Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:10 am

Hope all went well...please update us on how it went.

I am doing the same run as you twice in May.

Originally Posted by matsber
First - I am new to this, not to traveling but posting on FlyerTalk.

I am in the middle of a MR to SIN on DL/NW. Getting 64K MQMs in one trip so that should take care of getting PM status back. Flew here through NRT from ATL. On the way back I will have a relatively short connection in NRT, 85 minutes, which is normally not a problem BUT with the Swine Flu things are not quite as smooth anymore.

Yesterday was the second day of mandatory health checks at NRT of each airliner before passengers could entered Japanese soil/terminal. You had to fill out a questioner and the health authorities(?) came in and performed a temperature check (non-invasive) on each passenger. Once completed, the entire plane load of passengers were "released". It took 30-45 minutes to process.

If we are late on the way back to NRT, will DL hold the connection? I am flying on NW from SIN and connect on DL to ATL, and visibility seams to be "limited" between the booking systems! Will they allow extra connection time, if necessary, for the connecting passengers? Any experiences and/or insight would be very appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM & MM; AA Gold; Marriott PP & LT PL; HH Diamond; SPG PL and many more
My concern is the "on-time-departure" record that the airlines are very concerned about, instead of focusing on providing superior customer service or on-time arrival - oh well, other soap-boxes. Since it took so long to "process" the flight at NRT on Wednesday, I am a little concerned knowing the steps to transfer, including a security screening getting boarding pass etc.

Arriving in Singapore they also measured the body-temperature, but they did it when entering the immigration area. From touch-down to the Marriott on Orchard Road - 40 minutes. Gotta love it!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
SIN-NRT-DTW connection now 50 minutes--YIKES!

Just got a schedule change for a December flight on NW...connection time at NRT went from 1:55 to 0:50!

I recall that security clearance at NRT (deplaning, walking to security, getting through the line, getting to the next gate) can take longer than that...does this connection seem reasonable?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I had same problem a few months ago. Was a bit nervous but flight SIN-NRT was early enough to even stop at NRT club, something I do and enjoy.

I was on my last SWU at the time and was first off plane so no real problem.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:13 pm
Suspended

The value of WC SkyClub membership is eroding fast.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The value of WC SkyClub membership is eroding fast.
Since I do not fly NW anymore I only know what my fellow FT report. Back over at AA I will say their clubs are not as nice, for amenities, as the WC I know.

I would sure hope NW's WC at NRT has not gone south. It was almost something that I looked as a part of entertainment for a trip.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Don't worry about it. NW operations knows about this. Oftentimes, flights from SIN and BKK arrive early anyway. I've been making 50 minute connections at NRT for years. And yes, I managed to get into the club and relax a bit too.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: nwa spg aa ua
I would agree that the ops usually know about such situations. I always see representatives running around with signs looking to guide people through clearance onto flights that are leaving soon.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by tpeflyer
I would agree that the ops usually know about such situations. I always see representatives running around with signs looking to guide people through clearance onto flights that are leaving soon.
I just did this and i only had about one hour also. There was a rep asking if anyone if on the next DTW flight, and when I said I was she literally ran with me through the huge crowd waiting to get cleared and deposited me to be a 4th or 5th person in line. I had time to go to the lounge even.^
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Thanks, guys. Why am I still nervous?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just to reiterate what others are saying... Unlike any airline's hub in the US, the NW staff at NRT do really care about you making your connection. If it's a very tight connection, someone with a "DETROIT" sign will be just outside the plane when you disembark at NRT. They will direct you and make sure the gate knows you're coming. For close, but not extremely tight connections, you're more on your own but at the security line there will be an agent to ask you what flight you're on and to direct you to an expedited line if necessary. There will then be agents in the hallways between security and your gate to hurry you along.

It is a shame you may have to miss the lounge at NRT. Four days a week there is a late flight from NRT to DTW, although I believe that is being discontinued in the fall. If possible, try to get switched to that one. I did that in April enroute from SIN and enjoyed a nice long layover at NRT, instead of a not as nice long layover at DTW.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thanks, guys. Why am I still nervous?
Completely understandable to be worried. The NW agents are right there, and will take you even to other security stations (what they did for me last trip) where there was NO line. I had time to visit the fabulous WC there, get a drink and do some followup emails, with plenty of time to board early!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thepla
Since I do not fly NW anymore I only know what my fellow FT report. Back over at AA I will say their clubs are not as nice, for amenities, as the WC I know.

I would sure hope NW's WC at NRT has not gone south. It was almost something that I looked as a part of entertainment for a trip.
Yes but there is not value in them for you if you can't use them because your connection time is too short for him.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I know that NRT does actually seem to be on top of those situations where they need to push people through but I agree that it would be nicer to have a little bit more time to walk to the WC rather than run to the gate.

I've shown up at the gate and have had to ask if I have time to go to the restroom before I get on for my next 9 hour segment which I think ought to be a basic right of some sort.

Again, my line in the sand on WC decline is that the Sapporo and Asahi machines stay in NRT...I guess I need to add the obvious...and I have time to use one of them between flights.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by Stripe
Just to reiterate what others are saying... Unlike any airline's hub in the US, the NW staff at NRT do really care about you making your connection. If it's a very tight connection, someone with a "DETROIT" sign will be just outside the plane when you disembark at NRT. They will direct you and make sure the gate knows you're coming. For close, but not extremely tight connections, you're more on your own but at the security line there will be an agent to ask you what flight you're on and to direct you to an expedited line if necessary. There will then be agents in the hallways between security and your gate to hurry you along.

It is a shame you may have to miss the lounge at NRT. Four days a week there is a late flight from NRT to DTW, although I believe that is being discontinued in the fall. If possible, try to get switched to that one. I did that in April enroute from SIN and enjoyed a nice long layover at NRT, instead of a not as nice long layover at DTW.
I can verify that the NRT security staff is quite aware if tight connections. Last June, I noticed them calling for specific flights when I was waiting in line after my flight from TPE, and they were redirecting people from those flights to a shorter security line.

I also second that the NRT WC is really nice - I'm thankful that I had plenty of time to read emails and enjoy some noodles before my connection to DTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.