Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:21 am

My update: Applied 6/25, Approved 7/7 for Gold from Southwest AL+, a Delta Amex Platinum 5,000 MQM bonus completed the challenge for me according to Delta, but an SEA-ATL flight yesterday completed the MQM requirement anyway without the AMEX bonus; met the MQD requirement after a few flights.

But the upgrades sure have dried up
Attached Images  
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lsquare
How often does DL deny a status challenge request? I already have 3 UA flights booked and when completed I'll have *G through OZ. I plan to apply for a DL status challenge the second I obtain *G through OZ. If DL sees my documentation, they're going to see that I just obtained *G. Could this lead them to think that I haven't had status long enough to warrant giving me a status challenge? I kind of want to book a flight for the later part of this year even though I haven't requested a status challenge. I'm coming from the perspective that DL will give me the status challenge no matter what if I can prove that I have *G through OZ.
Any other comments?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by daslax
My status request was approved, but I provided all documentation for AA Exec Plat status and was only given a Gold status match. I replied to the confirmation email but is it worth trying to call SM? Considering it took two weeks to get the status match approved, I’d rather not wait another two weeks for them to fix. Anyone else have them match to the wrong status and was it easily resolved?
So apparently the DL folks get confused by the various uses of the word “Platinum” in the AA system. After a few days with no response to my email, I called into DL. The agent I spoke to reached out to the status match team who assured him there was no mistake, I was indeed only entitled to Gold as an AA Exec Plat. I insisted that EP is equivalent to Diamond on DL and even the next level lower (Plat Pro) gets Platinum and he checked again and they insisted “all forms of Platinum on AA” matched to Gold. Finally I asked him to please look at the status match page on delta.com. He looked it up and said, “looks like you’re right, let me try them again”. A few minutes later he apologized for the mistake, thanked me for my patience, and said they would correct it. He said it would take up to a week, but today (morning after the call), my status was updated to Platinum and challenge dates reset.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: American Airlines
I've been doing a delta status challenge at the platinum level. Within a short amount of time, I seem to have completed the platinum challenge. However, while I have met the MQM required, I have not met the MQD requirement. I've seen some posts about finishing the match earlier than expected. I guess I wonder if there is a glitch in the system where Delta later realizes that I should have more MQDs than I currently have. The question is whether I should be making an effort to meet the publicized MQD requirement, even though Delta currently says I have completed the platinum challenge.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:35 am

My "earlier than expected" finish was due to a 5K AMEX signup bonus towards MQM, but not yet reaching the MQD requirement seems like a new data point. Are you sure you haven't just passed the Gold threshold of $1,500 (and have Gold for the time being) and not yet reached the Platinum $2,250?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro
So my status match is turning to a problem, and I need some advice, before I go booking even more flights to effectively get a free year of checked bags.

Quick summary, I knew I had to enroll after July 1st to get all of 2020 covered. I had enough already needed travel coming up that if I directed it all to Delta, I could status match my AA Gold to Silver Medallion. I also saw they said to allow UP TO 2 weeks to be accepted. The first of those flights was on 7/23, the last was on 10/4 (and actually lands on 10/5). So given that and not being sure if they start the challenge from when you APPLY or when they APPROVE you (as I have read reports of both online), I applied on July 8th, 2 weeks and one day before the first flight, and leaving enough time to be save on the last flight no matter what criteria they used.

Fast forward to the 22nd and I have not heard anything, so I reach out to DL via facebook chat and the delta website chat, and basically just get told I have to keep waiting, and suddenly they declare it can take 3 weeks to get approved. SO the next morning I take the first 2 segment flight and not but a few hours in that same afternoon I get the enrollment email! But I check my earnings for the flight and of course, no Medallion status shown. So I immediately at that moment responded to the email stating that I just took ticket number XXX flight that morning and needed those flights to qualify for the status, and that they should have had be enrolled in two weeks, before that flight.

So just a few minutes ago, here on 8/15 I get a response that because my tickets were purchased before the enrollment they don't count? I don't even begin to understand that, the return flights I took on the same status were immediately updated with my status and I earned bonus miles on them, free checked bag, ect. AFAIK MQM/MQD/MQS is based on when you FLY not when you BUY, so how is that relevant at all?

Any idea if there is someone I can call on the phone and try to get to a reasoned and cool headed resolution for this? I've signed myself up for a lot of connections through ATL and pretty much shot my chances of re-qualifying with AA this year because I wanted to become a happy Delta customer, but now it looks like I might be left out to dry.

I get the program gets mobbed with submissions after July with the way they structure the benefit, but I just want someone here to look at my situation who is equipped to help as I tried to be very diligent to follow the rules as laid out on the plan.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HiAperture
So just a few minutes ago, here on 8/15 I get a response that because my tickets were purchased before the enrollment they don't count? I don't even begin to understand that, the return flights I took on the same status were immediately updated with my status and I earned bonus miles on them, free checked bag, ect. AFAIK MQM/MQD/MQS is based on when you FLY not when you BUY, so how is that relevant at all?
I retroactively received credit at the PM level for a flight booked before I applied for the match, and flew before approval. I assume I also got credit toward the challenge, but I don't know any way to tell that. However...

Any idea if there is someone I can call on the phone and try to get to a reasoned and cool headed resolution for this? I've signed myself up for a lot of connections through ATL and pretty much shot my chances of re-qualifying with AA this year because I wanted to become a happy Delta customer, but now it looks like I might be left out to dry.
I found it nearly impossible to reach anyone at Delta directly who could do anything. I ended up just lobbing a bunch of correspondence at them (social media, email, calls) and got a number of "we'll pass your request on to the relevant people"... without ever hearing back, one day I woke up to my account reflecting the above.

