Regards,

V3

jetsetter Jan 12, 2004 2:58 pm

I seem to remember reading that DL had a program where if you showed your other airline elite card at a CTO they would instantly match the status? Perhaps at the airport as well? Is this still going on? Also does the FTO/CTO agent just enter something in the computer to make the member status change, or do they merely just mail documentation to headquarters?

jimrpa Jan 12, 2004 6:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YogiBearUSA:
I am Plat Exec on AA flying 200,000 miles thi syear and 1k on UA flying 150,000 miles this year, all in Biz or First. I also flew Delta about 20,000 miles this year (all in biz). I asked them to comp me to the top level on their program and showed them the miles I fly (for the past 3 years) All they would do is comp me to Silver level which I found rather shortsighted. I wrote back to them in a very polite way explaining that I could not justify moving my business if that is all they valued my potential biz. I am guessing they costthemselves about $75-100,000 in business from me as I would have flown them about 150,000 miles in 2004 in Biz and first. Makes no sense to me but I guess thats delta.</font>
Actually, if all your travel is in Business or First (and I assume it's international to boot), two things come to mind:
1. Status won't really mean anything. You'll already be a paid passenger on the most expensive tickets they sell.
2. You'll earn status incredibly fast. One BusinessElite ticket ATL-CDG would get you about 18K MQMs.

I agree that DL should have started you off at a higher level than Silver, but I can't fault them for asking you to EARN their highest level, Platinum. After all, most of us had to earn it with Delta the hard way. If you choose to fly them and are talking about flying 100K+ real miles in Business/First each year, you'll be Platinum in a flash!

dspringer28 Feb 12, 2004 12:43 pm

Delta Status Match

I was trying to get DL to match my status from my eliet Status on AirTran, Frontier, UA and UsAirways and they told me if in 3 months I flew 6000 miles they would give me silver, if 12000 they would give me gold. My question is what fares work for this, does LTU count, what about skyteam or CO/NW. No one at Delta seems to know what is going on.

Dovster Feb 12, 2004 12:52 pm

I would IMAGINE that they are talking about MQM's, but that is only a guess.

Interesting thought: I am GM and have elite status with AirTran (which I got by being GM at Delta).

I will not earn GM in 2004, but will make SM. In the next three months I will fly 13966 miles and get 16060 MQM's. I wonder if I can use my AirTran elite card to convince Delta to give me the same GM challenge. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

BertBamboo Feb 12, 2004 3:57 pm

I think that is why they usually ask to see your annual activity from past statements.

jeffreyt Feb 12, 2004 4:32 pm

dspringer28, who did you talk to at DL and what did they call it? A challenge?

Based on what you've said here, it sounds like just miles. But I'd be more interested to know.

Beckles Feb 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Here's what I was sent by someone at Delta, though they have yet to officially respond to my two status comp requests over the past month and a half ...

09702-SM PROMOTIONS ELITE STATUS MATCH PAGE 16
12 PROMO NAME - 2004 OA ELITE MATCH CHALLENGE
13 VALIDITY - ROLLING 3 MO PERIOD BEGINNING THE MONTH
14 AFTER SNDG IN OAL ELITE CREDENTIALS
15 - 2004 TVL PERIODS ARE AS NOTED IN ACCNT
16 01JAN-31MAR..01FEB-30APR..01MAR-31MAY..
17 01APR-30JUN04
18 - ONE PARTICIPATION PERIOD PER YR PER MBR
19 DESCRIPTION - EARN FO/GM STATUS THRU 28FEB05
20 ELIGIBILITY - ELITE MBRS OF OAL PROGRAM
24 NOTE: EXCL CURRENT MEDLN AND IF PRIOR COMP MEDLN
25 - OFFER NOT TRANSFERABLE
26 HOW TO EARN - SUBMIT CPY OF CURRENT YEAR OA ELITE
27 CREDENTIALS TO SMSC VIA MAIL OR FAX
28 - FLY QUALIFYING DL CODED FLT WORLDWIDE
29 IN: H/Q/K/S/Y/B/M/P/F/A/C/J/I
30 - 6000 FLIGHT MILES EARNS FO STATUS
31 - 12000 FLIGHT MILES EARNS GM STATUS
32 L24 REMARKS - ENROLLED IN 04 ELITE MATCH JAN-MAR TRVL
33 - ENROLLED IN 04 ELITE MATCH FEB-APR TRVL
34 - ENROLLED IN 04 ELITE MATCH MAR-MAY TRVL ¥&gt;
35 - ENROLLED IN 04 ELITE MATCH APR-JUN TRVL
36 - UPDATED 2-3WKS AFT DL RCV OAL CREDENTIALS
37 MEDLN RWD - MDLN CREDENTIALS SNT 2-4WKS AFT QLFY FLT
38 ADVERTISED - LETTERS MAILED TO MBRS - TBA

