Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I'm guessing that in December someone looked at the fast turnarounds in December and said "obviously X people are too many to handle this. Let's just leave one person to do this on alternate Wednesdays instead".

There seems to be some success in backdating the start of the challenge, though...

Originally Posted by brooklynflyer
I submitted on Feb 7 and still no reply. Had been hopeful that I would get matched within a day or two after having read about people's experiences in December. Can't imagine that in 2 months it's gone from often same-day approvals to waiting over 2 weeks. I've already missed having one RT TATL count towards the challenge because of my (wrong) assumptions. It's not an auspicious start to my relationship with Delta to have to wait 2 weeks for what seems like a simple request. Kinda like waiting for Godot at this point...
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by brooklynflyer
I submitted on Feb 7 and still no reply. Had been hopeful that I would get matched within a day or two after having read about people's experiences in December. Can't imagine that in 2 months it's gone from often same-day approvals to waiting over 2 weeks. I've already missed having one RT TATL count towards the challenge because of my (wrong) assumptions. It's not an auspicious start to my relationship with Delta to have to wait 2 weeks for what seems like a simple request. Kinda like waiting for Godot at this point...
Yeah, I submitted on Feb 4, and got the email yesterday, challenge started today. A friend of mine who's on the same flight on Feb 24 submitted his on Feb 10... Highly unlikely it's going to happen in time.
I simply don't understand how can it take so long... How many requests are realistically received every day? 20 maybe?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mothra
I received the Status Match Challenge welcome email 11/11/19. Due to scheduling conflicts, I realized I would not be able to complete the challenge and all but gave up on it. Then on 02/02/20 I received another welcome email. Exact same wording. Exact same T&C's.

My question is: did I glitch into a second chance? Or is this just a reminder email? I've had complimentary Platinum status since the first welcome email so I can't chalk it up to some extended delay.

I've scoured through this thread but didn't manage to find anything about a duplicate email or challenge extension. I don't want to call CS in case it is a glitch. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any information.

I'm a long time lurker but I truly appreciate this community. I hope to be able to have something to contribute. Thanks!
As a data point: my status reverted after I was unable to complete the challenge. The second email was a glitch.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm thinking your second email was because your status was aligned with the typical status year (ending 1/31/XX) and then you were still in the status match challenge until 2/12 - when it subsequently expired if not met. Mine was similar to yours - status matched 11/14/19. On 2/1, I got the same 'status match welcome' but my expiry was always going to be 2/14/20 if I didn't meet it. Fortunately, I exceeded on 2/8 and got the Welcome to Plat through 1/2021 email the next morning.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K
I submitted my status match request for Platinum (Currently UA 1K) on Feb 18th. Hope it gets approved before my March 6th international Delta One trip.

Does anyone know if we also get a "Choice Benefit" if you complete the status challenge?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The wiki states:

During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
Although it could have been a glitch, my experience this week flying Middle East Airlines from Beirut to Paris doesn't align with the above. At check-in, my SkyTeam Elite Plus/Platinum Medallion status was not recognized. It took 20 minutes and two supervisors to override the computer to allow me a higher baggage allowance and lounge access.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rchiruma
I submitted my status match request for Platinum (Currently UA 1K) on Feb 18th. Hope it gets approved before my March 6th international Delta One trip.

Does anyone know if we also get a "Choice Benefit" if you complete the status challenge?
Former UA 1K here, too. One data point, but yes. After I got the "Welcome to Platinum" email, I got the "Choice Benefit Selection" email (maybe 2-3 days after) and was able to select the benefit I wanted. Which was subsequently confirmed the next morning.
rchiruma likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold

Yes, you get the Choice Benefit after completing the challenge. I completed mine in January and was able to select the 4 upgrade certificates. I've already successfully used one of them.
rchiruma likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
Yes, you get the Choice Benefit after completing the challenge. I completed mine in January and was able to select the 4 upgrade certificates. I've already successfully used one of them.
Nice. Thank You
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:19 pm

So I got a status match through my employer, which has slightly different conditions than the usual one: Six month status match, and MQM / MQS / MQD requirements to keep status are also doubled. Unfortunately our internal communication is less than stellar, and that latter part was not communicated to me by our travel department. Rather, they made it sound like it would be the usual status match just with a longer validity. I tried asking for the exact terms and conditions, but they never got back to me on that. I only found out about the increased MQM requirements when calling Delta after getting the status. The problem is that I likely won't be able to make the doubled MQM requirement in the next six months. I could make the usual MQMs, or I could make the doubled MQMs later in the year.

I know Delta usually don't change or extend the status match, but does anyone here have a feeling as to whether they might make an exception in these circumstances, since I never saw these conditions beforehand? I'd be happy for them to postpone the challenge, or cancel it entirely so I can apply again later. And would it be better to call Delta about this, or talk to my travel department?

Last edited by mb752; Feb 23, 2020 at 8:18 pm Reason: Rephrasing
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:55 am

Did you get approved yet? Submitted today for a last minute trip I have to take on Friday. Looking to switch to DL from AA anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
Did you get approved yet? Submitted today for a last minute trip I have to take on Friday. Looking to switch to DL from AA anyway.
Nope, no response yet. I am guessing it takes every bit of two weeks.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:42 am

Nope, no response yet. I am guessing it takes every bit of two weeks.
Ugh. The Delta submission page says one day and takes two weeks. The UA submission page says 7-14 days but I submitted with UA yesterday and already got approved.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:32 am

Applied for status match to Silver (from United) on feb-26. Flying in April, should be enough time to get accepted right?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
I applied on Feb 18 and have yet to hear back - it's been more than 2 weeks. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.