Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
13+ days as of July 18th 2019
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 31, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chenalex View Post
I'm tryign to figure out if I'm eligible for a status match. I asked Delta's twitter account and they repeated what the challenge rules said about the 3-year rule. I applied for a status match back in June 2017. On the morning I was approved, but before I started the challenge, I asked to withdraw and they granted it. So does the fact that they approved my 2017 request count as a status match, so I wouldn't be eligible for the status challenge for this year, even if I canceled without taking a flight? Or am I eligible?
i applied for the status challenge and have been told I’m ineligible because the 3-year rule. Currently explaining myself on Twitter. Is the “contact-us” email address that they used to send the rejection a real email address? If Twitter doesn’t work out I’llprob try emailing next.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by happyalu View Post
I thought the status challenge would match UA Gold to DL Gold status. That's also what the wiki post at the top says, and what I recollect from the delta website a few days ago.

But looking at the status challenge page today, it seems UA Silver will be matched to GM and UA Gold and above to PM. Is this a new change? Perhaps in response to mileageplus changes?
Interesting, and plausible. You'd think they would promote it if so -- maybe they'll take out ads near UA gates in airports
Old Oct 31, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by happyalu View Post
I thought the status challenge would match UA Gold to DL Gold status. That's also what the wiki post at the top says, and what I recollect from the delta website a few days ago.

But looking at the status challenge page today, it seems UA Silver will be matched to GM and UA Gold and above to PM. Is this a new change? Perhaps in response to mileageplus changes?
This makes it more difficult for United Silvers to match to Delta. Now they have to meet the Gold challenge of 12,500 MQMs/$1,500 MQDs in order to match at all. 6,250 MQMs/$750 MQDs won't allow them to match. This is Delta saying that they don't want United's low-level elites. I suppose a United Gold can attempt the Delta Platinum challenge but if they only fly at Gold levels in 90 days they should be matched to Gold. So this gives them an opportunity for Platinum but doesn't force it on them.

Last edited by nycityny; Oct 31, 19 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 31, 19, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
This makes it more difficult for United Silvers to match to Delta. Now they have to meet the Gold challenge of 12,500 MQMs/$1,500 MQDs in order to match at all. 6,250 MQMs/$750 MQDs won't allow them to match. This is Delta saying that they don't want United's low-level elites. I suppose a United Gold can attempt the Delta Platinum challenge but if they only fly at Gold levels in 90 days they should be matched to Gold. So this gives them an opportunity for Platinum but doesn't force it on them.
Good point, I was thinking about it as poaching disgruntled UA flyers like "we'll match you to higher status than you have now" and not about how it would be harder to achieve. Maybe they've seen an uptick since UA announced their changes.

Although, 12,500 MQMs and $1500 MQDs over 3 months is the same as the GM requirements prorated over 3 months, so...
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:09 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
This makes it more difficult for United Silvers to match to Delta. Now they have to meet the Gold challenge of 12,500 MQMs/$1,500 MQDs in order to match at all. 6,250 MQMs/$750 MQDs won't allow them to match. This is Delta saying that they don't want United's low-level elites.
Where do you see that? The way I read it, Delta’s saying that a United Silver Elite will receive three months complimentary Gold Medallion status, but the following text still seems to apply:

Originally Posted by Delta Air Lines
You may only extend the same or lower Medallion Tier as the Tier you were originally matched to. For example, if you are matched to Gold Medallion Status, you will not be able to earn Platinum Medallion Status through this offer. However, if you fall short of meeting the Gold requirements during the 3 months but meet the Silver requirements you can enjoy extended Silver Status based on the dates listed.

I’m a United Gold Elite planning to apply for a match in mid-December for flights I’m planning to take in January and February. I’ve selected, but not yet purchased, flights that will give me over 19,000 MQM but just over the 1,500 MQD needed to complete the ‘Gold’ match. This policy change has me wondering if it’s worth figuring out a way to spend extra $$$ on those flights to retain Platinum beyond the three month challenge period.
Old Nov 1, 19, 8:58 am
8mh

This makes it more difficult for United Silvers to match to Delta.
No, it doesn't.

If a UA Silver is offered the Gold challenge, he will still have the option to complete the Silver challenge. And that remains exactly as difficult as before.

But he will also be afforded to make Gold or even Plat by flying more during the 3-months status challenge period.