dspringer28 Feb 12, 2004 6:44 pm

They called it "the delta challenge." When it says any DL coded flights, does that mean any flight with a delta flight number? Thanks for the help so far!

ragazzo Feb 13, 2004 5:00 pm

I have seen the Concierge on CO, in BusFirst Elite match other airlines. No challenge. Immediate Elite match.

Mikey likes it Mar 16, 2004 12:30 pm

Status match "challenge" question--do flown miles or MQM count?

I am on a status match challenge where if I fly 6,000 or 12,000 DL "miles" (per the wording of the letter) I will get Silver or Gold, respectively.

Does anyone know whether this refers to raw miles or MQM? I have been earning more MQM than miles b/c of the 750 MQM min. and wanted to ensure that I know when to expect Gold (if MQM it will be after my next trip).

TIA&gt; Mike

PS. I would ask DL directly but I do not have a Medallion service number and find that the general service number reps know nothing of the SkyMiles program.

Mikey likes it Apr 8, 2004 7:20 am

Anyone know?

SocREd11 Apr 8, 2004 9:04 am

Was this a targeted status match challenge or are you trying to get Delta to match your status on another airline?

I was dropped from Silver to nothing last month because of my reduction in work travel last year. However I'm already at 15K MQM's this year and wanted to see if I could get onto one of these challenges so I don't have to wait until I hit the magical 25K mark to get the Silver perks.

I traveled to Hawaii last week and it was painful to have to stand in line with all the non-medallion travelers while the medallion line was empty :(

Northern Willy Apr 8, 2004 10:23 am

I would think that it is MQMs.

Mikey likes it Apr 8, 2004 11:24 am

This is a requested status match.

I have now flown >14,000 EQM since the beginning of Feb, when the challenge began, but fewer than 12,000 actual miles, so I'll know on the next update cycle.

dspringer28 Apr 8, 2004 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
This is a requested status match.

I have now flown >14,000 EQM since the beginning of Feb, when the challenge began, but fewer than 12,000 actual miles, so I'll know on the next update cycle.

You know that LTU fares do not count either way, just wanted to make sure because this has tricked some.

Mikey likes it Apr 8, 2004 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
You know that LTU fares do not count either way, just wanted to make sure because this has tricked some.

None of these miles are on LTU fares.

Do you mean that LTU fares do not count toward status AT ALL? I thought they counted at a reduced rate, like half.

If they don't count at all, that sux.

Maybe that's why so many members of this board grouse about SkyMiles...

dspringer28 Apr 8, 2004 4:54 pm

None of these miles are on LTU fares.

Do you mean that LTU fares do not count toward status AT ALL? I thought they counted at a reduced rate, like half.

If they don't count at all, that sux.

Maybe that's why so many members of this board grouse about SkyMiles...

I ment that they do not count toward the challange, however they only count for 1/2 normally.

Mikey likes it Apr 8, 2004 4:57 pm

Just checked. All Qs and Hs.

I'll post after Sat night whether my status updated or not.

rcs85551 Apr 8, 2004 5:05 pm

Terms of the challenge

The terms are:

- booking classes K and higher
- 6000 flight miles (not MQMs) for Silver
- 120000 flight miles (not MQMs) for Gold :-:

davefr Apr 8, 2004 5:58 pm

How do you sign up for this pgm?

Mikey likes it Apr 8, 2004 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by rcs85551
The terms are:

- booking classes K and higher
- 6000 flight miles (not MQMs) for Silver
- 120000 flight miles (not MQMs) for Gold :-:

Y'know, my letter from Delta said nothing more than "fly 6,000 miles and receive Silver status. Fly 12,000 miles and receive Gold status.

No detail on booking class or indeed the type of miles.

In any case, to answer another question, I simply emailed Delta via delta.com and indicated that I am an American Platinum, and asked for a status match. After faxing in a copy of my card, I was put on this track.

