Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
The "Show Additional Details and Terms" section clearly states they don't: "MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

​​So this seems like a glitch. If it sticks, congrats I guess?
Yeah, probably a glitch, but I won't be a data point as I'll certainly earn another 5,000 MQMs by flying before October, so I'm not testing it!

Edit: But besides the e-mail saying I've completed the challenge, my 2020 status also reflects Gold now
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA platinum
I just did the equivalent of HUCA on Twitter DM (delete old DM thread and start a new one) and got an amazing CSR this time around (identifier "TST").

Here as my basic message, minus personal stuff:
"You may not be able to help, but I thought it can't hurt to ask! I recently applied for a status match to platinum (from UA platinum) on July 1st. I received a reply on 7/13 that the info I provided was not sufficient, so I replied on the same day with more supporting information. I have a flight to XXX on 7/22 that I would really love to count toward my status challenge. Is there any way for you to politely ask the Skymiles Desk to reconsider my re-submission prior to my flight to XXX?"

The response I got this time was:
"I'll be glad to check into this for you. I sent an email to the Status Match Challenge Department and will let you know once I receive a response."

Less than 10 minutes later I got the status challenge enrollment email.

So don't give up on Twitter yet! I am not sure what the odds of getting someone what will be willing to email the Status Match Challenge Department, but if you do and have a good reason for expedited consideration, it seems possible.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I sent screenshot of my card front and back from the old UA app. And then the front page when you login on the website from a PC. It shows your membership number, status and Star Alliance Gold.

I sent this on July 9 at 6 am EDT.

Remember that you don't get a physical card anymore as UA gold.

Originally Posted by Artmasterx
Technically, mine response was within the 2-week window, at 12-13 days. But yeah, I thought I was giving myself a much bigger buffer by also assuming 5 days was still typical. I bet they get a lot of requests around the July 1 date due to status counting through 2020.

I am matching from United Platinum. I gave them a scan of the front and back of my physical membership card, and then a screen shot of my 2018 earning summary. I think the problem probably was than the earning summary gives your FF# as something like XXXX123 instead of showing the full number, so that was probably grounds for denial, even though it had my name and the name and last digits of the screenshot matched my membership card. (though they did not specifically say why it was denied).

I resubmitted with just about everything relevant I could print off the website. United doesn't seem to provide proper monthly or yearly statements anymore, so there is not a simple document that seems to hit what they ask for. But hopefully my resubmission will get reviewed and approved this week...

Once i get the platinum match and if it doesn't come in time, I will ask nicely for the Medallion desk if they can roll back the start (and end) date by the necessary amount to count my trip. Can't hurt but I would not be holding my breath.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So far, using the social media team to get status match answers has been a long game of telephone... at least all the reps I have reached will "contact the status match team" but say there's no way to get a response. My account now shows my match period backdated to 7 July... and ending on 31 July. More fixing will be in order
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

The question: Gold or the Platinum challenge? (Could do either one, depending on which status I match.)

I intend to use SkyTeam as a secondary program, as I live close to *A hubs, not quite as close to the nearest ST hubs (AMS and CDG). I do fly short-haul KL and AF every now and then. I fly DL long-haul from Europe to the US perhaps once a year. No USA-domestic flights are planned. I am planning a vacation to Vietnam so I might fly some VN over the course of the next year.

I expect to being able to complete the Gold challenge from flights I have to do anyway. However, to achieve the Platinum challenge, I'd have to do a bit of mileage running.

Do you think, in my scenario, there is any virtue in completing the Platinum challenge? Keep in mind I'm no expert on Medallion status. (But obviously, I resarched the differences between the status levels a bit prior to posting.)
Hope
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Can't think of a reason not to do Platinum. You'll still get Gold when you reach that threshold, no loss if you don't get to the Platinum threshold.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
not sure about the answer to this, and I find conflicting info everywhere. Does anyone know how to calculate the medallion mileage bonus? I have an AF 'A' class flight which grants 150% MQM and 100% base miles and 50% bonus miles for 150% total. Is the gold medallion bonus calculated as a 60% bonus of the 150% total or 60% bonus of 100% base? The verbiage of the earn page states base miles, however the example they quoted on the skymiles page indicates the bonus calculated as a % of the entire total.
Which one is correct?

