Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Booking Alaska Super Saver awards with SkyMiles

Recently, as I've done in the past, I've tried to book Alaska Super Saver first class rewards using Delta miles. I like to do this for a couple of reasons; free changes and for some reason, these price at 22.5K Skymiles but are 25K Alaska miles, so it's costing me less.

Everything appears to work...I find the flights and then go to checkout and I get a 'just sold out'. When I call the DM desk, they try and process and then it comes back "unconfirmed" from Alaska for one of the flights. They tell me it's Alaska's issue and of course, Alaska says it's Delta's issue.

So, even though there is "A" availability that Delta can "see", it cannot be booked.

Anyone understand why?
Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Recently, as I've done in the past, I've tried to book Alaska Super Saver first class rewards using Delta miles. I like to do this for a couple of reasons; free changes and for some reason, these price at 22.5K Skymiles but are 25K Alaska miles, so it's costing me less.
The reason is that a roundtrip FC award on Delta is 45K miles, whereas it is 50K on Alaska.

As for the rest, ask to be transferred to tech support.

David
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The reason is that a roundtrip FC award on Delta is 45K miles, whereas it is 50K on Alaska.

As for the rest, ask to be transferred to tech support.

David
When you use DL miles, the DL mileage charts apply although you normally can only book low award tickets on partner airlines.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

I was able to book a low mileage 25K Alaska award on DL.com for 45K miles. The issue was that I could not pick one of the flights that showed in the list of availability, and neither Alaska or Delta was able to resolve it. DL couldn't and Alaska wouldn't. :-)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was able to book a low mileage 25K Alaska award on DL.com for 45K miles. The issue was that I could not pick one of the flights that showed in the list of availability, and neither Alaska or Delta was able to resolve it. DL couldn't and Alaska wouldn't. :-)
You need to contact DL if you're using DL miles. Could the agent see low award availability for the flight you wanted? Did you try hanging up and calling again or asking to talk to DL tech support if you were trying to book it on line?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need to contact DL if you're using DL miles. Could the agent see low award availability for the flight you wanted? Did you try hanging up and calling again or asking to talk to DL tech support if you were trying to book it on line?
Yes, they saw the "A" availability. I was on hold while he tried tech support.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:37 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Maybe it is me, but this makes no sense - book a 25K mile award for 45K miles?

In any case, when I book Alaska Air flights using delta.com I first check alaskaair.com for availability. Only then do I go to delta.com to book. If you are not doing this first, then you might consider it. I never have a problem finding the availability on delta.com once I find availability on alaskaair.com
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Maybe it is me, but this makes no sense - book a 25K mile award for 45K miles?

In any case, when I book Alaska Air flights using delta.com I first check alaskaair.com for availability. Only then do I go to delta.com to book. If you are not doing this first, then you might consider it. I never have a problem finding the availability on delta.com once I find availability on alaskaair.com
Correction...I was able to book the 50K Alaska mile award for 45K Delta miles. It was a typo.
This was the first time I've had this issue. It showed available on Alaska at the low award, it showed available on DL.com, but was unbookable.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
This was the first time I've had this issue. It showed available on Alaska at the low award, it showed available on DL.com, but was unbookable.
Hang up and call again. Occasionally an agent is looking at the wrong date or the wrong flight (can happen with DL-operated flights too). I have had to call back, get a different agent and everything works eventually.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by fti
Hang up and call again. Occasionally an agent is looking at the wrong date or the wrong flight (can happen with DL-operated flights too). I have had to call back, get a different agent and everything works eventually.
Thanks. I did try with multiple agents.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: CO
I am trying to book a one way AS award from SEA-ORD on Aug 19 for 20k miles, but the flights are not showing on DL.com. I can book it on the AS site, but again the availability isn't showing on DL. I'm assuming I can call and get the AS seats at that level, but interested as to why it doesn't work. Anyone experience this issue or know a way around?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:45 pm
mpp

DL does not have one-way awards. So a 20K one-way on AS means 40k on delta.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by nikbruno
I am trying to book a one way AS award from SEA-ORD on Aug 19 for 20k miles, but the flights are not showing on DL.com. I can book it on the AS site, but again the availability isn't showing on DL. I'm assuming I can call and get the AS seats at that level, but interested as to why it doesn't work. Anyone experience this issue or know a way around?
Originally Posted by mpp
DL does not have one-way awards. So a 20K one-way on AS means 40k on delta.
As mpp points out, one-way awards on DL use the same amount of miles as RTs. However, DL only has availability on partner airlines low awards, so you would have to find flights on the AS site that show 12.5K (SuperSaver) in order to book them on DL. But if you can find it (them), you'll only have to pay 25K Skymiles (one-way or round-trip).
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by Phil2016
The Chisholm agent said they even have to log into a different system to search/book Alaska flights.
Big Crock of FIBBER we use the same system as on DL flights just tick two boxes that searches specific airline, award travel, AS - AS flights are one of the few easier searches for us!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:08 am

And a roundtrip Alaska FC flight would cost 50K Alaska miles or 45K Delta miles. Not sure why, but that's how it seems to work for me, nor am I complaining. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.