Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Zorak
I suspect it's telling you how far you have to hit Silver because that's what you need to earn Silver for next year. The fact that you're Gold right now is a separate matter (you only just started the challenge, haven't completed it yet, correct?). i.e. at the beginning of the year my tracker told me how much I needed to earn Silver for 2020 even though I am DM for 2019.

If as theorized above, status matches are treated the same as gifted status for rollover purposes, you rollover above whatever level you achieve organically (regardless of what level you matched to).

So if you don't hit the normal Silver MQDs of $3k you will not rollover *any* MQMs. If you hit between $3000 and $5999 MQDs you'll rollover anything above 25k. If you hit $6000-8999 you will only rollover anything above 50k. And so on.

However I reiterate again that this is somewhat speculative since the site is not totally clear.
I'll just type what I'm seeing in my SkyMiles summary. I currently see that I'm Gold Status and the 3 month period that it'll be active for. No, I haven't completed the status match challenge yet, but I will before the end of November with my trans-pacific flight with MU.

Under "2020 Status: FEB 01 2020 — JAN 31 2021", I see that I currently have 9803 MQM and I need another 15197 MQM to hit silver.

Just to be clear, that means all flights from now and until January 31, 2020 will not count towards 2020 status?

As for MQD, I already have a MQD waiver so that won't be an issue going forward.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lsquare
Under "2020 Status: FEB 01 2020 — JAN 31 2021", I see that I currently have 9803 MQM and I need another 15197 MQM to hit silver.

Just to be clear, that means all flights from now and until January 31, 2020 will not count towards 2020 status?
Flights between now and 31 Dec 2019 will count towards 2020 status once they're actually flown. The status tracker does not include flights you have booked but which haven't taken place yet.

On January 1, 2020 everything resets to zero and you start earning towards 2021 status.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I searched this thread and didn't find what I was looking for. Looking to match from Alaska MVPG and I was wondering what Delta accepts as a statement? Alaska doesn't really produce statements except for a monthly email with status and miles flown to date. But its not itemized trips. That is something I can pull from the activity page on my account. What have folks used to demonstrate their status from Alaska? Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
I searched this thread and didn't find what I was looking for. Looking to match from Alaska MVPG and I was wondering what Delta accepts as a statement? Alaska doesn't really produce statements except for a monthly email with status and miles flown to date. But its not itemized trips. That is something I can pull from the activity page on my account. What have folks used to demonstrate their status from Alaska? Thanks!
I used a screenshot of the Overview & Elite Status Page (showing MVPG) plus a sewn together image of several screenshots from the Mileage Activity pages for the past 12 months.
williwaw likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:27 pm

Sorry if I missed this in the 2600+ posts, but if a flight is booked via a different SkyTeam airline (AF for example) will it earn MQM towards the challenge? I ask because I have seen claims that flights on other airlines are only qualified for the challenge if there is a DL code share. Has anyone booked a flight with a different SkyTeam airline and had its MQM counted towards the challenge? Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ramzi
Sorry if I missed this in the 2600+ posts, but if a flight is booked via a different SkyTeam airline (AF for example) will it earn MQM towards the challenge?
The answer can be found in the wiki at the top of the thread, as well as the FAQ on the DL web page about status matches:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge

What flights can I earn MQMs, MQSs or MQDs on for this challenge?

MQMs, MQSs and MQDs earned on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights will count towards this challenge. MQMs, MQSs and MQDs may also be earned on partner airline flights that are eligible to earn MQMs, MQSs and MQDs.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
The answer can be found in the wiki at the top of the thread, as well as the FAQ on the DL web page about status matches:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge
Thank you, just spotted it on the website too. I'm rather impressed with the level of detail they have on there.
Zorak likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
So....I'm on a Silver Status match and have been upgraded to First on my YYZ-ATL flight tomorrow. Small victories
lsquare, DrAlex and HiAperture like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flying chef
So....I'm on a Silver Status match and have been upgraded to First on my YYZ-ATL flight tomorrow. Small victories
Lucky you. I think I would be more impressed if this was an intercontinental flight.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am another United Gold Elite who will be switching to Delta in 2020 and seeking a status match/challenge in the near future.

