Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
I know that AeroMexico and Delta have an partnership between their frequent flyer programs. My question is when do I actually get an upgrade on AM flights with a DL Platinum status? Is this only on flights within North and Central America. I might book a flight from MEX to BOG in Y during my DL status challenge to Platinum, will I have a chance to get an upgrade on this route with Delta Platinum status?
There's a section on Delta's website that covers Medallion complimentary upgrades on Aeromexico flights --
  • Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on all intra-Mexico Aeromexico flights, as well as Aeromexico flights between Mexico and the U.S., Central America, Caribbean, Colombia and Ecuador.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:26 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
There's a section on Delta's website that covers Medallion complimentary upgrades on Aeromexico flights --
  • Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on all intra-Mexico Aeromexico flights, as well as Aeromexico flights between Mexico and the U.S., Central America, Caribbean, Colombia and Ecuador.
Thanks, great to hear that. This makes flying on AM more attractive for me.

What if I have a flight that is operated by CM but with a KL flight number? Will I get the miles as it would be a KL flight?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Thanks, great to hear that. This makes flying on AM more attractive for me.

What if I have a flight that is operated by CM but with a KL flight number? Will I get the miles as it would be a KL flight?
You don't earn any miles for partner marketed flights which are operated by an airline which is not a DL partner. So, no, you would not get any miles for a CM operated flight even when marketed by KL as Copa is not a Skyteam member or DL partner.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:40 am
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Originally Posted by LDR
Hi! Has anyone had experience doing a match as a lifetime gold member (without much flying this year) to Delta Silver? The terms say you must have qualified via published guidelines (which lifetime status is published on AA).
An update that this challenge match went through with a lifetime AA gold --> Silver.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Medallion Status Match, Complete Challenge After July 1

Hello,
I recently started flying Delta and then I came across Delta Status Match program and see that If i enroll and complete the requirements now, I will have the status until Jan 2020. But If i do it after July 1st, then it will be until Jan 2021.
I have few questions
1. After enrollment, I believe there will be a 90 Day challenge to extend my medallion status with Delta. So If i enroll now and complete the 90 day challenge after July 1st, will my medallion status extends to Jan 2021?
2. I wanted to have the Medallion status till Jan 2021, What's the best way? Do you want me to wait until July 1st , then enroll and complete the challenge?

PS: My 1st post in FT, Apologies if this has been answered already or posted somewhere.

--
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vreddy
Hello,
I recently started flying Delta and then I came across Delta Status Match program and see that If i enroll and complete the requirements now, I will have the status until Jan 2020. But If i do it after July 1st, then it will be until Jan 2021.
I have few questions
1. After enrollment, I believe there will be a 90 Day challenge to extend my medallion status with Delta. So If i enroll now and complete the 90 day challenge after July 1st, will my medallion status extends to Jan 2021?
2. I wanted to have the Medallion status till Jan 2021, What's the best way? Do you want me to wait until July 1st , then enroll and complete the challenge?

PS: My 1st post in FT, Apologies if this has been answered already or posted somewhere.

--
Here is what Delta's web page says regarding the challenge:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

"If you enroll in the challenge between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2020.

"If you enroll in the challenge on or after July 1, 2019 and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2021."

IMO this is very clear that if you enroll now and successfully complete the challenge, your status will be valid until January 31, 2020 no matter what your completion date is.

(Of course, should you subsequently qualify for the challenged level of status or a higher level the ordinary way, that status would be good until January of 2021)

Welcome to FT, and good luck with the challenge should you decide to pursue it!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Here is what Delta's web page says regarding the challenge:

"If you enroll in the challenge between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2020.

"If you enroll in the challenge on or after July 1, 2019 and you complete the requirements, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2021."

IMO this is very clear that if you enroll now and successfully complete the challenge, your status will be valid until January 31, 2020 no matter what your completion date is.

(Of course, should you subsequently qualify for the challenged level of status or a higher level the ordinary way, that status would be good until January of 2021)

Welcome to FT, and good luck with the challenge should you decide to pursue it!
Yeah, went through that in Delta Website, But it says that I need to complete challenge before July 1st to have it until Jan 2020. But Looks like, I might end up completeing my challenge after July 1st and struggling to find the answer for this one. Asked Delta on Twitter, still awaiting the answer. So wondering, if anyone had encountered this situation.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, went through that in Delta Website, But it says that I need to complete challenge before July 1st to have it until Jan 2020. But Looks like, I might end up completeing my challenge after July 1st and struggling to find the answer for this one. Asked Delta on Twitter, still awaiting the answer. So wondering, if anyone had encountered this situation.
DL agents are unlikely to give a correct answer here. More than likely they will simply tell you what you want to hear rather than the actual truth. If you want status through 2021, you should wait until July 1 to apply.
Zorak likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yeah, went through that in Delta Website, But it says that I need to complete challenge before July 1st to have it until Jan 2020. But Looks like, I might end up completeing my challenge after July 1st and struggling to find the answer for this one.
I believe you are confusing yourself by focusing on the end date. However there should be no struggle -- the terms copied above are extremely clear. For a Delta challenge, only the enrollment date matters. If you enroll before July 1, you will only have status from the challenge through Jan 2020. Period. That is true regardless of whether you complete the challenge before or after July 1.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I believe you are confusing yourself by focusing on the end date. However there should be no struggle -- the terms copied above are extremely clear. For a Delta challenge, only the enrollment date matters. If you enroll before July 1, you will only have status from the challenge through Jan 2020. Period. That is true regardless of whether you complete the challenge before or after July 1.
Might be. Any idea if Delta allows me to postpone my enrollment date. I've enrolled 2 days back.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta
Hey Everyone, first time poster, be kind!