PS. Are H and Q higher than K?

ak Apr 9, 2004 12:23 am

PS. Are H and Q higher than K?

Yes, they are.

Mikey likes it Apr 13, 2004 7:49 am

Well, not Gold yet. I am at 11,xxx "miles" and 14,xxx MQM.

I guess I need to fly another few hundred miles by the end of the month. Shouldn't be a problem.

Mikey likes it Apr 20, 2004 4:10 pm

After posting another 2,500 or so miles and 3,000 MQMs, I looked to be upgraded to Gold as of the ensuing weekend.

No dice. I emailed DL, and voila! A few hours later I showed Gold!

Now I've just got to figure out what that's worth....

vegdude May 25, 2004 8:30 am

Does Delta match status?

I'm an UAL 1Ker and I am thinking about switching to Delta, but I don't want to have to earn the status again in the middle of the year. Does anybody know if Delta will match other airlines' elite status?

Firstmate May 25, 2004 9:18 am

I am not sure, but thnk it has been discussed and asked many times. As I recall Delta maay match status up to and including Gold Medallion but not Platinnum. Maybe this has changed, but doubt

Spiff May 25, 2004 9:55 am

Originally Posted by vegdude
I'm an UAL 1Ker and I am thinking about switching to Delta, but I don't want to have to earn the status again in the middle of the year. Does anybody know if Delta will match other airlines' elite status?

May I ask why you, as a UA 1K, are considering switching to DL?

dspringer28 May 25, 2004 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Firstmate
I am not sure, but thnk it has been discussed and asked many times. As I recall Delta maay match status up to and including Gold Medallion but not Platinnum. Maybe this has changed, but doubt

Delta will not comp PM. Period.

As far as gold and silver, for the most part they are giving challanges:
In three months fly:
6000 miles- Silver
12000 miles- gold

No LTUs, seems like real miles, not MQMs

Call them and ask for it, then you will have to fax them you statement from UA and they will start the challange.

Mikey likes it May 25, 2004 2:32 pm

dspringer28's post parallels my experience. 12,000 actual flight miles (not MQM) in 3 mos to qualify for Gold.

NOTE: The challenge runs from the first day of the month AFTER you are "approved" for the challenge (based on DL's receipt of a copy of your existing status card). Budget two full weeks post faxing your credentials to receive your letter.

Example:

Flyer X faxes in his credentials on 10 Jan and receives his letter on 20 Jan. He flies on 12, 14, 18, 24 and 27 Jan. Unless he gets an exception, these flights DO NOT COUNT toward the challenge.

vegdude May 25, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks

Thank you all for the prompt replies. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that delta won't just simply comp the PM status. I guess I'll have to think twice before I book any more tickets on Delta. I hate to give up priority boarding, upgrades and premium lines, even if its just for a month.

To answer the question on why I am switching to delta. Delta has a better DEN-ATL schedule with higher frequencies than United. Also, the United flights I currently fly on are actually Mesa Air regional jets (UAX). Spending 3 hours inside a flying tin-can isn't fun.

indufan May 25, 2004 5:35 pm

Thank you all for the prompt replies. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that delta won't just simply comp the PM status. I guess I'll have to think twice before I book any more tickets on Delta. I hate to give up priority boarding, upgrades and premium lines, even if its just for a month.

Well, just because Delta won't give PM doesn't mean they wouldn't give Gold or Silver. All levels get priority boarding and premium lines, unless you are talking about security lines which only apply to PM and GM. Everyone gets unlimited upgrades but success rates vary widely depending on your status, your fare, and your market. I know a silver that has about a 75% upgrade rate mostly on LUT fares vs. we have heard stories of PMs here around 50% on K+ fares.

Delta3MM May 25, 2004 6:33 pm

A few points to consider...

I see your point: United has 5 flights per day, including two CR-7's which have first class.

Delta has 8 flights per day, 4 of which are M80's.

A couple of points to consider though:
1) If you do wind up on an United real jet, then you can sit in E+, delta has no equilivent. Frankly, Delta's coach product is unacceptable (IMHO).

2) You have the possibly of upgrading on all of the United flights, if you wish. United's CR7s HAVE first class!

3) Delta gives it's PM six WW upgrades per year, but only for Y, B or M fares - compare to United that upgrades all fares down to V internationally, and can upgrade C,D to F internationally.

