Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Well struck, Madam/sir!!

^^^
I can't remember the last time I saw a crew member up front, maybe 5 years ago
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by JoeC4025
Just as an update, the status challenge for my wife was submitted on 1/16/14, and it was approved and started on 2/12/14. So took almost 4 weeks to get the match.

Since I didn't fly Delta last year, my Silver Medallion is due to expire at the end of the month. I'm planning to get my UA Platinum matched with Delta since I'm pulling the plug on United and switching to Delta. I applied for a status match challenge on 2/12/14, so we'll see how long this takes now.
Thanks for the update. I submitted mine on 1/29 but haven't heard anything. The promised "7-14 business days" is up tomorrow but looks like I'll have to wait another week or so. I'm hoping to get the status matched by my next DL flights on 2/27...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Finally I replied back from Status match team. I submitted in early Jan, and replied back on Feb 9th.. Unfortunately, my flight started on 8th.. To make it worse, I couldn't stack my 12th flight to Delta because my trip already starts, so I cannot switch from Alaska to Delta. Why does Delta have such a strange rule?? Upon coming back home, I asked them to cancel my challenge to try later in the future.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by MtRoot
Thanks for the update. I submitted mine on 1/29 but haven't heard anything. The promised "7-14 business days" is up tomorrow but looks like I'll have to wait another week or so. I'm hoping to get the status matched by my next DL flights on 2/27...
Update: checked delta.com this morning to find my status updated overnight, so it took 3.5 weeks or 16 business days. The trial period ends on May 23 but I've already booked enough flights to extend. A bit surprised to see this processed over a weekend.

Unfortunately EC is already full on the outbound flights, but I can see "Medallion Upgrade Requested" in the reservation (not that I expect to get one).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Update: checked delta.com this morning to find my status updated overnight, so it took 3.5 weeks or 16 business days. The trial period ends on May 23 but I've already booked enough flights to extend. A bit surprised to see this processed over a weekend.

Unfortunately EC is already full on the outbound flights, but I can see "Medallion Upgrade Requested" in the reservation (not that I expect to get one).
As a DM, I can tell you that your best chances of being upgraded to first are on redeyes and regional jets. Many times I have flown on an EMB regional jet with empty seats in F.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
As a DM, I can tell you that your best chances of being upgraded to first are on redeyes and regional jets. Many times I have flown on an EMB regional jet with empty seats in F.
That's funny, I always see 20-30+ people on the UG list on all my redeyes out of SEA. I do get upgraded even as FO on shorter hops SEA<->LAX, MSP->BNA, BNA->ATL, etc. so the regional jet thing is definitely true. I actually enjoy the F in the CRJ900 between SEA and LAX, very nice experience.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by matthew64832
That's funny, I always see 20-30+ people on the UG list on all my redeyes out of SEA. I do get upgraded even as FO on shorter hops SEA<->LAX, MSP->BNA, BNA->ATL, etc. so the regional jet thing is definitely true. I actually enjoy the F in the CRJ900 between SEA and LAX, very nice experience.
Yes, upgrades on all mainline flights are tough if you are a lowly FO. But of those, redeyes are easiest. Seattle is a high demand market and underserved on transcons.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by matthew64832
Thanks for the tips. I thought I might have a good shot on ATL-PIT (CRJ-900) and in fact EC and exit rows are wide open. However somehow 9 out of 12 seats are already booked even before the DM/PM upgrade window.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the tips. I thought I might have a good shot on ATL-PIT (CRJ-900) and in fact EC and exit rows are wide open. However somehow 9 out of 12 seats are already booked even before the DM/PM upgrade window.
If you are trying to use a seat map to figure how many seats are left, forget it! I have been a numerous flights where DL blocks a seat on the map that is unoccupied. I found out that those seats were empty only when the cabin door closed!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:59 pm

If you are trying to use a seat map to figure how many seats are left, forget it! I have been a numerous flights where DL blocks a seat on the map that is unoccupied. I found out that those seats were empty only when the cabin door closed!
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen AA or UA block F seats. Lots of things to learn in the DL world!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATL is probably the most difficult hub for upgrades. You also need to consider the day of the week. If you are travelling on Sun/Mon or Thu/Fri, this is when many other business folks regularly travel and upgrades tend to be tougher. While upgrades on RJ's can at times be easier, there are many other factors to consider.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
ATL is probably the most difficult hub for upgrades. You also need to consider the day of the week. If you are travelling on Sun/Mon or Thu/Fri, this is when many other business folks regularly travel and upgrades tend to be tougher. While upgrades on RJ's can at times be easier, there are many other factors to consider.
Saturday flights have been my best day for upgrades. Sadly I rarely fly on Saturdays.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Applied for status match on feb 4. got it on feb 28. took three phone calls, 3 faxes...
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG-100K; HH-Diamond
Hi all...long time lurker, have learned a lot and now have a question that I can't find the answer to through 'search'.

I am an SEA based traveler with MVPG status on AS although many of those miles were on Delta. I applied for a status match in mid-January and was finally approved on 2/23...unfortunately, missing a mileage opportunity on Delta earlier in the month.

I now have < 90 days to meet the challenge and wondering if it is worth it given the 2015 changes...AS goes to most places I travel for business and pleasure but not Europe. I also hope to reach MVPG-75 this year.

In hindsight, I probably should have sought this match closer to this July (i was not MVPG until 12/13 so the option wasn't there last year).

Questions:
* Can one cancel the challenge and ask for it again later?

* Since I'm in Seattle, do the DMQM count towards the required 16K for a match or is it only actual miles?

* I've booked a Delta MR from SEA-ATL-SEA in May, which will give me 8K MQMs if it is doubled...took an EC seat for free. :-) If I decide to bail on the challenge, can I switch my miles over to AS and keep the EC seats? (i'm willing to pay...but don't know how it will be processed on the backend...don't want to lose seats).

* I need to fly to Chicago in April and could go either AS or DL depending on my decision...if I go with DL (no non-stops from SEA); I would book it through MSP to maximize the DMQMs from SEA. (I know MSP-ORD would not double) Would flying FC give me a mileage boost towards those required 16K MQMs or, again, is it only actual miles?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...as a newbie, I appreciate your patience and response.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Status Match--No Response

I applied for the status match on 3/1 and have yet to hear anything. How long does it usually take to get a response?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.