I would love some advice, because I can only learn so much from Youtube videos.

So I'm thinking of doing the Platinum Status Match Challenge after July 1. I have a number of flights in a 90 day period so I think I can keep it post 90 days.

1. How long does it take to get approved? Max 10 business days?
2. So I've got 90 days of Platinum status, and 90 days to earn enough to keep it.. Do you get the MQM multiplier because of status? Does having status get you the MQM multiplier? What is the multiplier?
3. Say I buy an economy ticket, the Platinum status gets me quick upgrades to Delta Plus or even First class right? But since it's the economy MQD's obviously but is it economy MQM's? Even if I upgrade?
4. So i don't have status now with Delta, I'm going to bring it over from another airline, but I have a decent amount of MQM's and MQD's that will build up until I take the plunge after 7/1. What happens to those post 90 days? What happens to them during the 90 days? Is the challenge just a new profile of your skymiles account for a temporary 90 days? Then reverts back?
5. So after the 90 days, do you get the official letter with whatever status you get, luggage tags all that?
6. Does Platinum status get you SkyClub access?
7. Best perks about Platinum status?
8. Is anything not included in your status during the 90 days? Also, its time flown during the 90 days right?

Hopefully this isn't too many questions, and I'm sure they've been answered before, but 159 pages is a lot to go through!

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by natakou
Hey Everyone, first time poster, be kind!

I would love some advice, because I can only learn so much from Youtube videos.

So I'm thinking of doing the Platinum Status Match Challenge after July 1. I have a number of flights in a 90 day period so I think I can keep it post 90 days.

1. How long does it take to get approved? Max 10 business days?
2. So I've got 90 days of Platinum status, and 90 days to earn enough to keep it.. Do you get the MQM multiplier because of status? Does having status get you the MQM multiplier? What is the multiplier?
3. Say I buy an economy ticket, the Platinum status gets me quick upgrades to Delta Plus or even First class right? But since it's the economy MQD's obviously but is it economy MQM's? Even if I upgrade?
4. So i don't have status now with Delta, I'm going to bring it over from another airline, but I have a decent amount of MQM's and MQD's that will build up until I take the plunge after 7/1. What happens to those post 90 days? What happens to them during the 90 days? Is the challenge just a new profile of your skymiles account for a temporary 90 days? Then reverts back?
5. So after the 90 days, do you get the official letter with whatever status you get, luggage tags all that?
6. Does Platinum status get you SkyClub access?
7. Best perks about Platinum status?
8. Is anything not included in your status during the 90 days? Also, its time flown during the 90 days right?

Hopefully this isn't too many questions, and I'm sure they've been answered before, but 159 pages is a lot to go through!

Thank you in advance!
Don't know all of these, and some of these theoretically would get (or already have) threads of their own, but some short answers:

2. There is no MQM multiplier from status. You are probably thinking of redeemable/award miles or RDMs. The PM multiplier on RDMs is 9x (and on partner-coded flights there's percentages involved, see the relevant partner earning charts)
3. You always earn on what you purchased even if you are subsequently upgraded. (There are some niche cases and glitches where this may not always be true but that discussion is out-of-scope for this thread)
4. It's not a new profile; any MQM/MQS/MQD you earn during the challenge period remain in your account after the challenge and count towards earning status the "hard" way along with any MQM/MQS/MQD you already have before the challenge. Nothing gets subtracted at the end of the challenge.
5. Pretty sure this is "not until completion"
6. No. DMs can select SkyClub membership as one of their Choice Benefits but not PM. PM does get SkyClub access on international itineraries (and again there are some caveats here that are the subject of other long threads)
7. Depends who you ask. Free award redeposit is a big one, and RUCs as a Choice Benefit are great if you can find upgrade space to use them.

And lastly welcome to FT and the DL forum!
Old May 1, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I would be grateful for some first hand experience concerning lounge access during the challenge phase, as some of the reports I have read seem to contradict the wiki.

Would be matched to SkyMiles Platinum and was wondering whether I would be able to access a KLM lounge at AMS before a KLM flight during the 90 days challenge phase?

Lounge access would be the most important reason for me to apply for the match, so any input is very much appreciated.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador/Spire Elite/Kimpton Inner Circle. AA: Plat. SW, UA, DL, Alaska: nuttin'!
Status match without challenge

Does Delta offer a status challenge without having status from another airline with which to match, i.e. a status challenge without the status match portion?
From what I am seeing, Delta only provides a "status match challenge" but no "status challenge" without matching.
Since I currently only have SW A-list but will be doing a lot of miles this summer for which I could earn quite a bit on a straight status challenge to a higher tier status (if available), I am bummed.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by Phaeton
Does Delta offer a status challenge without having status from another airline with which to match, i.e. a status challenge without the status match portion?
From what I am seeing, Delta only provides a "status match challenge" but no "status challenge" without matching.
Since I currently only have SW A-list but will be doing a lot of miles this summer for which I could earn quite a bit on a straight status challenge to a higher tier status (if available), I am bummed.
I would call Delta and tell them you would like to do a status challenge for your desired status. Obviously this is different than a Status Match which you need an existing status. It might cost you a bucks, but it would give you the opportunity to get your status faster. I've completed a status challenge from AA in the past and would assume Delta has the same program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.