The being said, if things haven't panned out, how short are you really? Can't imagine "a lot of connections" through ATL would leave you very short as two round-trips through ATL would get you the needed 8 MQS for FO. Can you just jam one more trip into the match period?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I retroactively received credit at the PM level for a flight booked before I applied for the match, and flew before approval. I assume I also got credit toward the challenge, but I don't know any way to tell that. However...

I found it nearly impossible to reach anyone at Delta directly who could do anything. I ended up just lobbing a bunch of correspondence at them (social media, email, calls) and got a number of "we'll pass your request on to the relevant people"... without ever hearing back, one day I woke up to my account reflecting the above.

The being said, if things haven't panned out, how short are you really? Can't imagine "a lot of connections" through ATL would leave you very short as two round-trips through ATL would get you the needed 8 MQS for FO. Can you just jam one more trip into the match period?
Yes as I believe you alluded to, they make it difficult to really know what they are and aren't counting towards the challenge in any case.

As my travel plans stand today I will end the challenge 1198 EQM or 2 EQS short of keeping the status all next year (good on EQD in any case). The first connecting flight I am assuming they are shorting me would have met both the EQM and EQS.

So basically I would need to book an additional round trip to ATL from S Fla for no reason other than to make sure I qualify, and really I am not sure it is worth spending even more for what Silver Medallion gives you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying and report back if I get any success. Any further experiences would be helpful.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
My "earlier than expected" finish was due to a 5K AMEX signup bonus towards MQM, but not yet reaching the MQD requirement seems like a new data point. Are you sure you haven't just passed the Gold threshold of $1,500 (and have Gold for the time being) and not yet reached the Platinum $2,250?
I’ve passed the gold mqd requirement for sure, just not the platinum. However, it says that ive completed the platinum challenge.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:46 am

So my status match is turning to a problem, and I need some advice, before I go booking even more flights to effectively get a free year of checked bags.

Quick summary, I knew I had to enroll after July 1st to get all of 2020 covered. I had enough already needed travel coming up that if I directed it all to Delta, I could status match my AA Gold to Silver Medallion. I also saw they said to allow UP TO 2 weeks to be accepted. The first of those flights was on 7/23, the last was on 10/4 (and actually lands on 10/5). So given that and not being sure if they start the challenge from when you APPLY or when they APPROVE you (as I have read reports of both online), I applied on July 8th, 2 weeks and one day before the first flight, and leaving enough time to be save on the last flight no matter what criteria they used.

Fast forward to the 22nd and I have not heard anything, so I reach out to DL via facebook chat and the delta website chat, and basically just get told I have to keep waiting, and suddenly they declare it can take 3 weeks to get approved. SO the next morning I take the first 2 segment flight and not but a few hours in that same afternoon I get the enrollment email! But I check my earnings for the flight and of course, no Medallion status shown. So I immediately at that moment responded to the email stating that I just took ticket number XXX flight that morning and needed those flights to qualify for the status, and that they should have had be enrolled in two weeks, before that flight.

I get the program gets mobbed with submissions after July with the way they structure the benefit, but I just want someone here to look at my situation who is equipped to help as I tried to be very diligent to follow the rules as laid out on the plan.
i bought tickets before my challenge was approved and flew after it was approved. Before I bought the tickets, they told me it would count.

One issue that may have arisen in your case: I got two emails about the challenge being approved. The first said that the challenge would start the next day. So it may be that technically the challenge started slightly after your first flight?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by amndflyer

i bought tickets before my challenge was approved and flew after it was approved. Before I bought the tickets, they told me it would count.

One issue that may have arisen in your case: I got two emails about the challenge being approved. The first said that the challenge would start the next day. So it may be that technically the challenge started slightly after your first flight?
How long did it took DL to approve your challenge? I got a plan in place, but I'm worried that it won't work.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by amndflyer

So I didn't want to add to complications on my story, but I enrolled my wife, also AA Gold, at the exact same time as me, and she got the approval minutes after mine (after the first 2 flights), and I sent the same request in from her email about needing credit for the flight. A delta rep wrote HER back last night they WILL extend her an exception and count that first flight! Talk about inconsistent. At least now I know if I need to find another flight to take to qualify it will only need to be one ticket for me, since she will be covered.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:13 am
Suspended

Please disregard (issue solved).

Last edited by speed.skater; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:42 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS-MVPG75K / HHonors-Diamond
Question Alaska

Originally Posted by steve64
I'm thinking along those lines. It is LAST year's flying that I think they want ... to prove my current 75K status isn't comped.
That would be 4 web-pages of data. That's why I 1st thought of using the AS Web's option to export to Excel, but that won't look official. So 4 screenshots it will be.
I just doesn't seem to me that others have gone through that trouble.
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you @steve64, did you have any success?
I just sent back 6 screenshots/photos of membership cards, mobile screenshots, web screenshots etc that listed my 2019 status as Gold 75K including an email of my Alaska Airlines "eStatement", which is really nothing more than a newsletter, but it does show my name and 2019 status and is the only "Statement" Alaska sends.
If that doesn't work, I'll send multi page PDF of all my flight activity from 2018 that was used to earn 2019 status.
I'll update what I hear back from DL.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:51 pm

2.5 or 3 weeks. My plan started about a month after I submitting the request

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.