Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: WFBF
Looking at starting a match (from AA EXP to, hopefully, DL PM) in the next couple weeks, as I conveniently have a run to AMS scheduled. Couple things I can't seem to find for certain from scouring the thread:

• Do bonus MQM for premium fares apply during the 90-day period? Things are a lot simpler if I can just buy some J or F tickets
  • Similarly, is there a segment-minimum amount of MQM, or is it just straight mileage flown? From UA, pmUS and AA, I'm used to at least 500 miles per segment regardless of actual length, but unsure if DL does that, or if it applies during the 90-day status match period.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Looking at starting a match (from AA EXP to, hopefully, DL PM) in the next couple weeks, as I conveniently have a run to AMS scheduled. Couple things I can't seem to find for certain from scouring the thread:

• Do bonus MQM for premium fares apply during the 90-day period? Things are a lot simpler if I can just buy some J or F tickets
  • Similarly, is there a segment-minimum amount of MQM, or is it just straight mileage flown? From UA, pmUS and AA, I'm used to at least 500 miles per segment regardless of actual length, but unsure if DL does that, or if it applies during the 90-day status match period.
I know that bonus MQM count, at least they did for my match. Pretty sure that you get 500 MQM segment minimum with 750 minimum for premium fares as well.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Any data points on how long matches are taking these days? I'm on day seven after submitting the form and photo. I know when I considered doing this last year and asked a related question, I received a pretty quick response (but maybe communications are handled by a different group from those who do the actual status granting). I'll share my experience once that match happens (and I'm hoping Murphy's Law works and just by posting this, I'll awaken in the morning and see my new status!)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I know that bonus MQM count, at least they did for my match. Pretty sure that you get 500 MQM segment minimum with 750 minimum for premium fares as well.
OK, then, Just filled out the status-match form and emailed a copy of my AA EXP membership card, so I guess now I wait.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:32 pm

I received an email today notifying me I received my AAdvantage Gold Elite. I submitted a status match for Delta. What is the typical timing on notification of this? I'm flying to Germany in early November, so hoping I get the status match before I leave on that trip. Chances?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkemp
I received an email today notifying me I received my AAdvantage Gold Elite. I submitted a status match for Delta. What is the typical timing on notification of this? I'm flying to Germany in early November, so hoping I get the status match before I leave on that trip. Chances?
AA Gold matches to DL Silver. The benefits of Silver status on an international flight are pretty marginal. A slight bump in redeemable miles (7x vs. 5x base ticket price) and a chance at a C+ seat for free at the 24 hour mark are about all it's worth. You won't get lounge access or Sky Priority benefits.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
AA Gold matches to DL Silver. The benefits of Silver status on an international flight are pretty marginal. A slight bump in redeemable miles (7x vs. 5x base ticket price) and a chance at a C+ seat for free at the 24 hour mark are about all it's worth. You won't get lounge access or Sky Priority benefits.
I'm actually flying for business, so I'm flying Delta One, so not too worried about the international flights. I'm more concerned about getting the required MQM's from the Germany flight to cover the required 90 day MQMs.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Just following up to share my experience with the process. Filled out form and sent copy of card last Wednesday and noticed this afternoon (the following Wednesday) that my status had finally updated on the site. As others had reported, there was no email or other notification (though perhaps it will appear later). I'd held off booking some flights, so I did so immediately. It seems that the status upgrade process doesn't happen all at once. My ticket purchases did indicate the correct earned miles for the new level, yet I was not able to select Preferred seats. I also noticed that viewing my card in the FlyDelta app showed only a regular SkyMiles version. I called and spoke with a very friendly and helpful agent who did some checking and advised that it takes an additional five business days for all benefits of upgraded status to appear in the system. That's fine since none of my flights are immediate, but it's good to know for those that may be timing a match very close to travel plans. I was surprised that the rep didn't offer to change my seats, but then I realized her system may not permit that either right now. I'll patiently wait and look forward to seeing how this all goes.

Update one day later (didn't see the need to post a separate message): looks like all is complete. Future flights all show me as Sky Priority, and I was able to switch to Preferred seats. My in-app card now shows correct status (valid through 12/15). The website shows my status as running from today (09.17.15) through 12.17.15. I'll have enough EQMs to complete the challenge by the middle of November, so I look forward to seeing that date updated to 01/17 after then.

Last edited by Carl; Sep 17, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I applied for the challenge and followed up via the website as to the status of my request as I've heard nothing. I got a reply saying they could do nothing via email and I had to call to discuss?? I've got flights next week which I'd like to credit to Delta as opposed to another ST member but if they can't pull their finger out I will be shifting my focus elsewhere.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Neil791
I applied for the challenge and followed up via the website as to the status of my request as I've heard nothing. I got a reply saying they could do nothing via email and I had to call to discuss?? I've got flights next week which I'd like to credit to Delta as opposed to another ST member but if they can't pull their finger out I will be shifting my focus elsewhere.
Has it been at least ten business days since you applied and submitted documentation? Did they give you a special number to call? I'd certainly jump on that if you've got flights next week!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Does anyone know how rollover MQM work during/after the challenge?

E.g., suppose I match to Platinum in August 2015, and meet the 18,750 MQM requirement by the end of September. Do the rest of my MQMs earned in 2015 start to "roll over" to 2016, as they would if I had made Platinum the normal way, or do they just disappear?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by milypan

E.g., suppose I match to Platinum in August 2015, and meet the 18,750 MQM requirement by the end of September. Do the rest of my MQMs earned in 2015 start to "roll over" to 2016, as they would if I had made Platinum the normal way, or do they just disappear?
No they won't roll over unless you qualify normally.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: 1k
I hope all the Delta lovers do their research.

Maybe it depends on where you fly.
I fly mostly to South East Asia.

Delta pays miles for price of ticket I believe, same as UA.

I checked several dates in December RT to SEA. The Business class ticket for pay is almost twice as much on Delta.
An award ticket RT in Business is 325,000 miles on Delta. Compared to 160,000 for UA. Same dates similar flights.
Also, the flights on Delta are not as plentiful.

Good luck with Delta. It certainly is not for me.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
13k/18k into Plat challenge from AA EXP, but as long as I can credit Delta to Alaska most of my miles will be banked there.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by milypan

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
No they won't roll over unless you qualify normally.
Only MQMs above the threshold you achieve (25k/50k/75k/125k) rollover. Unless you live outside of the USA, you also have to meet the MQD requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.