Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Anyone have an update on how long it's been taking from submission of webform and documents to challenge start?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Anyone have an update on how long it's been taking from submission of webform and documents to challenge start?
I submitted my information on May 16th and got the confirmation email on June 4th.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
I submitted a request on Sunday, July 6. Had a response the following day, and my status/challenge is effective as of today.

I put in Southwest A-List + Companion Pass thinking I'd get a challenge for SM or maybe GM... no, they gave me PM. So now I have a lofty MQM/MQS goal to meet in 90 days.

Does anyone know if you are challenged for PM, but at the end of 90 days you fall short - but still above the challenge requirements for GM - will they give you GM for the long-term?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by osupike17
I submitted a request on Sunday, July 6. Had a response the following day, and my status/challenge is effective as of today.

I put in Southwest A-List + Companion Pass thinking I'd get a challenge for SM or maybe GM... no, they gave me PM. So now I have a lofty MQM/MQS goal to meet in 90 days.

Does anyone know if you are challenged for PM, but at the end of 90 days you fall short - but still above the challenge requirements for GM - will they give you GM for the long-term?
Yes.

Originally Posted by http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/business-programs/skymiles-medallion-status-match-challenge.html
Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: US Chairman, AA Plat Pro, HHonors Diamond, National Exec
It's in the description of the challenge. Yes, you end up with whatever level you qualified for, even if it is lower than where you start. In fact for me it was even worse. Once I hit the silver threshold during the challenge I lost my PM status and immediately became SP, even though I was like 40 days into the challenge period.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:58 am

Obviously I cant read! Haha. Thanks for informing me guys. I think the only way I'll get there is to get the Reserve card, which I really dont want. I think most would say PM status is worth well more than $450 though. Hitting the threshold for GM shouldnt be an issue though.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by osupike17
Obviously I cant read! Haha. Thanks for informing me guys. I think the only way I'll get there is to get the Reserve card, which I really dont want. I think most would say PM status is worth well more than $450 though. Hitting the threshold for GM shouldnt be an issue though.
Originally Posted by http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/business-programs/skymiles-medallion-status-match-challenge.html
[Y]ou'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Originally Posted by glueguy
It's in the description of the challenge. Yes, you end up with whatever level you qualified for, even if it is lower than where you start. In fact for me it was even worse. Once I hit the silver threshold during the challenge I lost my PM status and immediately became SP, even though I was like 40 days into the challenge period.
How would this work? Delta says that they don't offer the challenge to people who have preferred status.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mith
How would this work? Delta says that they don't offer the challenge to people who have preferred status.
As mentioned up-thread, despite the fact that the challenge page only lists AA and UA, DL will match other programs as well.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Hi all, I'm thinking of doing a status match from WN. I'll hit A list in August and have companion pass.

Assuming I get the PM match like osupike17, is it worth it for me to finish the challenge if I only plan to travel for another 8 weeks (end of Sept.). I fly SJC to LAX everyweek and have accumulated ~170k pts with WN.

I'm thinking of diversifying to DL mainly because of the better product, SPG crossover benefits and Skyteam (as ...... as it is). I know I would make Gold, Plat if I get the Delta Amex Plat or Reserve, but with the recent devaluations and the low value of SkyPesos, is this challenge still worth taking or should I stick with WN for the remainder of 2014 and make it to Alist preferred? Forgot to mention Delta is giving me an extra 20k miles for flying four round trips with them and if I get a Gold Card.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by canon5dfan; Jul 12, 2014 at 2:18 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I'm a bit confused by comments from those who indicate that there are no bonus miles earned during the challenge period. The website implies that the member will receive regular benefits except with SkyTeam. Seems that they would have a disclaimer that one of the regular benefits (elite bonus) isn't offered. I'm curious: are those who report this issue perhaps doing targeted challenges rather than the regular Match Challenge?

I'm still on the fence with this one. I'm US Gold and find that even when Silver, my upgrade ratio was exceptional. Of course, I realize I'm also dealing with an expiring product, as Dividend Miles will be morphing into AAdvantage sometime next year, and I'm not thrilled with AA's version. I realize that being GM in ATL is almost a guarantee of NO upgrades, but then it could mean returning to nonstops (and greater flight availability) and a better in-cabin experience. DL is also the only mainline carrier to serve my parents' airport, now that WN exited. Then again, DL almost always means much higher fares, sometimes ridiculously so. I do miss the days when every carrier had the exact same fares...and there were so many airlines to choose!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Bonus miles (or not)

I discovered this language in the 2015 SkyMiles Program: "Members who receive complimentary Medallion status are not eligible to receive the Medallion mileage bonus for the complimentary Medallion year (excludes members who receive complimentary annual Medallion status through the Million Miler™ program or Choice Benefits gifted Medallion status) unless the member earns Medallion status through the required MQMs or MQSs and MQDs, in which case the mileage bonus for the earned tier is applied. For example, if a member is awarded complimentary Gold Medallion status, then earns Silver Medallion status by earning the required MQMs or MQSs and MQDs, the Silver Medallion mileage bonus will be applied."

So, based upon how this is written, it's not just that bonus miles aren't given during the match qualifying period but until the full regular requirements are completely satisfied. Someone could join this month and not earn any bonus miles the rest of this year, as it's already a bit late for many people to earn regular status. Then the qualification period would start all over again in January, and it could potentially take all of 2015 for the person to fly enough to hit the full target. Is it just me, or is this a horrible "match"?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

The terms you mention might apply only to people receive status gifts (Silver from Platinum Choice benefits or Gold from Diamond Choice benefits), not those who earn status from a status match/challenge.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:11 pm

According to this blog, they are indeed enforcing the match this way. That's a major turnoff, especially once the 2015 program launches. Believe I'll be giving AS a try instead.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:04 pm
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I applied on July 28th, but haven't got any reply yet. Is there any way to talk with someone at Delta? I have a lot of flights to book, and would like to get started.

Does the match apply to upcoming flights that are already booked prior to the application being processed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.