4) No Region 1 upgrades on Delta - but unlimited 500 mile upgrades following a complex upgrade window based on time, status and fare paid. If you're PM traveling on a YBM fare you can upgrade at time of purchase. For some of the lowest fares, lower ranking members who paid more for their fares will get an upgrade before you.

5) If you do travel on full fares mostly, you will achieve status faster on Delta, as they credit you with as much as 200% miles counting toward status. But if you buy the cheapest fares you will have to fly 200% more miles on Delta than United to reach 1K/PM. You really get the same number of FF miles in any case, it just makes it easier or harder to get status.

6) Delta has many direct flight to Europe, and with Air France, pretty much blankets Europe. United has some presence in Europe, but covers Asia much better.

7) United's awards are generally for many fewer miles than Delta, because Delta receintly increased most of the mileage required. For example, the coach RT ticket in the US is still 25K on both airlines, but for example, first class to Hawaii is 60K on United and 75K on Delta.

8) Delta does not clear international upgrades less than 24 hours before departure. That is, if there are empty seats in BE and you have an upgrade certificate and you purchased a YBM fare in hopes of getting an upgrade and it did not clear a day before your flight then you are SOL.

9) Skyteam is just not as good an aliance as Star Aliance (IMHO).

10) Delta has a much better web site, and web tools. Delta's front line is usually as good as United is on a good day (Delta is better!). United's flight paging system blows Delta away (you have to sign up for each and every flight on Delta!). You can change seats on Delta, but United lets you look for international award seats online. United's web site goes haywire a lot!

Bottom line, for the reasons you give, it makes sense to fly Delta as they offer what you want. But these other points are made to make sure you don't think the grass is always greener in another pasture. It may look that way, but ....

indufan May 25, 2004 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
For some of the lowest fares, lower ranking members who paid more for their fares will get an upgrade before you.

This is only true if the upgrades do not clear in advance and you have to play the gate lottery.

dspringer28 May 25, 2004 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
This is only true if the upgrades do not clear in advance and you have to play the gate lottery.

Silver on YBM vs. Gold on LTU?

jfulcher May 26, 2004 5:54 am

I don't think that's unreasonable that Everyone else on H,Q,K,Y,B,M can clear before anyone on a L,U, or T. DL used to not even allow upgrades on these fares. If I'm booking a Y, B, or M, I should surely clear before even a PM with a L,U, or T. Sometimes you guys are such BALs about such petty stuff. While # of miles flown should make a difference (and it does), there has to be some point that you recognize who is paying a lot more for the ticket.

Delta3MM May 26, 2004 12:58 pm

I think you're right - that's an entirely reasonable way to run an airline and if all airlines were the same offering no choice, then that would be the way it is.

However, the original poster and I are both 1K on United. United takes priority of UGS/1K/Gold/Silver and not higher paid fares for order of upgrades. United also lets me upgrade any fare domestically AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE and all but the two least expensive international fares AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. They will also waitlist and upgrade you less than 24 hours before a flight if they have seats available.

I don't particularly like playing the lottery (after all, it is a tax on the mathematically challenged) and as long as I have a choice I know the one I'm going to make. If I got some of the details wrong, please correct me and I will correct my post.

I’m not saying Delta should change. I just want to point out the obvious differences to someone who might not know the two programs as well as I do.

Billy

Spiff May 26, 2004 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I don't think that's unreasonable that Everyone else on H,Q,K,Y,B,M can clear before anyone on a L,U, or T. DL used to not even allow upgrades on these fares. If I'm booking a Y, B, or M, I should surely clear before even a PM with a L,U, or T. Sometimes you guys are such BALs about such petty stuff. While # of miles flown should make a difference (and it does), there has to be some point that you recognize who is paying a lot more for the ticket.

I think it's completely unreasonable. Such a policy disregards the loyalty of someone who flies 2x as often, minimum. I am pleased that AA/US/UA do not discriminate on the basis of fare when it comes to upgrades!!!

Mountain Trader May 26, 2004 5:01 pm

I'm a lower level UA status holder. Earlier this year, I asked Delta to comp me first stage status so I could priority waitlist on several overseas flights. I explained that most of my travel is overseas, but often in business.

They offered a challenge which was unresponsive to the details of my request. I have since booked two Int'l trips on UA in Business Class.

With Delta international flights taking off with some seats earning no revenue (including even empty seats), you'd think there would be a better way.