Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
13+ days as of July 18th 2019
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 3, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As of yesterday I have 21,052 MQM (11,052 flown, 10k from AMEX) and 1,697 MQD on my status match. This morning I received the Platinum Medallion welcome email, the website shows me as Plat until 31-Jan-21, and I can make my Choice Benefit selection*. I will hit both 18,750 MQM and 2,250 MQD before my match expires, but it does really seem like the system doesn't care and counts MQM from all sources only.

*Is it right I could delay getting RUCs until 31-Jan-21 and have until 31-Jan-22 to use them? Coming from the UA world that's just weird.
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by findark View Post
*Is it right I could delay getting RUCs until 31-Jan-21 and have until 31-Jan-22 to use them? Coming from the UA world that's just weird.
Yup. But keep in mind that RUCs are sorted by priority status. Which means if you lose your status, you can still use them, but your priority will be below anyone else using RUCs with any status.
findark likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:18 pm

disregard

Last edited by Brian K; Sep 4, 19 at 4:34 pm Reason: bad question
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Just to double check, travel booked with KLM (0074 stock), operated by KLM counts for the MQM? It seems like even the lowest Economy booking class earns 100% MQM which would mean that a roundtrip AMS-DXB is already sufficient for the Silver requirement.

And is the interim status valid on non-Delta flights? I can't find the quote from the Wiki on the DL page.
Old Sep 7, 19, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Just to double check, travel booked with KLM (0074 stock), operated by KLM counts for the MQM? It seems like even the lowest Economy booking class earns 100% MQM which would mean that a roundtrip AMS-DXB is already sufficient for the Silver requirement.

And is the interim status valid on non-Delta flights?
Yes and (at least for the most part) yes.

I suggest you read through this thread.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:29 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Yes and (at least for the most part) yes.

I suggest you read through this thread.
In fairness, there are 2600 posts in this thread.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
In fairness, there are 2600 posts in this thread.
Yes, but this thread has been running for over 19 years. It should be sufficient to just look at the last few pages. You'd hope people have that much common sense.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Just another data point:

UA MP Gold, status challenge requested on Sept 13 in the evening.
Confirmed match to Gold Medallion 8 hours later.
Sent in a long PDF of this and last year's activity, along with front and back of digital card on the app.

Seems like they are getting faster with matching now.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: Intercontinental Ambassador, Skyteam Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroflot Bonus
Be careful. I recently flew 6 flights on KLM. When purchasing the ticket, I entered my loyalty number for another SkyTeam airline. Then I purchased wifi internet access (and a seat upgrade for 1 flight) and the system found my ages-old KLM Flying Blue name / number and automatically flipped me over to the KLM profile. After the trip, I noticed they didn't credit me the miles to the Skyteam loyalty program I entered when i purchased the ticket. I inquired and they said that because they offered me a special rate on the wifi / seat upgrade, I had to receive ALL miles on a KLM FlyingBlue account. I went back and forth with KLM for a few weeks on this matter, but with zero success...

So if you buy any ancillary services on KLM, make darn sure their computer doesn't switch your profile over to a KLM number. You won't get the points...
Old Sep 19, 19, 4:12 pm

I have a question about MQD waiver for cross calendar year challenge period. I'm a AA platinum till the end of Jan. 2021. Currently I don't have any status with Delta and would like to take their challenge before my AA platinum expires.

I'm very close to MDQ waiver using Amex credit card and I'm sure I can reach 25K this year. I'm wondering if I submit my challenge request in December, say I get approved on Dec. 15th so my challenge period will be Dec. 15th to March 14. Will I be able to use the MDQ waiver I earned this year to satisfy or I have to start from scratch next year and spend $25K on card before the challenge period ends? I do have an international flight scheduled to earn enough MDM for the challenge.

Thanks so much for any input.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jqsfltk View Post
I'm very close to MDQ waiver using Amex credit card and I'm sure I can reach 25K this year. I'm wondering if I submit my challenge request in December, say I get approved on Dec. 15th so my challenge period will be Dec. 15th to March 14. Will I be able to use the MDQ waiver I earned this year to satisfy or I have to start from scratch next year and spend $25K on card before the challenge period ends? I do have an international flight scheduled to earn enough MDM for the challenge.
This can be found on the DL page under "Show Additional Details & Terms":

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge

If your 3-month challenge period falls between two calendar years (for example, begins on 11/1/19 and ends on 2/1/20), you can reach the MQD Waiver through either of the following two options:

Option 1: the MQD Waiver will apply if you earn it at any time during the first calendar year. In this example, you would have from 1/1/19 through 12/31/19 to achieve the MQD Waiver

Option 2: the MQD Waiver will apply if you earn it between the beginning of the second calendar year and the end of your challenge period. In this example, you would have from 1/1/20 through 2/1/20 to achieve the MQD Waiver.
Meeting either of the two options listed waives the MQD requirement for this challenge. You cannot combine your MQD Waiver spend between the two years.
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:13 pm

Thanks so much for pointing that out. Didn't know DL explained very clearly in the Additional Details section.
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:10 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, Krisflyer
I currently am holding oneworld Sapphire with CX, and have booked a CI ticket. If match with DL, will I be able to use DL status to enter CI's lounge, even if I'm not flying on DL per Skyteam access rules, or must I fly on DL first in order to be matched from CX Gold to DL Gold?
Old Sep 22, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
The DL site isn't crystal clear on this. There are specific examples in the rollover terms and conditions that if you received gifted status (PM/DM choice benefit) or complimentary status (presumably meaning 1MM+ members) you rollover anything above the highest tier you achieve even if that is lower than your comped status. It does not spell out that this applies also to status matches.
The last sentence of the Status Match Challenge Additional Details & Terms states: "Members who successfully complete the Status Match Challenge are eligible for Rollover MQMs based on their earned Medallion Status."

I agree with you, clear as mud... I have seen the DPs and it looks like anything after 25K MQM might rollover I guess?
I'm trying to navigate this with the EOY switchover. I'd sure love to rollover my 8.3K MQMs + my first two flights in the challenge (about 9.1K) that will happen before EOY, but that doesn't look likely. I was thinking about an extra MR to get the 12.5K for a GM challenge before EOY. But if it doesn't rollover, I don't see the point - I will finish my trip on 1/1/20. Or, I could do the MR and just HUCA and Twitter until it works.

Last edited by DrAlex; Sep 23, 19 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:43 am

Any further experiences on this?

I enrolled in the Plat challenge. Since my challenge started, I've flown for ~14k MQM. As I had earned around 13k MQM this year prior to starting the challenge, I've earned Gold through Jan. '20 (through the challenge) as well as Silver (the regular way). Will fly for an additional 15k MQM this year. So this should complete the Plat challenge plus some more.

-------------

Btw, me completing Silver the regular way and Gold through the challenge at the same time has apparently caused a Delta computer to asplode.

I received about 25 emails, alternating between congratulating me for earning silver and congratulating me for earning gold. This has been going on for about two weeks. I receive like 4 of these emails every other day or so.

Search this Thread