Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lsquare
Given how little time we have until the end of the year and since DL offers MQM rollover, let's say I fly exactly 12,500 miles to qualify for DL Gold until January 2021. Then I fly another 25,000 miles before the end of the calendar year for a grand total of 37,500 MQM, how much MQM will rollover into next year for status qualifications? Obviously 37,500 MQMs won't qualify me for DL Platinum so I'll end the year as DL Gold.
The DL site isn't crystal clear on this. There are specific examples in the rollover terms and conditions that if you received gifted status (PM/DM choice benefit) or complimentary status (presumably meaning 1MM+ members) you rollover anything above the highest tier you achieve even if that is lower than your comped status. It does not spell out that this applies also to status matches.

However we have a data point:

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I am a DP for rollover; it’s based entirely on earned status. Last year after a successful match to platinum, I rolled over 17k MQM after reaching 42k MQM for the year (and slightly under $6k MQD).

You definitely do not need to earn above your matched status.
So in your 37500 scenario you'd most likely have 12500 rollover.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Zorak
The DL site isn't crystal clear on this. There are specific examples in the rollover terms and conditions that if you received gifted status (PM/DM choice benefit) or complimentary status (presumably meaning 1MM+ members) you rollover anything above the highest tier you achieve even if that is lower than your comped status. It does not spell out that this applies also to status matches.

However we have a data point:

So in your 37500 scenario you'd most likely have 12500 rollover.
You’re the best bro! It’s pretty disappointing that 25k won’t rollover though. Give me a bigger head-start next year. My plan is to hit Diamond in 2020.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I am an AA Platinum and applied for status match on 8/15/2019 and was approved on 8/19/2019. I know I can knock this challenge out easily on segments, but I am also trying to keep Platinum status on AA for next year and need 14 more segments. I see that if I am approved for an AMEX Delta Reserve I can get 10,000 MQMs so I could easily match on MQMs and also knock out the AA segments. Has anyone combined a status match plus Delta Reserve bonus?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by atbPy
I am an AA Platinum and applied for status match on 8/15/2019 and was approved on 8/19/2019. I know I can knock this challenge out easily on segments, but I am also trying to keep Platinum status on AA for next year and need 14 more segments. I see that if I am approved for an AMEX Delta Reserve I can get 10,000 MQMs so I could easily match on MQMs and also knock out the AA segments. Has anyone combined a status match plus Delta Reserve bonus?
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

Under "SHOW ADDITIONAL DETAILS & TERMS"

"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."
lsquare and atbPy like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Zorak
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

Under "SHOW ADDITIONAL DETAILS & TERMS"

Thanks for the quick reply! I read everything in the e-mail they sent me but didn't read all of the terms from that page initially. I still might grab that card due to the companion offer, but guess I will plan on flying all of the segments.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:53 pm

A few pages back I posted that I got a 5k MQM bonus thru a Delta AMEX platinum bonus, and once that posted it pushed me past the 12,500 Gold threshold challenge, and I got an e-mail stating I completed the challenge. I’ve since flown more so don’t know if that challenge completion would have held
atbPy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dmbolp
A few pages back I posted that I got a 5k MQM bonus thru a Delta AMEX platinum bonus, and once that posted it pushed me past the 12,500 Gold threshold challenge, and I got an e-mail stating I completed the challenge. I’ve since flown more so don’t know if that challenge completion would have held
I am in the same boat - my 2020 status updates based on challenge completion including AMEX MQM and ignoring MQD, although I plan to complete the challenge "for real"
atbPy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Artmasterx
I suppose you could try to reply with additional docs to status match auto-reply email that had the subject "Auto Reply - Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge Request Received (KMM93657....." and the case number in the email. All of my emails with them had those same identifiers, so I am sure that is how they track the submissions.

Maybe the email management system is smart enough to group them together so that the evaluator can see both submissions when they get around to looking at it. I can't imagine it would hurt anything, but I guess it could send you to the back of the line or do something funky.

Anyone else have any insights?
Update on this: I did not add any extra documentation and my request was approved in 2 business days (submitted 8/17, approved 8/20). Not sure what magic button I pressed.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Yes as I believe you alluded to, they make it difficult to really know what they are and aren't counting towards the challenge in any case.

As my travel plans stand today I will end the challenge 1198 EQM or 2 EQS short of keeping the status all next year (good on EQD in any case). The first connecting flight I am assuming they are shorting me would have met both the EQM and EQS.

So basically I would need to book an additional round trip to ATL from S Fla for no reason other than to make sure I qualify, and really I am not sure it is worth spending even more for what Silver Medallion gives you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying and report back if I get any success. Any further experiences would be helpful.
Ok so I just kindly responded back again to the same customer support email again asking for an exception like my wife got and sure enough this time they did give me credit for the first two flights. So as far as I can tell I a should be good to go.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
What's the current strategy for timing to request? I am Platinum at AA and ready to be done with AA.

I have already-planned travel that's enough to make the 12.5k Gold challenge but unfortunately the time between the first day of the first trip and the last day of the last trip is ~85 days. So I'm worried that if I get approved too many days prior to my first trip then the challenge will end before the last trip.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Question....Will a YYZ-JAX-YYZ trip followed by a YYZ-SJU-YYZ in the "Main Cabin" be enough to qualify for a Silver status match ? Both trips have 4 segments and I think the $$ value will meet the criteria. Am I correct ?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by flying chef
Question....Will a YYZ-JAX-YYZ trip followed by a YYZ-SJU-YYZ in the "Main Cabin" be enough to qualify for a Silver status match ? Both trips have 4 segments and I think the $$ value will meet the criteria. Am I correct ?
What’s the routing?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

What’s the routing?

1. yyz atl jax
2. jax atl yyz
3. yyz atl sju
4. sju atl yyz
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by flying chef
1. yyz atl jax
2. jax atl yyz
3. yyz atl sju
4. sju atl yyz
Unless any of those are a "direct" flight with the same number on both legs, that sure looks like 8 segments to me.

Note that MQDs only include carrier-imposed taxes and fees so the MQD total will usually be slightly or somewhat less than the total ticket price. Look at the breakdown when purchasing, or if you are logged in when you buy the ticket it will tell you the MQM/MQD earning during the checkout process.
flying chef likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:56 am

I just logged on, and Sky Miles is showing Silver Medallion status. It's also showing that I'm exempt from MQD requirements because I'm in Canada. Is that correct ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.