It will obv make Gold easier for UA Silvers. Previously, if they wanted to make DL Gold, they had to do it the hard way (50k MQM etc.). Now, another option is the challenge (just 12.5k MQM etc.)

EDIT: And there's also the 3-months match period the previous poster mentioned.
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex View Post
i applied for the status challenge and have been told I’m ineligible because the 3-year rule. Currently explaining myself on Twitter. Is the “contact-us” email address that they used to send the rejection a real email address? If Twitter doesn’t work out I’llprob try emailing next.
After a long wait, I had resigned myself with not getting accepted to the challenge this year. I emailed them 4 days ago. But then this afternoon, I got an email saying I was approved! And my status was upgraded just now.

only issue is, I’ve already taken two of the flights that I had calculated would count towards the challenge. Do you think they’ll backdate the challenge to start on 11/1? When they originally rejected me?

also, will I have benefits of the VA lounge for an upcoming flight?

Last edited by chenalex; Nov 5, 19 at 11:52 pm
Old Nov 6, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
I asked a match and am doing a challenge, but I am not sure if my flight booked on Delta but operated on Westjet is going to increase the MQM/MQS/MQD. I don't see the credit so far. If Westjet doesn't count at all, even when I book through Delta, that's a different story for me.
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I asked a match and am doing a challenge, but I am not sure if my flight booked on Delta but operated on Westjet is going to increase the MQM/MQS/MQD. I don't see the credit so far. If Westjet doesn't count at all, even when I book through Delta, that's a different story for me.
You say "booked", have you "flown"?
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
You say "booked", have you "flown"?
Yes, sorry, I flew already the R/T and am now back at my home airport. The first leg was bought on Delta and flown on Delta, and it showed up. The return leg was bought on Delta and flown on Westjet, and that was yesterday. Nothing credited, but I was wondering if that's a lag issue, or if Westjet doesn't credit at all even when bought with Delta.
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, sorry, I flew already the R/T and am now back at my home airport. The first leg was bought on Delta and flown on Delta, and it showed up. The return leg was bought on Delta and flown on Westjet, and that was yesterday. Nothing credited, but I was wondering if that's a lag issue, or if Westjet doesn't credit at all even when bought with Delta.
It doesn't matter whether you purchase the ticket through Delta or Westjet, or who the flight was operated by; for crediting purposes all that matters is whether the flight number was DLxxxx, in which case you will earn according to the regular DL rules, or if it was WSxxxx, in which case it will earn according to the partner table:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

(Westjet is at the bottom -- click on "MILEAGE EARN ON/AFTER SEP. 20 2018" to pop open the table)

Do the flights show up in your SkyMiles Activity at all, even with 0s posted? If so what does the "Reason" code say?
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
It doesn't matter whether you purchase the ticket through Delta or Westjet, or who the flight was operated by; for crediting purposes all that matters is whether the flight number was DLxxxx, in which case you will earn according to the regular DL rules, or if it was WSxxxx, in which case it will earn according to the partner table:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

(Westjet is at the bottom -- click on "MILEAGE EARN ON/AFTER SEP. 20 2018" to pop open the table)

Do the flights show up in your SkyMiles Activity at all, even with 0s posted? If so what does the "Reason" code say?
No nothing in the activity yet. I had a DL flight number when I booked (it was coded as DL7148) but when I tried to check in, Delta pushed me to Westjet. However I think my "mistake" was that I asked to be on an earlier flight and I asked Westjet to move me up, and maybe that created the whole "problem". Oh well, I am not going to fight over a stupid flight if that's the case.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:33 pm

Can someone confirm if flights booked before the status match but flown after will count towards it? I have some flights to book for December, but don't want to submit the status much for another few weeks as I need until end of Feb to meet the mark. If I book these now and add my SkyMiles number and get approved for the status match by December 1, is it safe to assume these flights will be counted regularly as long as they are flown after 12/1? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:56 pm

Yes for me, flights booked in June for July travel, approved for challenge in early July, counted towards the challenge
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:13 am

No nothing in the activity yet. I had a DL flight number when I booked (it was coded as DL7148) but when I tried to check in, Delta pushed me to Westjet. However I think my "mistake" was that I asked to be on an earlier flight and I asked Westjet to move me up, and maybe that created the whole "problem". Oh well, I am not going to fight over a stupid flight if that's the case.
There was a 3 day lag before my VA flight showed up on DL and then another 3 days before the miles posted. So I would say there’s a lag.

Search this Thread