*not sure if it's the right place to post this, but seeing as I got my gold status from the match....*
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
This may be a silly question but oh well, I won't be the first and won't be the last

This year I am on pace to reach Platinum status but it will not be until later in the year when the Amex waiver is reached. I do have the opportunity the do a status match for gold for next month and complete that as I am flying to SFO-Europe and SFO-East coast. Does anyone see any issues with this? Becoming gold via the status match early and then later on the year reaching Platinum the "natural way" (75,000 MQMs + Amex waiver)? The only reason I would do this is to enjoy the perk of gold for the months of August to December, but does getting gold via the status match bar you from reaching any other status.

Disclaimer: I understand that one status does not build onto the other so I am not assuming reaching gold via the match will automatically give me 50,000 MQMs + MQDs in my balance
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your profile says you are an FO. You can't do a status match challenge on Delta if you already have Medallion status.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
not sure about the answer to this, and I find conflicting info everywhere. Does anyone know how to calculate the medallion mileage bonus? I have an AF 'A' class flight which grants 150% MQM and 100% base miles and 50% bonus miles for 150% total. Is the gold medallion bonus calculated as a 60% bonus of the 150% total or 60% bonus of 100% base? The verbiage of the earn page states base miles, however the example they quoted on the skymiles page indicates the bonus calculated as a % of the entire total.
Which one is correct?
All my recent partner earnings have earned the bonus as percentage of base, as stated on the earn page. So for a GM traveling on an AF A fare, for each 1000 miles flown you'd earn 1000 base RDMs, 500 bonus RDMs for class of service, and 600 bonus RDMs GM bonus for a total of 2100 RDMs per 1000 flown (and, for completeness,1500 MQMs and 300 MQDs)

Out of curiosity what's the link to the page with an example calculating it as percentage of total? I can't find it offhand
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Zorak
All my recent partner earnings have earned the bonus as percentage of base, as stated on the earn page. So for a GM traveling on an AF A fare, for each 1000 miles flown you'd earn 1000 base RDMs, 500 bonus RDMs for class of service, and 600 bonus RDMs GM bonus for a total of 2100 RDMs per 1000 flown (and, for completeness,1500 MQMs and 300 MQDs)

Out of curiosity what's the link to the page with an example calculating it as percentage of total? I can't find it offhand
ah I must have misunderstood it, it's the exception fare earnings page for delta flights, theres a section for medallion bonus earnings

• For example, if a Diamond Medallion Member flew a distance of 1,000 miles in “F” class and therefore earned 1,500 miles on that exception fare, they would receive an additional 120% Medallion mileage bonus on top of the 1,500 miles earned – an extra 1,800 miles. In this scenario, the Diamond Medallion Member would earn a total of 3,300 miles.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by xliioper
Your profile says you are an FO. You can't do a status match challenge on Delta if you already have Medallion status.
Ohhh didn't know that. I guess that answers my post really quick
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:45 am

What about Rollover MQM

Hello everyone.
I already reached 20,000 mqm in first week after starting my platinum status match.
does anyone here have a idea if the rollover MQM rule will work here for me starting from the 18750 miles mark?
Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Srulik1894
Hello everyone.
I already reached 20,000 mqm in first week after starting my platinum status match.
does anyone here have a idea if the rollover MQM rule will work here for me starting from the 18750 miles mark?
Thank you.
You only rollover beyond the published thresholds for medallion status, so no rollover until at least 25k MQMs and possibly higher.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

"Rollover benefit means MQMs earned in 2018 above a Member’s earned Medallion Tier will roll over to 2019 and count toward 2020 Medallion Status Qualification. Members who do not achieve any Tier of earned Medallion Status through the published requirements are ineligible for rollover MQMs. Members who receive complimentary or gifted Medallion Status are only eligible for rollover MQMs if they also earn at least Silver Medallion Status through the published requirements. Members who successfully complete a Status Match Challenge are also eligible for Rollover MQMs based on their earned Medallion Status."

My read of the parts I highlighted is that if you challenge to Plat you will only rollover beyond 75k, assuming you satisfy the MQDs or waiver.

I forget if we have any actual data points on this though.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No MQM rollover unless you earn above the normal level required for your matched status level (75K for Plat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.