I was approved for the AMEX Delta Reserve card on October 17. It is my understanding that I have three months to put $5,000 spend on the card for the signup bonus of 75,000 SkyMiles and 10,000 MQM. I intend to carefully mnitor my spend on this card for the remainder of 2019 to stay under $5,000 aggregate since I don't want the MQM bonus to post in 2019, it being my understanding that the "rollover" MQMs are only available to members with at least Silver Medallion status. I'll stop spending at around $4,800 and plan to purchase something early in January to go over the $5K mark so the bonus MQM will count for 2020

I intend to book Delta flights in January and late February / early March to fulfill the conditions of the Gold status challenge (i.e., 12,500 MQM and $1,500 spend in 90 days). I'm planning to take my first Delta flight on January 7 and the final itinerary should be completed by March 6. Given the timing of those trips and the information presented in this thread, I plan to submit my application for a status match to Delta on December 10, 2019. I've seen reports of approval ranging from hours to three weeks, which puts my status match start date anywhere from December 11, 2019 to January 1, 2020 and the end date anywhere from March 10 to March 30.

Am I cutting this too close?

I'd also appreciate some more detailed information from recent United refugees to Delta on exactly what information you pulled from the website / app to submit for the status match. I haven't had a physical MileagePlus card for several years and from what I can tell the 'virtual' card is now only available on the app. I guess I'll have to take a screenshot of that. My other problem is finding a list of qualifying flights on the website that also has my name on it. I see something like that on the app, but that would require multiple screenshots and some 'stictching' together to create something intelligible. Is there somplace I'm not looking?

Any assistance / recommendations are appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kale73
I intend to book Delta flights in January and late February / early March to fulfill the conditions of the Gold status challenge (i.e., 12,500 MQM and $1,500 spend in 90 days). I'm planning to take my first Delta flight on January 7 and the final itinerary should be completed by March 6. Given the timing of those trips and the information presented in this thread, I plan to submit my application for a status match to Delta on December 10, 2019. I've seen reports of approval ranging from hours to three weeks, which puts my status match start date anywhere from December 11, 2019 to January 1, 2020 and the end date anywhere from March 10 to March 30.

Am I cutting this too close?
I would expect your match to get approved sooner rather than later -- the several weeks was from the huge crunch of us who all applied around 1 July to get 18 months of matched status

Do note that the MQMs from the credit card don't officially count toward the match, but I think you know that.

Originally Posted by kale73
I'd also appreciate some more detailed information from recent United refugees to Delta on exactly what information you pulled from the website / app to submit for the status match. I haven't had a physical MileagePlus card for several years and from what I can tell the 'virtual' card is now only available on the app. I guess I'll have to take a screenshot of that. My other problem is finding a list of qualifying flights on the website that also has my name on it. I see something like that on the app, but that would require multiple screenshots and some 'stictching' together to create something intelligible. Is there somplace I'm not looking?
I sent a really tall screenshot of "My Activity" from the website, and a photo of the front of my physical MP card, which seemed to be enough.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I’m a DFW/TPA based AA EXP who will be switching to DL at the beginning of the year. I’ve read through much of the thread detail and would like to confirm my assumptions.

- I probably should apply for the status match about a week before my first flight (Jan 6).
- The highest SM available is Platinum.
- I will end the year with AA around 200K EQM so Diamond s/b somewhat achievable by years’ end.
- Delta’s equivalent to AA’s Business Extra will be somewhat rewarding since I’m DFW/TPA based. 30 multiplier vs. 10 multiplier for Delta hub-based flyers.
- Delta flies out of DFW’s terminal E - so I should probably apply for CLEAR.
- I currently have an AMEX Business account earning 7.5% of every booking. I can change my airline to Delta at the beginning of the year and earn the same MR points. Is there a thread that discusses AMEX Business vs. AMEX Delta (seems like a lot of buzz about it)?

Anything else?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by findark

I sent a really tall screenshot of "My Activity" from the website, and a photo of the front of my physical MP card, which seemed to be enough.
Yeah I just got my status match challenge approved from my United status and sent them two PDF printouts: a) the digital card that shows when you go to "My Status" on Mileage Plus and b) the full "my activity" log since that lists flights taken, the PQM earned, and PQD earned. I was approved within 48 hours, and I submitted it on a weekend. Pretty quick turnaround
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by lsquare
Lucky you. I think I would be more impressed if this was an intercontinental flight.
No such luck. That being said, I've successfully status matched and will be Silver through 2021. It's the little things that count !
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:32 pm

UA Gold -> DL PM?

I thought the status challenge would match UA Gold to DL Gold status. That's also what the wiki post at the top says, and what I recollect from the delta website a few days ago.

But looking at the status challenge page today, it seems UA Silver will be matched to GM and UA Gold and above to PM. Is this a new change? Perhaps in response to mileageplus changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.